Victim's family upset confessed kille...

Victim's family upset confessed killer to be released from prison

There are 6 comments on the Great Falls Tribune story from Mar 20, 2008, titled Victim's family upset confessed killer to be released from prison. In it, Great Falls Tribune reports that:

The State Board of Pardons and Parole's decision to release the man who admitted killing Cheryl Halverson surprised many in Cut Bank who still clearly remember the 1979 crime.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Great Falls Tribune.

Cousin of Cheryl

United States

#1 Apr 5, 2008
It seems like yesterday that my family visited Cut Bank to see my cousins, aunts and uncles. I remember walking by the public pool and seeing my my cousin, Cheryl Halverson, standing with her friends smiling, looking happy and beautiful. That was 1978. 30 years later I still have a sick feeling in my stomach when this man's name comes up. He shouldn't be getting out of prison!

“is it this or is it that”

Since: Sep 08

Great Falls, MT

#3 Sep 7, 2008
i would rather vote for a tough judge locally than put my vote to where i think change could trickle down the fed. it's unfortunate that crimes like these happen. i've lost a best friend to a construction accident, and i would vote or do whatever i could if someone could point the way to change in policy. but i tell you the change that i'm looking for is personal not some father figure whos' going to fix everything. it's going to be some local policy change that will prevent accidents like the one i lost my friend to and also letting a murder out of prison
Jerry C

Provo, UT

#4 Jun 10, 2012
Cousin of Cheryl wrote:
It seems like yesterday that my family visited Cut Bank to see my cousins, aunts and uncles. I remember walking by the public pool and seeing my my cousin, Cheryl Halverson, standing with her friends smiling, looking happy and beautiful. That was 1978. 30 years later I still have a sick feeling in my stomach when this man's name comes up. He shouldn't be getting out of prison!
"Cousin of Cheryl", I was a classmate and friend of Cherie's. I was out of the country serving an LDS mission when I heard the news. I've looked for the article you commented on, and cannot find it. You don't have a reference to it, do you?

Thanks!

JC
Sister of Cheri

Jones, OK

#5 Mar 26, 2013
Jerry C wrote:
<quoted text>
"Cousin of Cheryl", I was a classmate and friend of Cherie's. I was out of the country serving an LDS mission when I heard the news. I've looked for the article you commented on, and cannot find it. You don't have a reference to it, do you?
Thanks!
JC
Hi Jerry, The post was written in the Glacier County Forum. The sad thing is Secrist did get out, but on a better note the only thing he knows to do is screw up so he is back in Deer Lodge Prison hopefully for the remainder of his sentence. Still comming up for parole every year, one of my brothers or I will be there to speach for my sister. Hopefully that will help to keep him where he belongs so he can't do this to another family. Thanks for your interest.
Magister

Houghton, MI

#6 Jun 17, 2013
"Another inmate, Samuel A. Yates of Missoula, also was denied parole.

A District Court jury found Yates guilty in the April 2003 shooting death of a teenager trying to flee after breaking into Yates' car. Yates maintained he was defending himself and his two children from a threatening figure and did not commit felony murder when he shot Randy Brown, 17, in the head.

A judge sentenced him to 40 years in prison with 20 suspended. Yates' next parole board review is scheduled for 2010."

Bwahahahahaha, I wonder if Yate's car was even locked. I'll bet that change in the console of his junky car wasn't worth 75 years in prison for murder! Has anybody been visiting his kids for him, I bet they are old enough for conjugal visits now.
Magister

Houghton, MI

#7 Jun 17, 2013
kevinspeth wrote:
i would rather vote for a tough judge locally than put my vote to where i think change could trickle down the fed.
What does that even mean? Feds don't have anthing to with state criminal process other than enforcing the constitutional rights of the accused and others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cut Bank Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hapless anti-hero in Coen-style thriller May '15 Blitzking 2
News Naes Corporation Acquires Greenberry Industrial Apr '15 seen any of these 1
News Albert Nash Apr '15 seen any of these 1
News TV Veteran Matt Shakman Makes Film Directorial ... Apr '15 Jesse 1
News Cut Bank Apr '15 Jesse 1
News Rural Noir Cut Bank Deserves Comparison to Coen... Apr '15 Jesse 1
News Meet screenwriter Roberto Patino of 'Cut Bank' ... Apr '15 Jane 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cut Bank Mortgages