Residents seek to block police depart...

Residents seek to block police department

There are 142 comments on the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer story from Sep 20, 2006, titled Residents seek to block police department. In it, Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports that:

Four residents have filed a lawsuit seeking an injunction to keep Cusseta-Chattahoochee County from creating a police department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
David Gustason

AOL

#1 Sep 22, 2006
I think it is stupid to create a police department. The argument for consolidation of the city and county was to eliminate repedativity in all the local departments. Seriff cooper was approved by the citizens of Chatt. Cnty. in the last election and it should be left to the citizens to decide if he is doing a good job not the city commissioners who by the way are also elected.
Ed Richards

Columbus, GA

#3 Sep 27, 2006
The citizens of Cusseta-Chattahoochee County should be aware that Sheriff Cooper has a vested interest in stopping the police department. Under Cooper's control the sheriff's department for years has been ineffective in not only detecting and investigating criminal activity here but not serving hundreds of warrants issued by the courts. Drugs and other crimes are ignored. Deputies if he can hire and keep them are not allowed to perform their duties in a professional manner so they leave. Since the citizens voted to consolidate their government to improve the quality of life in their community, they should support the efforts of the majority of their county commissioners in improving their public safety ie: police, ambulance and fire services. If a community doesn't have good professional public safety agencies, it can forget about attracting businesses and jobs because they won't come. I encourage both the 3,000 citizens and the 19,000 citizens of the county who reside on board Ft. Benning to call/write letters and support the county commission's efforts to clean up Cusseta-Chattahoochee County.
Tracy George

United States

#4 Sep 28, 2006
The majority of the citizens of Cusseta do support the efforts of our elected officials to improve the quality of life in our community. I feel that if our elected officials do not believe Sheriff Cooper is doing his job properly then they need to deal with that issue rather than tear down the Sheriff's department and create a new police department, that we were told was not needed when it came time to vote for consolidation.
Tracy George

United States

#5 Sep 28, 2006
I notice that "Atlanta, GA" shows up under my name in the comment section, however, I repeat, I actually live and vote in Cusseta and have for the past 10 years.
Tom Rodgers

Orlando, FL

#6 Oct 3, 2006
YOU MUST BE A ROBOT OR A BOOK WORM, YOU ARE SO MISINFORMED IT IS NOT EVEN FUNNY.

YES THERE IS A DRUG PROBLEM, AND AS SHERIFF COOPER HAS BEEN TRYING TO DO WAS GET A DECENT BUDGET TO HIRE SOME PROFESSIONAL INVESTIGATORS, WHICH THE COMMISSIONERS ARE NOT ALLOWING HIM TO DO.

AS FOR PUBLIC SAFETY EMS, AND FIRE DEPARTMENT. THE CHATTAHOOCHEE COUNTY VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS AND FIRST RESPONDERS ARE AMONG THE BEST THAT I HAVE WITNESSED.

THE HAVE BEEN DOING A WONDERFUL JOB AND I AM SURE WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO. THE PROBLEM THEY HAVE IS IF AN ABBULANCE IS NEEDED THEY HAVE TO WORK MIRACLES AND WAIT 30-40 MINUTES FOR AN AMBULANCE TO ARRIVE IF ONE CAN BE FOUND AVAILABLE OR RELY ON FT. BENNING FOR MEDI-VAC CHOPPER.

INSTEAD THESE FREEAKING IDIOT COUNTY COMMISSIONERS WANT TO START UP A POLICE DEPARTMENT. MY QUESTION THE MR. COUNTY COMMISSIONERS HOW DO YOU PAY FOR IT?

HOW TO YOU PAY TO HOUSE THE DETAINEES UNTIL COURT DATE?

HOW DO YOU PAY FOR POLICE OFFICERS TO TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE COUNTY AND STATE TO SERVE WARRANT'S, EXTRIDITE SUSPECTS BACK TO CUSSETA-CHATTAHOOCHEE COUNTY?

THE LAST TIME I CHECKED THE LAW THE COUNTY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ENTIRE PROCESS OF THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM.

LET'S NOT FORGET, KEN SUDDETH WAS VERY CONTREVERSIAL IN COLUMBUS, AND HE IS FAMOUS FOR RUNNING HIS DEPARTMENT HIS WAY IRREGARDLESS OF HIS BUDGET. THAT IS WHY HE IS NO LONGER MARSHALL OF COLUMBUS GEORGIA.
Ed Richards wrote:
The citizens of Cusseta-Chattahoochee County should be aware that Sheriff Cooper has a vested interest in stopping the police department. Under Cooper's control the sheriff's department for years has been ineffective in not only detecting and investigating criminal activity here but not serving hundreds of warrants issued by the courts. Drugs and other crimes are ignored. Deputies if he can hire and keep them are not allowed to perform their duties in a professional manner so they leave. Since the citizens voted to consolidate their government to improve the quality of life in their community, they should support the efforts of the majority of their county commissioners in improving their public safety ie: police, ambulance and fire services. If a community doesn't have good professional public safety agencies, it can forget about attracting businesses and jobs because they won't come. I encourage both the 3,000 citizens and the 19,000 citizens of the county who reside on board Ft. Benning to call/write letters and support the county commission's efforts to clean up Cusseta-Chattahoochee County.
Unknown

Athens, GA

#7 Oct 6, 2006
I want to know HOW can they hire KEN SUDDETH after everything that happened with him in Muscogee Co.!!!! Does this small town really need him. I think not there is enough corupt people without adding to the fire. This was a dumb move and I am sure it will come back and bite Cusseta in the behind.
M Country

Lawrenceville, GA

#8 Oct 7, 2006
First, let me say this..Ken Suddeth was and is a known LIAR.He LIED about serving in VietNam. He is a Drunk. He Drove his Columbus City Vehicle to Gray's Bar almost every Night.He didnt run the Marshalls Office..King and Redmond ran the office.Suddeeth didnt do Crap. Lie to us all the time about Everything..Pay, Equipment,Promotions
Tom Rodgers

Carrollton, GA

#9 Oct 8, 2006
Yes I haveve heard the stories about Ken Suddeth, True or not, who cares. What I do care about is it is a know fact that Ken Suddeth will purchase items, regardless of whether the government approves of the purchase or not, in other workds if he wants it he will buy it, thereby making extra expenses to the county government, he has a track record of doing this in Columbus,
I can not wait to see the judges ruling when the injunction gets it s day in court.
I also will not vote for any of the Idiots that currently sit on the count commission for re-election as they have proved to me that they do not know how to add and subtract.
Pogo

Atlanta, GA

#10 Oct 10, 2006
I'm patiently waiting to see Cusseta's new PD clean up this hotbed of criminal activity and add an additional $600,000 dollars to the county's coffers in traffic fines, all by the end of this year before the new commission votes to make them all go away.

I'm also patiently awaiting proven perpetual motion, the colonization of Pluto by Earthlings, and total eradication of mosquitos.
Tom Rodgers

United States

#13 Oct 10, 2006
Pogo wrote:
I'm patiently waiting to see Cusseta's new PD clean up this hotbed of criminal activity and add an additional $600,000 dollars to the county's coffers in traffic fines, all by the end of this year before the new commission votes to make them all go away.
I'm also patiently awaiting proven perpetual motion, the colonization of Pluto by Earthlings, and total eradication of mosquitos.
I assume you are joking about the hotbed of crime.
Even though we do have a drug problem here, But what city doesn't.

I nicknamed Cusseta PD 2006 Keystone Cops, no vehichles to drive no jail to put them in and Columbus said don't bring em to them.

What a joke.

Just goes to show elect idiots to your government and you get idiotic decisions.

I do live in Cusseta-Chattahoochee County, GA.
Pogo

Atlanta, GA

#14 Oct 10, 2006
I kept wondering "Who is this 'Ed Richards' and why has he taken an interest in our affairs?" so I did some investigating and found that he's naught but a political activist who(somehow) got hired as a "consultant" to our new chief of police, and who has not been seen in these parts for the last week or more. I met him outside the Cusseta PD headquarters he introduced himself as "Ed Richards, executive assistant to the Chief" I responded with "<my name>, community activist" and his reply was a terse "that's good to know..."

Fast forward to today, Ed was fired from his job two days later; I'm still here, activating the community.

Mr. Richards would do well, I think, to keep close to his political affairs in Muscogee ccounty and take no part in our little squabbles on this side of Upatoi Creek./we are perfectly capable of settling our own arguments without his well-worn mantra.
James Robert

Phenix City, AL

#15 Oct 16, 2006
Just to let everyone know I running for Post 3 and if I winning I will stop this illegal Police department. The first big Question is do we need a Cusseta Police Department, and I say NO. Just to let everyone know when I take office in January I will request that the funding for the Cusseta Police be cut. We need an ambulance service more than we need another Law enforcement agent. And far as the Sheriff Department, if you don’t like, how the Sheriff Cooper is doing his job VOTE him out. You don’t minimize him from performing his duty, by starting a law enforcement agent that you can control the county with.
James Roberts

Phenix City, AL

#16 Oct 16, 2006
I live in Cusseta, Ga
Pogo

Atlanta, GA

#17 Oct 17, 2006
I was mistaken; Ed Richards didn't get fired; he never had a job here in the first place. Officially, he's not an employee of the city-county government just buddy-buddy with the Chief which in his mind gives him the right to intoduce himself as a person of power and importance; I've met wannabees like him before. When I saw him outside the rec center spewing his opinions about our Sheriff after Saturday's forum, I not-so-politely invited him to get himself across the county line and not return.

Meanwhile, our boys in blue are riding three-abreast in a county pickup coming and going who-knows-where and doing who-knows-what, during daylight hours while they wait for the new cars to arrive from wherever they're hidden. Night-time? What police? The office is closed and not a blue-suit to be found.

Thank goodness we have a dedicated sheriff and chief deputy who not only work traffic during the day, will see to it that we are not unprotected when the sun goes down.

"We have met the enemy and they is us" -- Pogo Possum
Tom Rodgers

United States

#18 Oct 17, 2006
I would like to know your qualifications.
What work experience, Formal Education, etc.

I agree We need a full time ambulance service stationed in Cusseta. I believe it should consist of at least two ambulances with 24 hour service. If the commissioners had the balls and smarts they could get federal grants to achive this.
James Robert wrote:
Just to let everyone know I running for Post 3 and if I winning I will stop this illegal Police department. The first big Question is do we need a Cusseta Police Department, and I say NO. Just to let everyone know when I take office in January I will request that the funding for the Cusseta Police be cut. We need an ambulance service more than we need another Law enforcement agent. And far as the Sheriff Department, if you don’t like, how the Sheriff Cooper is doing his job VOTE him out. You don’t minimize him from performing his duty, by starting a law enforcement agent that you can control the county with.
Tom Rodgers

United States

#19 Oct 17, 2006
About last saturdays forum. Why didn't they let everyone in this county know about it. They could have posted on local news and had the ledger post it as well as putting a poster at post office.

Just like they always do The true citizens always find out to late.
Pogo wrote:
I was mistaken; Ed Richards didn't get fired; he never had a job here in the first place. Officially, he's not an employee of the city-county government just buddy-buddy with the Chief which in his mind gives him the right to intoduce himself as a person of power and importance; I've met wannabees like him before. When I saw him outside the rec center spewing his opinions about our Sheriff after Saturday's forum, I not-so-politely invited him to get himself across the county line and not return.
Meanwhile, our boys in blue are riding three-abreast in a county pickup coming and going who-knows-where and doing who-knows-what, during daylight hours while they wait for the new cars to arrive from wherever they're hidden. Night-time? What police? The office is closed and not a blue-suit to be found.
Thank goodness we have a dedicated sheriff and chief deputy who not only work traffic during the day, will see to it that we are not unprotected when the sun goes down.
"We have met the enemy and they is us" -- Pogo Possum
Pogo

Atlanta, GA

#21 Oct 18, 2006
Tom: One of the ways I keep up with things is by keeping the current calendar that comes with the water bill under my keyboard; another is by checking www.cusseta.net (the probate judge's web page) often. You can also get on the manager's mailing list by calling 3602 and asking to be included. I also read the Tri-County Journal and look for display ads from our county government as well as the legals. Actually, this event was well-publicized even if it wasn't where you thought it would be. The Ledger-Enquirer is no longer the county's "oficial newspaper; the Tri-County Journal is.
Tom Rodgers

Carrollton, GA

#22 Oct 23, 2006
Thanks, I will do as you suggested. I appreciate your response.
Pogo wrote:
Tom: One of the ways I keep up with things is by keeping the current calendar that comes with the water bill under my keyboard; another is by checking www.cusseta.net (the probate judge's web page) often. You can also get on the manager's mailing list by calling 3602 and asking to be included. I also read the Tri-County Journal and look for display ads from our county government as well as the legals. Actually, this event was well-publicized even if it wasn't where you thought it would be. The Ledger-Enquirer is no longer the county's "oficial newspaper; the Tri-County Journal is.
Justice or NOT

Pendleton, IN

#23 Oct 23, 2006
In response to Judge Van Horn saying that Sheriff Cooper doesn't uphold the law? Looking back to a time when JUDGE Van Horn was holding traffic court and an OFF duty officer was in court for speeding in a construction zone 85/35mph, and the perp challenged the calibration of the radar gun, and though Chief Deputy Chancellor presented the calibration, Van Horn dismissed the charges. That is not justice, that is prejudicial decision making on his part for revenge against the Sheriff's Department for not kissing his butt. He is also a man of GOD, and does the Bible not say "judge not lest ye be judged"? He judges Sheriff Cooper everyday and even filed charges for personal reasons and he doesn't even have a law degree, how can he sit and judge other's and have no background in LAW?????????? AND here is the kicker, This new county manager hired by the county commissioners-------he is a close personal friend of JUDGE Ken VanHorn and also a preacher. WHat bout the separation of Church and State?
Tom Rodgers

United States

#24 Oct 23, 2006
First of all let me start, "Justice or Not", you do not have the guts to state your real name. Justice or Not" should have been your subject line.

For your Question "he doesn't even have a law degree, how can he sit and judge other's and have no background in LAW??????????"

The answer is short and simple. HE WAS ELECTED.

This is my point the voters of this county elect people to offices just because they want to.

I believe for the record Judge Griffin, The Magistrate judge does not have a law degree either.

People need to vote for people with experience. Then maybe things in this county would improve.

Next time show you are not afraid the post to a forum and put your Real Name, Be a Man/Woman and stand up for what you believe in!!
Justice or NOT wrote:
In response to Judge Van Horn saying that Sheriff Cooper doesn't uphold the law? Looking back to a time when JUDGE Van Horn was holding traffic court and an OFF duty officer was in court for speeding in a construction zone 85/35mph, and the perp challenged the calibration of the radar gun, and though Chief Deputy Chancellor presented the calibration, Van Horn dismissed the charges. That is not justice, that is prejudicial decision making on his part for revenge against the Sheriff's Department for not kissing his butt. He is also a man of GOD, and does the Bible not say "judge not lest ye be judged"? He judges Sheriff Cooper everyday and even filed charges for personal reasons and he doesn't even have a law degree, how can he sit and judge other's and have no background in LAW?????????? AND here is the kicker, This new county manager hired by the county commissioners-------he is a close personal friend of JUDGE Ken VanHorn and also a preacher. WHat bout the separation of Church and State?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cusseta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Downtown Columbus building to be torn down to m... 2 hr Busted 31
News City leaders turn attention to blighted Winterf... 2 hr General Rocky 6
Poll Is the Columbus music scene legitimate (Jul '12) 2 hr General Rocky 3,839
Review: Live Music in Columbus Georgia 2 hr General Rocky 281
News Severe weather, tornadoes possible in Chattahoo... 3 hr General Rocky 44
Debt 10 hr nazi4us 4
chattahoochee county police???? (Aug '06) Jul '16 Brian Dorriety 26

Cusseta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cusseta Mortgages