Stephanie??
whisper

North Fort Myers, FL

#42 Aug 6, 2012
did not know he had a girl by that name mary margereett and anthony is his
Vinny

Cumberland, KY

#43 Sep 10, 2012
Sister Theresa never abused anyone at that school. She treated all the children like they were hers. However, there was in fact an abusive teacher at St. Stephens. She wasn't a nun however. Her name was Helen Hartley. She locked one student in the closet of the basement classroom almost every single day and left him there all day long. Sister Theresa laid the law down when she discovered that was happening.
Jelly

Beckley, WV

#45 Oct 15, 2012
Oh wow! I attended St. Stephens in the mid 80's. It was a nice experience - what I remember of it anyway. I was only there for 2nd and 3rd grade. I would love to drive by the old school sometime. I haven't been back to Harlan county since my grandmother passed in 2000.
rebel

Somerset, KY

#46 Oct 27, 2012
yeah no physical torture, but damn she could sure mentally torture her young sudents for no reason, sister teresa that is
Sad

Winchester, KY

#47 Nov 8, 2012
I heard that fr. Imfeld passed away at age 86. On tuesday nov 6. Say a prayer
Vinny

Cumberland, KY

#48 Nov 23, 2012
Those dissing Sister Theresa must not have known her. She was a good teacher. Remember in those days you had the same teacher for the whole day. You didn't go to several classes in a day. She had to maintain a certain authority to keep the little hellions in order. But she wasn't a tyrant. And she wasn't abusive. She was known to perform magic tricks like pulling coins out of your ears. Around Christmas time she did a sweet thing for the kids. Everyone would get a present but not all at once. Somewhere in the building a bell would jingle. And the kids would frantically look around their desks for the present Santa brought. One or two would get one. This went on for each day until each kid got one. Of course, in the end it was just Sister Theresa sneaking the presents in while the kids were in recess. But she enjoyed letting them believe in Santa. She did all kinds of things for the kids.
Jena

Maynardville, TN

#50 Dec 1, 2012
Vinny wrote:
Those dissing Sister Theresa must not have known her. She was a good teacher. Remember in those days you had the same teacher for the whole day. You didn't go to several classes in a day. She had to maintain a certain authority to keep the little hellions in order. But she wasn't a tyrant. And she wasn't abusive. She was known to perform magic tricks like pulling coins out of your ears. Around Christmas time she did a sweet thing for the kids. Everyone would get a present but not all at once. Somewhere in the building a bell would jingle. And the kids would frantically look around their desks for the present Santa brought. One or two would get one. This went on for each day until each kid got one. Of course, in the end it was just Sister Theresa sneaking the presents in while the kids were in recess. But she enjoyed letting them believe in Santa. She did all kinds of things for the kids.
I totally agree with you! I went from kindergarden to 5th grade ther ad to move away in 1991. Lord how I missed my school back home when I moved. I cried almost everyday for about 6 months. I never once thought I was better than anyone, nor did my parents. I lived in a single wide trailor and we were poor. Mom and dad wanted my brother and I to have a good education and discipline and thats what we got. I was never abused physically or mentally. Those were the good days. The school I wernt to was very raciest and judged you on the type of cloths you wore and how much money you had. I hated! I begged momma to send me back to live with my Aunt and she would not. I enjoyed the present thing as well. Espcially when you left your sock on the desk and you would got mass and come back to all sort of goodies! To all you people who think that those kids thought they were better than you they werent. And if you think their parent's were, you might want to look at yourelf and see what is wrong with you instead of judging others.
Will Kent

Wichita, KS

#52 Mar 18, 2013
I attended Kindergarten and was in Sister Teresa's class for first grade before my family moved to SC in the mid-80s. I remember 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade all in one class, two rows of desks per level. Sister Teresa may have been a disciplinarian, but she had fun with the kids. I remember the magic tricks and Xmas treats vaguely.

I remember Sister T selling Mickey Mouse suckers at recess. And living on the SC coast since then, I miss the snow. I think some kids built an igloo out of packed snow bricks one time. We played kickball at the end of the street next to the school. Anyone remember Rusty? That's the only person from my class whose name I recall.
Joanne Brock

Harlan, KY

#53 Mar 24, 2013
I went to this school from 1965 10 1974, sister Bernadett
and sister Teresa there.Father Inflied did pass about a year ago.
Mejg

Winchester, KY

#54 Apr 6, 2013
I went to school there
joanne

Harlan, KY

#55 Apr 6, 2013
what year
Proud

Hazard, KY

#57 Apr 12, 2013
I attended St. Stephens school. This was the best school ever. Its a shame other kids,are not able to go there.
Vinny

Hazard, KY

#58 Jun 28, 2013
Sister Theresa would pull the loose teeth of students. Always with a string and would get them distracted before yanking. Never hurt anyone. She'd also throw a chalkboard eraser at anyone talking out of turn. Not hard enough to hurt but hard enough to get attention. This made everyone laugh. And a lot of little boys went home with chalk dust on their clothing as a result. She would even do magic tricks like pulling coins out of your ears. When she found out Ms. Harltey was locking up that one kid in the closet all the time she tore into her. Its a wonder she didn't kick her ass. But I guess it is unseemly for a nun to resort to violence.
what

London, KY

#60 Sep 8, 2013
vinny your a liar. Sister Theresa was very abusive. I had her for 3yrs. I seen her smack several students,I seen her break a paddle on james baily AKA wally bailey. She went to far when giving a punishment. I can go on and on.
cme

Prestonsburg, KY

#61 Sep 8, 2013
sister theresa ann was very abusive. she may not have abused all of the kids but she did abuse some of us. abuse is not something you soon forget and it makes me sick to read people saying she never abused anyone. YES she did. if you were spared be grateful, but some of us were indeed abused -- so you cannot make a blanket statement that she never abused anyone. bullcrap.
joanne

Muskegon, MI

#62 Sep 8, 2013
To what, what years were you there? I went to Saint Stevens from 1967 to 1974.
yep

Somerset, KY

#63 Sep 9, 2013
yep she didnt abuse the ones who had money,, but if she did abuse,,, shes no saint.. i know first hand.. she was awful
parent

London, KY

#64 Sep 9, 2013
Read all your comments. Even though I did not attend the school I enjoyed reading. Sounds like to me that we need more sister teresa's. Kids today have no fear of punishment.
cme

Prestonsburg, KY

#66 Sep 26, 2013
gibber wrote:
Yeah she was the best!! It wasn't abuse, it was a paddling. Don't be such a wiener.
I was never paddled by her, ever. There is a difference between discipline and abuse. I was there, you were not. You do not forget when a teacher (or anyone for that matter) abuses you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cumberland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ashley fouts miles 9 hr wig 4
george fouts 18 hr joe 1
carlos fouts 18 hr joe 1
Who the rats 21 hr old timer 8
where is Cindy Kay back Mon sup 2
Who is Cindy Back? Friend or Foe? Mon sup 2
Thieves on radio Hill Sun Mad mommy 4

Cumberland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance