Rocky R Ranch
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jacque Wunsche

Detroit, MI

#1 Aug 27, 2008
I used to work at the Rocky R Ranch owned by the Renolds family.Ihad many happy days as well as the hard work.. I wished it was still opened today...I would love to go visit and relive memories..If anyone one has pictures of the ranch could you let me know.. both old and new as well as any advertizements. Thank you..
jim joyce

United States

#2 Dec 26, 2008
Jacque Wunsche wrote:
I used to work at the Rocky R Ranch owned by the Renolds family.Ihad many happy days as well as the hard work.. I wished it was still opened today...I would love to go visit and relive memories..If anyone one has pictures of the ranch could you let me know.. both old and new as well as any advertizements. Thank you..
i also worked at the ranch in the early 70's. i have many photos i will share. how should i contact you. [email protected]
jim joyce

United States

#3 Dec 26, 2008
i also worked at the rocky r ranch in the early 70's. i have many photos i can share. how do i contact you. [email protected]
jacque wunsche

Farmington, MI

#4 Jan 25, 2009
Thanks so very much, I would love to see pictures.
Betty Weese

White Lake, MI

#5 Feb 3, 2009
jim joyce wrote:
<quoted text>
i also worked at the ranch in the early 70's. i have many photos i will share. how should i contact you. [email protected]
Hello,

I am the great granddaughter of Loretta Reynolds the owner of Rocky R Ranch. I used to go up there when I was little....always rode on the brown horse named Sugarfoot.:) I only have a few pictures left of the ranch and would love to have some more. Could you please send some to me?
Thank you so much!!!

Betty Weese
Betty Weese

White Lake, MI

#6 Feb 4, 2009
jacque wunsche wrote:
Thanks so very much, I would love to see pictures.
Hello,

I am the great granddaughter of Loretta Reynolds the owner of Rocky R Ranch. I used to go up there when I was little....always rode on the brown horse named Sugarfoot.:) I only have a few pictures left of the ranch and would love to have some more. Could you please send some to me?
Thank you so much!!!

Betty Weese
Robert Lee Weese BOB

Saint George, UT

#7 May 18, 2009
Grew up going to the ranch from 1965-1976. I am the grandson of Loretta and son of Sue Reynolds-Weese-Amlotte.
Sure wish I could Have built a cabin on that land.
Many fond memories. Always enjoyed Sparky the horse, both ponds, racing guests on the air strip with our ski-doo's 440 TNT. Uncle Bill shattered his knee cap on it using a tree for a brake. Rode the Yamaha's 250 and 360 MX with Uncle Dennis Reynolds and Uncle Bill Reynolds.
Lived in Cabin 1 next to where Uncle Dennis and Craig Smith partied in cabin 2. Climbed trees in the rain out front of the lodge. The pool was directly in front and snack bar just off cabin 1.
Split a lifetime of wood out back just off the rear door near the kitchen.
Grandma served peanut butter and butter, low fat eh.
Thursday night hay rides and many weekends of fun.
Skating on pond number 1 with Tom Weese Cherokee and cracking my sternum on the overflow drain.
Attended Harrisville Elem 6 years and Fairview HS 1/2 year before moving to Detroit and Ohio at 14. If you got in a fight on the bus and kicked off, Grandma let you enjoy the long walk, 13 miles each way.
I love you Grandma.
Jacque Wunsche

Novi, MI

#8 Jun 25, 2009
Robert Lee Weese BOB wrote:
Grew up going to the ranch from 1965-1976. I am the grandson of Loretta and son of Sue Reynolds-Weese-Amlotte.
Sure wish I could Have built a cabin on that land.
Many fond memories. Always enjoyed Sparky the horse, both ponds, racing guests on the air strip with our ski-doo's 440 TNT. Uncle Bill shattered his knee cap on it using a tree for a brake. Rode the Yamaha's 250 and 360 MX with Uncle Dennis Reynolds and Uncle Bill Reynolds.
Lived in Cabin 1 next to where Uncle Dennis and Craig Smith partied in cabin 2. Climbed trees in the rain out front of the lodge. The pool was directly in front and snack bar just off cabin 1.
Split a lifetime of wood out back just off the rear door near the kitchen.
was your horse name Black Beauty or something like that. If so I remember you when you were little and they were breaking him...
Grandma served peanut butter and butter, low fat eh.
Thursday night hay rides and many weekends of fun.
Skating on pond number 1 with Tom Weese Cherokee and cracking my sternum on the overflow drain.
Attended Harrisville Elem 6 years and Fairview HS 1/2 year before moving to Detroit and Ohio at 14. If you got in a fight on the bus and kicked off, Grandma let you enjoy the long walk, 13 miles each way.
I love you Grandma.
was your horse black beauty or something like that, if so I remember you as a child and when Bill and Dennis broke him...Do you remember Susie and nugget and Patches and Danny Boy.
Robert Lee Weese BOB

Saint George, UT

#9 Jul 1, 2009
Jacque Wunsche wrote:
<quoted text>
was your horse black beauty or something like that, if so I remember you as a child and when Bill and Dennis broke him...Do you remember Susie and nugget and Patches and Danny Boy.
Yes I rode Beauty, remember Susie, Nugget, Patches and Danny Boy. Danny Boy as I remember was the biggest of that group. I think it was Nugget that liked to bite as well as Sparky who rode me off to the barn when he was against going out for a ride. Caught the overhead cross bar of the gate to the barn with my arms as I dismounted.
Jacque Wunsche

Detroit, MI

#10 Jul 5, 2009
Suzie had two different color eyes, Danny Boy had tangled with a porcupine, Patches was a sico ,
we used to run and put out hands on patches hind quarters and leap onto her back. Thanks to Dennis for showing us how. Dutches was a sweety. Remember the donkey? more later,, if anyone has any pictures and maybe a flier could you scan them, oh doing a show on the ranch?
Jacque Wunsche

Detroit, MI

#11 Jul 5, 2009
Suzie had two different color eyes, Danny Boy had tangled with a porcupine, Patches was a sico ,
we used to run and put out hands on Sparky;s hind quarters and leap onto her back. Thanks to Dennis for showing us how. Dutches was a sweety. Remember the donkey? more later,, if anyone has any pictures and maybe a flier could you scan them, oh doing a show on the ranch?
Jacque Wunsche

United States

#12 Jul 8, 2009
Jacque Wunsche wrote:
we used to run and put out hands on Sparky;s hind quarters and leap onto her back. Thanks to Dennis for showing us how. Dutches was a sweety. Remember the donkey? more later,, if anyone has any pictures and maybe a flier could you scan them, oh doing a show on the ranch?
by the way email me at [email protected] and I was there in 1967 and you were so cute...oh ask Dennis about a 13 year old whipping him in pool.
Mary

Detroit, MI

#13 Aug 14, 2009
Hi, I worked there too!!'69-'72 I loved the square dancing every night, the swimming pool, all that candy in the candy store, the canoe rides down the ausable river, the horse back riding in the woods, Marie's great cooking,
the baby bear Bill caught and brought back to the ranch, the fire place in the lodge...I love it all. I'd love to see pics!!
People I worked with are: Craig Smith, the Joyce kids, Mike from Farmington Hills and a whole bunch more. Post pics!!
Biker

Swartz Creek, MI

#14 Aug 28, 2009
Dennis is dead. What ever happened to Mark Harrington?
jim joyce

Cleveland, OH

#15 Sep 3, 2009
Mary wrote:
Hi, I worked there too!!'69-'72 I loved the square dancing every night, the swimming pool, all that candy in the candy store, the canoe rides down the ausable river, the horse back riding in the woods, Marie's great cooking,
the baby bear Bill caught and brought back to the ranch, the fire place in the lodge...I love it all. I'd love to see pics!!
People I worked with are: Craig Smith, the Joyce kids, Mike from Farmington Hills and a whole bunch more. Post pics!!
Mary please e-mail me at [email protected] I would love to hear from you after 35 years. jim joyce
Mike from Cincinnati

Dayton, OH

#16 Sep 8, 2009
I also have fond memories of Paradise Ranch, later renamed Rocky R Ranch.

I was sad to read above that Dennis has passed away. Started going to the ranch when we were both quite young. Last time I saw him was when I went back to the ranch deer hunting when I was in high school.

I remember the square dances and canoe trips down the au sable. What was the name of the elder gent who played the organ during the dinner hour?

Also remember a hired hand named Slim who did just an awful rendition of "Send Me the Pillow that You Dream On."
MikesSister

Brownsville, TX

#17 Sep 24, 2009
Our family started visiting the ranch in the very early 60's. It was our annual tradition until around 1970. We have lots of photos of our time there--we would visit the same week as the Anderson's from Birmingham(?) Michigan and the Lichtwardt's from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. What a perfect place to run free as a child. I remember picking wild berries for the amazing pies that Gladys would bake. I remember the dinner bell.(All food memories, of course.) I also have fond memories of square dancing, hayrides, taking the horses for overnight trail rides, and the canoe trips on the Au Sable river. Severals years ago my husband and I stopped at a convenience store at the corner before you get to the ranch and asked the clerk if the Reynolds family was still around. She said that Bill came in every day for his newspaper. I asked her to give him my regards and my business card. I remember the ranch before there was a swimming pool and there was no snack bar. We ate when we were told to and if we wanted something in between meals we had to beg our parents for whatever snacks they might have stashed away for their 5:00 p.m. cocktail hour. My best ranch friends were Taffy (Stephanie) Anderson and Jeanne Lichtwardt. I'll never forget them or the special times we had at Paradise Ranch/Rocky R Ranch and, like my much older brother, I never hear "Send Me The Pillow" without thinking of Curran Michigan.
MikesSister

Dallas, TX

#18 Sep 25, 2009
Mike, I think the campfire singer of "Send Me the Pillow" was Sam. Does that sound right to you?
Mike from Cincinnati

Dayton, OH

#19 Sep 26, 2009
MikesSister wrote:
Mike, I think the campfire singer of "Send Me the Pillow" was Sam. Does that sound right to you?
MikesSister wrote:
like my much older brother, I never hear "Send Me The Pillow" without thinking of Curran Michigan.
I think you may be right, but at my advanced age it is very hard to remember!
rich

Oak Park, MI

#20 Oct 30, 2009
i have a place in Curran now just outside town on m72.its nice to here fond memories of the little town i hope to make my own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Curran Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boyscout popcorn sale Oct '17 TimJ 1
Dolls with eyes blacked out on Abbe Rd. (Sep '15) Jul '16 Mordeci 2
so proud (Jan '12) Aug '15 Spooky Ladys Side... 40
Looking (May '15) May '15 ashley92 1
devils river haunted? (Dec '14) Jan '15 Mike 3
flynn valley (Feb '10) Jan '15 Stempowski 3
Alcona County (Apr '12) Apr '12 Delphi 1

Curran Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance