Review: Butler Kennel Inc

Posted in the Cumberland Forum

Ripped Off Buyer

Bassett, VA

#1 Apr 17, 2010
We bought a puppy from this kennel. The owner said she was "selling it for a friend" and that she had never actually seen the puppy's mother, herself. The puppy turned out to have generalized Demodectic mange, which, our vet says it could only have acquired at birth from its mother, and which showed up when the puppy turned 4 months of age. We have spent hundreds of dollars in veterinary bills. The rule of thumb in breeding ethics is that females with Demodectic mange should NEVER be allowed to breed, since the offspring are inevitably contaminated and have compromised immune systems. We suspect that Butler Kennels is a front for a puppy mill or a backyard breeder with no ethics. This Kennels 'resources' should be investigated. Buyer, beware!
skeptical buyer

Midlothian, VA

#2 Jul 16, 2010
We recently purchased a puppy from Butler Kennel's but we didn't actually go to a kennel. They had an ad in the paper here in Richmond so I called. The man said they had two puppies left to sell. I went to his house in Powhatan. I asked to see the parents and he told me they were not on-site. He provided no explanation. Then I found out the two puppies left were not from the same litter. When I asked about the shots he stated they administered them himself. My vet told me the state of VA only recognizes vet-administered shots as valid so I am going to have to pay for the "supposed" shots already given. Agh! Our puppy checked out alright with the vet so we are going to keep her but this is a sketchy operation and leans towards puppy mill, if you ask me.
Heather

Richmond, VA

#3 Jul 22, 2010
I can guarentee you it is a puppy mill. Several years ago I got a bulldog pup from her. The vets in the area can confirm this. The information that shots given by someone other than a vet are incorrect. I give my two dogs their shots and keep records, which I provide to the vet with my dogs check ups. A vet however does have to give the rabies shot.
j-me

Midlothian, VA

#4 Aug 13, 2010
may i ask, what kind of pup this was...we just bought one today....
:(
Ripped Off Buyer wrote:
We bought a puppy from this kennel. The owner said she was "selling it for a friend" and that she had never actually seen the puppy's mother, herself. The puppy turned out to have generalized Demodectic mange, which, our vet says it could only have acquired at birth from its mother, and which showed up when the puppy turned 4 months of age. We have spent hundreds of dollars in veterinary bills. The rule of thumb in breeding ethics is that females with Demodectic mange should NEVER be allowed to breed, since the offspring are inevitably contaminated and have compromised immune systems. We suspect that Butler Kennels is a front for a puppy mill or a backyard breeder with no ethics. This Kennels 'resources' should be investigated. Buyer, beware!
j-me

Midlothian, VA

#5 Aug 13, 2010
we just bought a pup from there today, what type of pup did you buy? is your pup okay now?
:(
thank you
skeptical buyer wrote:
We recently purchased a puppy from Butler Kennel's but we didn't actually go to a kennel. They had an ad in the paper here in Richmond so I called. The man said they had two puppies left to sell. I went to his house in Powhatan. I asked to see the parents and he told me they were not on-site. He provided no explanation. Then I found out the two puppies left were not from the same litter. When I asked about the shots he stated they administered them himself. My vet told me the state of VA only recognizes vet-administered shots as valid so I am going to have to pay for the "supposed" shots already given. Agh! Our puppy checked out alright with the vet so we are going to keep her but this is a sketchy operation and leans towards puppy mill, if you ask me.
Alan

Quinton, VA

#6 Oct 7, 2012
I bought a dog from this lot. They told me the parents were not on site as well. The dog had ear mites and was supposed to be a Yorkie. It definately was not a full blood Yorkie like they said it was. It did have similar colorng, but the body shape and the hair length never was right. Buyer beware! If you want a real full blood then I would urge extreme caution with these people. Its seems like they take any type of dog and try to sell it as if it were full blooded with a full blood price tag! Lastly, the one dog I got from these people recently developed this chronic stomach problem where he vomits bile frequently. It is only 2 years old and already developing major health problems!
Ripped Off Buyer

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Feb 8, 2013
j-me wrote:
may i ask, what kind of pup this was...we just bought one today....
:(
<quoted text>
It was a Boston Terrier. We spent 6 months treating the mange, and the dog's pelt became normal. However her immune system is still very poor and when she received her distemper/rabies shots she went into anaphylactic shock and we almost lost her. We now have to be very careful before we give her any vaccines, and we keep her away from dog parks and sick dogs
Concerned buyer

United States

#8 Feb 14, 2014
I am supposed to pick up a boston puppy this weekend.....she has 2 left. How much did she charge you? Is your puppy doing ok now? DId you see the others?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cumberland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
latasha scott Oct 13 camwoods 1
Pat Robertson Calls for a "Revolution" - cuz - ... Aug '14 Big Mess 1
Farmville Music Thread (May '12) Jul '14 Musikologist 13
Threesome (Mar '14) Jun '14 who cares 2
8News Investigates: 'Road To Nowhere' (Jul '13) May '14 Clark 3
County line kennel reviews. (Mar '14) Mar '14 Furs Flying 2
Real work at home jobs? (Nov '13) Feb '14 mandie2014 3
Cumberland Dating
Find my Match

Cumberland Jobs

Cumberland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cumberland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cumberland

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]