Racial Taunts Prompt 3 Teens To Leave...

Racial Taunts Prompt 3 Teens To Leave Cumberland

There are 19 comments on the wjz.com story from Mar 25, 2008, titled Racial Taunts Prompt 3 Teens To Leave Cumberland. In it, wjz.com reports that:

Three black students who complained publicly of racism at a Cumberland high school have moved back to the District of Columbia.

Lakeal Ellis tells The Washington Post that she and her three daughters abandoned their dream of a quieter life in the Maryland mountains after the girls endured racial slurs and harassment at Fort Hill High School.

Their complaints prompted the principal to ban displays of the Confederate flag at the school earlier this month.

The family had lived in Cumberland less than two years. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at wjz.com.

Kristina Schreidl

Frederick, MD

#1 Apr 1, 2008
As a resident of Cumberland, and a former resident of Philadelphia, I have seen subtle attitudes of racism. However, I have not personally seen open displays of racism. I am no longer in high school but I surely remember being that age and thinking I knew better. And, I can only imagine that these offenders were juvinile in their opinions.
Certainly, their childish views should never speak for an entire county. To do so is ignorance. No one should cast sweeping judgements that everyone in Western Maryland are bigots. Afterall, I know quite a few African-Americans who are quite happy to live here and who wouldn't let the views of a few people, be they children or adults, keep them from a better life here in Cumberland.
It is unfortunate that these persons decided to retreat to the conditions of the District of Columbia again. I would never allow someone's comments, displays of arrogance, and ignorance keep me from living my own peacful life.
wood in Virginia

United States

#2 Sep 20, 2008
Here it is September 20.2008 And the Coach of Dunbar High School (Washington, DC), chooses to forfeit a football game in Cumberland ,Md. With the same Ft Hill High School crowd.

A Football coach doesn't take a 3.0 Hour drive from DC to beautiful Cumberland Maryland to be insulted by a group of punks. Then have to forfeit a game for the security of his players just to take another 3.0 hour trip home.

The reports about the racial epithets are true and this is the second reported incident at Fort Hill; then that is sad commentary for the citizens of Cumberland. Maryland. Sounds like there needs to be some parents in the stadium the next time they have a game. It also needs to be some new sport reporting in the Cumberland Times news, as it didn't report any comments on the bad behavior ; it only reported that on 2 other occasions teams had forfeited games.
http://www.times-news.com/localsports/local_s...

Are the people of Cumberland living like a Nation on White Privelage?
http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/this-you...

Just like the parents who are in stark disbelief down in Florida that their adolescent (teenage) sons 3 of them beat a black homeless man to death
in 2006.(Which was captured on Video Tape by a Security Camera!)
http://us.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/09/19/homeless.b...
Parents don't be surprised what you children are capable of doing when you aren't around or aren't in control. These three were convicted of 2nd Degree murder yesterday!They claimed they were innocent for two years. Right..even with a video tape showing them in the act.

Back to the people at Ft Hill, Cumberland, Md.
They were taught this bad behavior; it is learned generally at home, school or through their peer group. This is no acceptable behavior in our society. Even Name calling is non acceptable.
The film which has been made available to the Washington Post is clear evidence that the words were uttered in Cumberland, Maryland.
'
skyblue2

United States

#3 Sep 20, 2008
Who says they are true? were you there? I was! It didnt happen,simple as that. One incident has nothing to do with the other,totally different circumstances and unless you have ALL the facts from a reputable person and both sides,please don't assume to knwo what you are talking about. come on...
William

Gaithersburg, MD

#4 Sep 25, 2008
I am not suprised at all. Someone said it earlier. This type of hatred is passed on from generation to generation. Its a negative form of low self worth. Who cares if they hate blacks. It is only when it gets violent, that people really get hurt. People who hurt, hurt people. Ones inferiority complex for his own lack of achievement and low self esteem causes one to hurt people so they can feel like he do on the inside. Try anger management it works.
williewanker

Toledo, OH

#5 Oct 13, 2008
The day is coming when people in Cumberland will pay for this type of behavior. Seems that all you understand is violence so thats what your going to get.
Perry Mason

Merrillville, IN

#6 Oct 26, 2008
What will the confederate flag waving hillbillies do when Obama is elected President?
Wake up Cumberland! Times are changing!
Cumberland

United States

#7 Nov 17, 2008
Perry Mason wrote:
What will the confederate flag waving hillbillies do when Obama is elected President?
Wake up Cumberland! Times are changing!
That has nothing to do with this. You were not here and the incident DID NOT happen. This is the fact...jump on you tube and view it yourself. If you thing the Fort Hill players that are Black would tolerate this with their teamates you are Crazy. In fact from what I hear it is totally reversed as the Dunbar Players were giving the business to the FH players and they just took it in stride as Football. I am sure the Dunbar Coach had this in his hip pocket all along as this is not the first time they have walked off the field or attempted to walk off the field in the middle of the game. Second point is that if you think the Dunbar kids would not have been outraged and banned together on the field it this had taken place you are not looking at the big picture.
East Side

Weatherford, TX

#8 Dec 4, 2008
What makes you think that the dunbar kids are telling the truth? You automatically accept this as gospel. shame on you.
East Side

Weatherford, TX

#9 Dec 4, 2008
As for Lakeal Ellis, look up her name on
http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/...
she is not a law abiding innocent mother as portrayed in the media. she lied. she has a histoyr of being dishonest. wake up.
WesternMD

Hagerstown, MD

#11 Dec 28, 2008
Nice investigating East Side. I love that site. I use it all the time. As for the whole Fort Hill/ Dunbar event. I was there sitting with the Dunbar fans who were totally lost to what was going on and wasn't very happy how there players were acting walking off the field. It was quite shameful. It would have been nice to see FH finish driving the ball down their throats for the score. Ask any other team that played FH and they will all tell you the kids were first class.
http://www.cumberlandtalk.com
BillyBobThornton

Cumberland, MD

#12 Dec 31, 2008
The Dunbar coach pocketed his cash for being paid to play,once he had the cash it was time to go! But I am sure that NONE of that money went to the restaurant owner whose bathrooms were destroyed by HIS players prior to the game! But that is acceptable behavoir in DC. You NEVER heard mention of that on WUSA in DC did you? ALL perfect,poor mistreated folk!
LAKEAL ELLIS

Silver Spring, MD

#13 Aug 16, 2009
Wrong Lakeal o Ellis delete it
Amon L Goeth

United States

#14 Sep 12, 2009
Personally, I find it absolutely laughable,
when afro-Americans run from their own
people, for a safer quiter life among us, so
terrible, white folks.Cumberland does not
wish to become west Baltimore,with its black
crime & its more vicious,own brand,of racism.
Wherever black(anti-white,Chinese comm-
unist trained),african nationalist,have prevai-
led; against pro-civilization,industrious,w hite
builders. They take & destroy![ Zimbabwe ]!*
HUMAN AS CAN BE

Frostburg, MD

#16 Jan 3, 2010
OMG!!! Some of you people don't realize how ignorant you sound when you act like the kids who started this whole thing! You should set an example instead of jumping on the hate train!You ought to be ashamed of your selves!!
Josh

Roanoke, VA

#17 Sep 17, 2015
Hey
Josh

Roanoke, VA

#18 Sep 17, 2015
A player was crying because of a word he said he heard? Maybe it's just me, but this politically correct stuff has gotten pretty ridiculous where the worst thing anybody can do is say a word. And everybody goes along with this stuff to avoid being called racist.
The truth is, this propensity to be easily 'outraged' is nothing more than a political calculation by the left and their media designed to keep blacks a riled up reliable voting base for Democrats. Proof of this is the coverage of Zimmerman, Ferguson, and Baltimore stories which were all said to be racist in nature before any facts were known, and all of which the facts showed to be otherwise.
TexasMessianicJe w

United States

#19 Jan 21, 2016
Racism is satanism. God is a lover of pure souls not race. Those who are hateful will burn in sh'ol/hell
Dick

Washington, DC

#20 Aug 24, 2017
Western Maryland (Allegheny) is full of racist trash. Matter of fact there entire police department is infected. The worst part is that these evil people come as far as Montgomery and Baltimore Counties to work in diverse communities
Dick

Washington, DC

#21 Aug 24, 2017
I will expose every police officer on Social Media if I have to do so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cumberland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hunter douglas? (Nov '13) Aug 23 Lone Ranger 13
Don't say hello - Say "I listen to WTBO" (Aug '09) Jul '18 bacaporale1 10
Joni terry! Jun '18 Jessica 1
Rough stuff n bed Jun '18 Anonymous 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Jan '18 FireFellow44 20
your a illegal groomer if your paid with a 1099 (Jan '18) Jan '18 helpinggroomers 1
Hey (Jan '17) Dec '17 Babos 3

Cumberland Jobs

Personal Finance

Cumberland Mortgages