Rural Metro to take over Ambulance Se...

Rural Metro to take over Ambulance Service

Posted in the Cynthiana Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
EMS Expert

Berea, KY

#1 Apr 18, 2011
Not sure if any one out there is aware...but Rural Metro is about to take over the amubulance service here in Harrison County. To most...this probably seems like a good thing...but all that glitters is not gold. Please do a google search of Rural Metro. You will quickly find that they are in jeopardy of losing their Accreditation because of billing fraud and practices with Medicare/Medicaid. Then please go ask other areas that depend on this "company" for EMERGENCY medical how that has worked out for them after year one of the contract. You will find that that in most cases.....there is only one ambulance crew on duty to service the ENTIRE County....REALLY????? One????

In the last couple of years our current ambulance service has gone from the biggest jokes...to some of the best Emergency Medical professionals around....Do you really want to see it go back to what to what it was??????

This may not be able to be stopped...but it can be corrected. Ask, beg, and plead with The Judge Executive AND Fiscal Court members to pull the $225,000 a year that is allocated to EMS in the County from Rural Metro. This, from what I understand, is a deal breaker for them. Our ambulance service needs to belong to US!...as in either to the county or the city with a contract to cover the county through our Fire Departments. With a re-vamp of our Fire Tax District this could all be possible. Rural Metro offices are located in Indiana...the only thing they care about are PROFIT numbers..NOT care in OUR community!!!
wow

Lebanon, KY

#2 Apr 19, 2011
Anything associated with metro will not be in cynthiana. Lol
Hometownboy

Lebanon, KY

#3 Apr 19, 2011
This is a very true statement made by "expert" and quite frankly if you don't want to see people from out of Cynthiana taking over businesses in Cynthiana, you should call your local magistrate today.
fireman

Martin, KY

#4 Apr 19, 2011
A fire based ems would be the best way to go. Either with the city or county, or merge both departments and have a county wide fire/ems. We don't want rural metro here.
What

Chicago, IL

#5 Apr 21, 2011
EMS Expert wrote:
Not sure if any one out there is aware...but Rural Metro is about to take over the amubulance service here in Harrison County. To most...this probably seems like a good thing...but all that glitters is not gold. Please do a google search of Rural Metro. You will quickly find that they are in jeopardy of losing their Accreditation because of billing fraud and practices with Medicare/Medicaid. Then please go ask other areas that depend on this "company" for EMERGENCY medical how that has worked out for them after year one of the contract. You will find that that in most cases.....there is only one ambulance crew on duty to service the ENTIRE County....REALLY????? One????
In the last couple of years our current ambulance service has gone from the biggest jokes...to some of the best Emergency Medical professionals around....Do you really want to see it go back to what to what it was??????
This may not be able to be stopped...but it can be corrected. Ask, beg, and plead with The Judge Executive AND Fiscal Court members to pull the $225,000 a year that is allocated to EMS in the County from Rural Metro. This, from what I understand, is a deal breaker for them. Our ambulance service needs to belong to US!...as in either to the county or the city with a contract to cover the county through our Fire Departments. With a re-vamp of our Fire Tax District this could all be possible. Rural Metro offices are located in Indiana...the only thing they care about are PROFIT numbers..NOT care in OUR community!!!
For an expert you should get facts. I work for Rural Metro. First they are not in jeopardy of losing their license. Read the other 20 articles about the investigation. Last time I was in Louisville the division manager and headquarters was there. In Kentucky they have been great. I think the counties they contract with have in writing how many units are in the county so its not up to the ambulance service. If fire does such a great job why are they looking for ways to save money right now. Lexington fire has done such a great job they are making them cut millions of costs. If fire department does it they would have a couple units. Once they are on a call than what. Rural Metro has a lot of ambulances last time I checked. I love when an EXPERT talks before they think or research. By the way where have they actually cut resources in this state. I see more being brought in. Hum!
Hometownboy

Richmond, KY

#6 Apr 21, 2011
Hey "what" obviously you are as clueless as your name. First off attacking the Fire Service is a good way to make bad enemies. Secondly if you work for Rural Metro you obviously don't matter in Cynthiana so mind your own damn business. Thirdly why don't you call your division manager and ask him why rural metro was in such hot water with the state of Arizona in May of 2009, or why they lost their contract in atlanta for trying to swindle out of coverage in "the poor zone" in 2010 or for that matter why the United States of America began an investigation into Medicare/Medicaide fraud in February of 2011 for altering reports to file for more money. I can e-mail you the copies of the articles and court cases where your employer filed suit against yahoo trying to stop this information from getting out. Open records law jackass. Obviously your division manager is either just as clueless or just a big fat liar. If you are that good of an EMT or Medic why do work for a transport service and not a Fire Department. Why don't you go back to Louisville and ask your division manager why Harrison County is the first county Rural Metro is looking into that doesn't have a Fire Based EMS service to handle real emergencies. Go to the library read a damn book educate yourself and then maybe we can debate this topic. Untill then TOPIX doesn't need another dumbass.
wow

Lebanon, KY

#7 Apr 21, 2011
Please use paragraphs hometown boy.
Hometownboy

Richmond, KY

#8 Apr 21, 2011
Hey "what" obviously you are as clueless as your name.
First off attacking the Fire Service is a good way to make bad enemies.

Secondly if you work for Rural Metro you obviously don't matter in Cynthiana so mind your own damn business.

Thirdly why don't you call your division manager and ask him why rural metro was in such hot water with the state of Arizona in May of 2009, or why they lost their contract in atlanta for trying to swindle out of coverage in "the poor zone" in 2010 or for that matter why the United States of America began an investigation into Medicare/Medicaide fraud in February of 2011 for altering reports to file for more money. I can e-mail you the copies of the articles and court cases where your employer filed suit against yahoo trying to stop this information from getting out. Open records law jackass.

Obviously your division manager is either just as clueless or just a big fat liar. If you are that good of an EMT or Medic why do work for a transport service and not a Fire Department. Why don't you go back to Louisville and ask your division manager why Harrison County is the first county Rural Metro is looking into that doesn't have a Fire Based EMS service to handle real emergencies. Go to the library read a damn book educate yourself and then maybe we can debate this topic. Untill then TOPIX doesn't need another dumbass. w"]Please use paragraphs hometown boy.
Elroy

Richmond, KY

#9 Apr 22, 2011
O Good Grief.
IDK

Richmond, KY

#10 Apr 22, 2011
I honestly don't know anything about the troubles with Rural Metro. I do know this tho that their are more than enough EMT'S on the fire dept's here within the city and county to get the job done. I also know that the fire dept's are toned out to assist the ambulance service about 95% of the time. This reason for this is because the fire dept's do have so many EMT's, and anything that has to do with the ABC's (Airway, Bleeding and Concisnous). This is especially done for EMS runs for out in the county because the county fire dept has so many of their personel that are trained EMT's. Also if you would ask around you'll find out that alot of runs are made aiding the ambulance service. So keeping it locally owned and ran would be in the best interest of everyone.
still idiots

Verona, KY

#11 Apr 22, 2011
I would rather drive myself to a hospital OUTSIDE of Harrison COunty instead of have these wannabees take me. Give a red light to a kid and they think they are on an eposide of dukes of hazard.
whatever

Toledo, OH

#12 Apr 23, 2011
IDK wrote:
I honestly don't know anything about the troubles with Rural Metro. I do know this tho that their are more than enough EMT'S on the fire dept's here within the city and county to get the job done. I also know that the fire dept's are toned out to assist the ambulance service about 95% of the time. This reason for this is because the fire dept's do have so many EMT's, and anything that has to do with the ABC's (Airway, Bleeding and Concisnous). This is especially done for EMS runs for out in the county because the county fire dept has so many of their personel that are trained EMT's. Also if you would ask around you'll find out that alot of runs are made aiding the ambulance service. So keeping it locally owned and ran would be in the best interest of everyone.
First of all the ABC's are airway, breathing and circulation. I sure hope your not one of the trained EMTS. Also the county does not have a lot of EMTS the last EMT class, that had about 8 or 9 county firefighters in it, only one of them passed the National Registry test,
What

Cadott, WI

#14 Apr 24, 2011
Hometownboy wrote:
Hey "what" obviously you are as clueless as your name.
First off attacking the Fire Service is a good way to make bad enemies.
Secondly if you work for Rural Metro you obviously don't matter in Cynthiana so mind your own damn business.
Thirdly why don't you call your division manager and ask him why rural metro was in such hot water with the state of Arizona in May of 2009, or why they lost their contract in atlanta for trying to swindle out of coverage in "the poor zone" in 2010 or for that matter why the United States of America began an investigation into Medicare/Medicaide fraud in February of 2011 for altering reports to file for more money. I can e-mail you the copies of the articles and court cases where your employer filed suit against yahoo trying to stop this information from getting out. Open records law jackass.
Obviously your division manager is either just as clueless or just a big fat liar. If you are that good of an EMT or Medic why do work for a transport service and not a Fire Department. Why don't you go back to Louisville and ask your division manager why Harrison County is the first county Rural Metro is looking into that doesn't have a Fire Based EMS service to handle real emergencies. Go to the library read a damn book educate yourself and then maybe we can debate this topic. Untill then TOPIX doesn't need another dumbass. w"]Please use paragraphs hometown boy.
I am not saying fire departments don't give good service and are a very important part of the counties they serve but its funny I have read MANY articles in which fire departments are investigated also. I am saying that if you look at all the articles as you say I don't it shows that fire departments don't have a great return on EMS revenue. Last time I checked the country was in huge financial trouble. Its also funny you talk about a transport service. Rural/Metro has some of the largest 911 contracts in this country and they must do it well since they seem to get more and more each year. In fact as you say I'm dumbass but from the words I could understand in the research I did private services make up a large portion of 911 contracts across the country including the one in question for the last several years. I also know from history many investigations have been done for fraud. I also know many of these turn out to be nothing. I also know an investigation is just that. How many times has a fire department across this country been investigated for something which turned out to be nothing. I could go on and on but just to finish if Atlanta as you say is against Rural/Metro why are they still doing 911 and just expanded their 911 area? Maybe we just read the artlcles we want?! Funny how Rural/Metro and AMR continue to grow but they don't know what they are doing and both are being bought by larger companies????? I never said fire departments weren't good at their job. They are great but lets face facts they aren't any better at EMS than private companies. Every article you quote I can show two against it. We should all have pride where we work. I'm glad you do but so do I. I have read a TON of articles on the great 911 service Rural/Metro provides across this country. You quoted one which wasn't completely true and you talk about investigations. Funny Rural/Metro is still licensed to do business. so one dumbass to another make sure you don't go off half cocked.
Cyn

United States

#15 Apr 24, 2011
I work at a nursing home in Cyn and we use Rural metro for our psych cases and it takes them hours to pick anybody up. When they get there they are rude. Our EMT's may not be the best but they are from here and know how to treat a small town.
honeysuckle

Lexington, KY

#16 Apr 24, 2011
We need to keep what is ours. The city and country governements should purchase the ambulance service and Mrs. JIm Brown should sell it to then for cost only. Thats the least that she can do, they have enough money to make this a charitable contribution from JIm and Martha.
Hometownboy

Lebanon, KY

#17 Apr 25, 2011
What wrote:
<quoted text>I am not saying fire departments don't give good service and are a very important part of the counties they serve but its funny I have read MANY articles in which fire departments are investigated also. I am saying that if you look at all the articles as you say I don't it shows that fire departments don't have a great return on EMS revenue. Last time I checked the country was in huge financial trouble. Its also funny you talk about a transport service. Rural/Metro has some of the largest 911 contracts in this country and they must do it well since they seem to get more and more each year. In fact as you say I'm dumbass but from the words I could understand in the research I did private services make up a large portion of 911 contracts across the country including the one in question for the last several years. I also know from history many investigations have been done for fraud. I also know many of these turn out to be nothing. I also know an investigation is just that. How many times has a fire department across this country been investigated for something which turned out to be nothing. I could go on and on but just to finish if Atlanta as you say is against Rural/Metro why are they still doing 911 and just expanded their 911 area? Maybe we just read the artlcles we want?! Funny how Rural/Metro and AMR continue to grow but they don't know what they are doing and both are being bought by larger companies????? I never said fire departments weren't good at their job. They are great but lets face facts they aren't any better at EMS than private companies. Every article you quote I can show two against it. We should all have pride where we work. I'm glad you do but so do I. I have read a TON of articles on the great 911 service Rural/Metro provides across this country. You quoted one which wasn't completely true and you talk about investigations. Funny Rural/Metro is still licensed to do business. so one dumbass to another make sure you don't go off half cocked.
Actually you are bad mouthing Fire Departments. Quite frankly you should probably find the nearest one and apolagize because private ems services and people such as yourself are costing them their jobs. Rural Metro is the Wal-mart of the Emergency Response world. They will provide cheaper service and give local governments all the ammo they need to get rid of public emergency response groups. However just like WALMART there is a huge sacrifice of customer service. IF what you say is true and the county is in financial hardship why would they not purchase the EMS service themselves to relieve this hardship. Answer: Good Service cost money and since Rural Metro is making tons of money apparently, what does that say about their customer service. If you actually knew anything that you were talking about you would understand the ignorance of bringing an out of town business with a history of medicare fraud into a community where medicare pays for 80% of the call volume. I would love to continue this debate but it all comes down to a simple statement

You're not from around here

You frankly have no dog in this fight and the fact that you are peddling Rural Metro propaganda makes you look more like an employee who is ignorant to the actual practices of the business they work for. You can say anything you want to on here and I can tell you that river road ballpark will never flood again, But you have no idea what that means. Just like the rest of the organization you represent you have no ties to Cynthiana or the people you will be draining money from.
What

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 25, 2011
I guess its all how you look at it. You don't work for Rural/Metro so you are doing the same thing. You just go from what you have heard. I know we have a great service. You should stay out of it since you don't work for Rural/Metro. I do know what you mean about the ball park by the way. I have seen it along with many of our crews. Further more from what I have seen they will leave the local crews anyway. I checked as a transport service as you say we do over 80 911 calls a day in Kentucky. Last time I checked we all went to the same EMT and Medic classe many of the firefighters did. So if you say we don't know what we are doing neither do you! I also did some checking and across this country Rural/Metro works with a lot of fire departments which is supported by both sides. Sounds like you should find the nearest RM employee and appologize to them. You think your god because your a fire department? You have the same training as us and what will you do if your only units are on runs? We have back up! You say be careful about making enemies. There are many many people who work for private services across this state. So I would say you should be careful. Funny that Bowling Green, Owensboro, Putuka, Louisville, and many small cities and counties are serviced by private services in this state. One last thought city and county officials are appointed. They obviously do their homework before bringing in Rural/Metro so I would say we are Macy's. You and I can go back and fourth all day but in the end its not up to little people like us.
Hometownboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you are bad mouthing Fire Departments. Quite frankly you should probably find the nearest one and apolagize because private ems services and people such as yourself are costing them their jobs. Rural Metro is the Wal-mart of the Emergency Response world. They will provide cheaper service and give local governments all the ammo they need to get rid of public emergency response groups. However just like WALMART there is a huge sacrifice of customer service. IF what you say is true and the county is in financial hardship why would they not purchase the EMS service themselves to relieve this hardship. Answer: Good Service cost money and since Rural Metro is making tons of money apparently, what does that say about their customer service. If you actually knew anything that you were talking about you would understand the ignorance of bringing an out of town business with a history of medicare fraud into a community where medicare pays for 80% of the call volume. I would love to continue this debate but it all comes down to a simple statement
You're not from around here
You frankly have no dog in this fight and the fact that you are peddling Rural Metro propaganda makes you look more like an employee who is ignorant to the actual practices of the business they work for. You can say anything you want to on here and I can tell you that river road ballpark will never flood again, But you have no idea what that means. Just like the rest of the organization you represent you have no ties to Cynthiana or the people you will be draining money from.
Hometownboy

Lebanon, KY

#19 Apr 25, 2011
The difference really is that where you may make 80 911 runs a day in Kentucky you can't spell the name of the places you operate, oh you care about the people of Paducah HELL YEAH. And Since you understand the ballpark comment where you one of those world renouned EMT's that "CYN" was talking about?

You are right however you have the same training but we are mandated to have much more of it. If you are the Macy's maybe one of these day's you can enter the big leagues. Private 911 services may be booming industry the last couple of years but the Fire Service has been booming for the last couple of hundred years. Don't be mad that you can't cut it but don't put down those who can.
LOL

Tucson, AZ

#20 Apr 25, 2011
Ouch it sounds like the lil firefighter is a little sensitive as well as ignorant. Since you do not work for a private service, all you know is hear say from whatever disgruntled employee you spoke with or whatever half fact/fiction article you read. I however have worked for a rural community hospital ran service as well as Rural/Metro and I can assure you and whoever else that wants to put their 2 cents worth of knowledge in and argue the fact, that the EMTs and Medics that work for private services are as well trained and capable as you are. There is a difference for sure though, they do not think they walk on water and aren't in it for some glorified title. They actually care about what they are doing. And for you who made the red light comment, while you're doing google searches on Rural/Metro why don't you google all EMS and Fire wrecks. Its very disappointing that its 2011 and with all the resources out there, there are still so many ignorant people.
What

Palmyra, WI

#21 Apr 26, 2011
Guess what Mr. so smart. EMS hasn't even been around 100's of years and years ago all residents were volunteers. Guess you don't realize as far as EMS training we probably do more training than you. Just because you do fire training and some EMS training if you don't do multiple ambulance runs everyday you don't have the experience. You also said a private service would take jobs away. Would the fire department keep regular employees who don't want to fire fighters. I also don't believe that most of the current employees want to work for a fire department. So don't peddle your crap about caring about your city. You just care about the fire department. I am done taking about something like this. You obviously won't see may way and I sure won't see yours.
Hometownboy wrote:
The difference really is that where you may make 80 911 runs a day in Kentucky you can't spell the name of the places you operate, oh you care about the people of Paducah HELL YEAH. And Since you understand the ballpark comment where you one of those world renouned EMT's that "CYN" was talking about?
You are right however you have the same training but we are mandated to have much more of it. If you are the Macy's maybe one of these day's you can enter the big leagues. Private 911 services may be booming industry the last couple of years but the Fire Service has been booming for the last couple of hundred years. Don't be mad that you can't cut it but don't put down those who can.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cynthiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Cabinet for families and children 13 min thanks for the he... 102
Chris Jones 1 hr Breakers 12
worst jobs 5 hr Fred 2
kevin bishop (Dec '13) 5 hr kygirl16 24
What is the deal 5 hr needdriverspracti... 2
Trump vs Hillary 8 hr Tara 21
if you think this is about you It is! 8 hr haha 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cynthiana Mortgages