Man commits suicide at gun range - Th...

Man commits suicide at gun range - The Daily Breeze

There are 52 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Feb 21, 2008, titled Man commits suicide at gun range - The Daily Breeze. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Authorities today identified a 65-year-old man who committed suicide at a Northridge shooting range by shooting himself in the head.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gene H Dreher

Manhattan Beach, CA

#1 Feb 21, 2008
Talk about the ultimate act of cowardice, suicide is bad enough, but to walk into someone's business and make a giant mess is really beyond bad. The people at the shooting range are just like any small business, except they are on the receiving end of a whole bunch of wacko garbage. Gun haters give them grief in just about every conceivable way. From "journalists" "near Cal-State Northridge" to "activists" to "non-partisan groups" to bureaucratic manure by the dump truck load, shooting ranges and gun shops really endure more abuse than anyone.(And that inluded Hermosa Beach bars and tatoo parlors.)

To have some anti-gun loser show up and "end it all", all over their business, really sucks. Notice: I really don't care about the deceased. There are lots of people who will help you if you need it, all you have to do is ask. If you do choose suicide, then to lack the decency to be neat about it really displays contempt for everyone.
the Hawk

Pasadena, CA

#2 Feb 21, 2008
Hey, Richard was just thinking about saving money: "The shooting occurred around 3:15 p.m. Wednesday at the Firing-Line indoor shooting range at 18348 Eddy St., where Mackay rented a 9-mm pistol, police said."

Why buy, if you can rent?
Gene H Dreher wrote:
Talk about the ultimate act of cowardice, suicide is bad enough, but to walk into someone's business and make a giant mess is really beyond bad. The people at the shooting range are just like any small business, except they are on the receiving end of a whole bunch of wacko garbage. Gun haters give them grief in just about every conceivable way. From "journalists" "near Cal-State Northridge" to "activists" to "non-partisan groups" to bureaucratic manure by the dump truck load, shooting ranges and gun shops really endure more abuse than anyone.(And that inluded Hermosa Beach bars and tatoo parlors.)
To have some anti-gun loser show up and "end it all", all over their business, really sucks. Notice: I really don't care about the deceased. There are lots of people who will help you if you need it, all you have to do is ask. If you do choose suicide, then to lack the decency to be neat about it really displays contempt for everyone.
SoCalPVguy

Pasadena, CA

#3 Feb 21, 2008
At least he went to the "right place" to shoot himself. He was too cheap even to buy his own gun.
SKIPPYY

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Feb 21, 2008
WHAT A ASS CLOWN TO MESS UP THE RANGES DAY
LOL

Anaheim, CA

#5 Feb 21, 2008
Unbelieveable.

No one knows, based on this article anyway, why this man chose to take his life. And yet, posters assume so much.

How do you know he was "anti-gun"?

Maybe he'd just been given a diagnosis of incurable cancer and chose not to go through the pain. Maybe he was extremely depressed.

Have at least a little compassion.
My2Cents

Carson, CA

#6 Feb 21, 2008
LOL wrote:
Unbelieveable.
No one knows, based on this article anyway, why this man chose to take his life. And yet, posters assume so much.
How do you know he was "anti-gun"?
Maybe he'd just been given a diagnosis of incurable cancer and chose not to go through the pain. Maybe he was extremely depressed.
Have at least a little compassion.
I agree. However, I hope this doesn't start a trend of suicidal people going to the gun range to take their lives. You know how it is--monkey see, monkey do.
My2Cents

Carson, CA

#7 Feb 21, 2008
Why is m-o-n-k-e-y being edited out of my above post? Since when is that a bad word?
Rick

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Feb 21, 2008
The guy rented a gun at a public firing range and proceeded to shoot himself in the head. This is not the first time this has happened. It is sad he decided to involve innocent people in ending his life.
the Hawk

Pasadena, CA

#9 Feb 21, 2008
We need to behave, says Big Brother, like up there in PV; you know what they think of each other, but they dress it in legal terms, since they are lawyers. We are to listen to the F├╝hrers, but we're not to talk.

We can repeat what they have said, or what we read in out papers, but we can't create and share opinions which are our own. We need to behave like m-o-n-k-e-y-s, but not point that out.

We can shoot ourselves as well, but not at their range. We need to do that privately, and also quietly. 30,000 Americans take that way out, every year, but we don't want to be reminded. Especially not since 24,000 of them are men. Women don't seem to have that problem, only certain men. But so it goes...!

My2Cents wrote:
Why is m-o-n-k-e-y being edited out of my above post? Since when is that a bad word?
SoCalPVguy

Pasadena, CA

#10 Feb 21, 2008
My2Cents wrote:
Ever since Howard Cosell called that african american football player a "little m o n k e y "
SoCalPVguy

Pasadena, CA

#11 Feb 21, 2008
the Hawk wrote:
We can shoot ourselves as well, but not at their range. We need to do that privately, and also quietly. <quoted text>
Feel free.
the Hawk

Pasadena, CA

#12 Feb 21, 2008
I knew you are generous; no wonder, from P.V.
SoCalPVguy wrote:
<quoted text>
Feel free.
Compassion

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Feb 21, 2008
I agree with SoCAlPVGuy --feel free, or at least just shoot your darn computer!

Copyrighted phrase --you dumb monkey!!
Compassion

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Feb 21, 2008
you dumb-m-o-n-k-e-y
realist

Anaheim, CA

#15 Feb 21, 2008
Wow, your inhumanity is appalling. Calling the deceased an "anti-gun loser" reveals more your underlying struggle with the legitimacy or morality of your own gun use than a relevant comment on the situation.
Gene H Dreher wrote:
the Hawk

Pasadena, CA

#16 Feb 21, 2008
I hope the mirror didn't break!
Compassion wrote:
you dumb-m-o-n-k-e-y
Chuy from La puente

United States

#17 Feb 21, 2008
CHANGO, USE CHANGO NEXT TIME, IT'S IN ESPAINOL
RIP

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Feb 21, 2008
I knew him. You are unbelievably insensitive. I hope his two children don't find your post calling him these things. He killed himself where his children wouldn't find his body. And when he reached out to people, they tried to help him, but they couldn't do enough. What have you accomplished with your post? I hope when you lose a loved one, nobody posts something like this about them. You should be ashamed of yourself. He had a mental illness, which you clearly understand because you clearly suffer from one. I hope it never gets the best of you. I hope you never understand his level of pain. Because frankly, given your comments, you deserve it more than he did.
Gene H Dreher wrote:
carlyg

Bullhead City, AZ

#19 Feb 21, 2008
RIP wrote:
I knew him. You are unbelievably insensitive. I hope his two children don't find your post calling him these things. He killed himself where his children wouldn't find his body. And when he reached out to people, they tried to help him, but they couldn't do enough. What have you accomplished with your post? I hope when you lose a loved one, nobody posts something like this about them. You should be ashamed of yourself. He had a mental illness, which you clearly understand because you clearly suffer from one. I hope it never gets the best of you. I hope you never understand his level of pain. Because frankly, given your comments, you deserve it more than he did.
<quoted text>
I wasn't going to reply to this, because I saw what the above people were posting. It is obvious that they do not understand. My brother killed himself with a gun then two years to the day after all of the quilt, my mother killed herself. They were not anti-gun, they were just the opposite. There were always guns in our house and we all knew how to use them. Had the guns not have been available to them they would have tried something else. When people really want to die, they will use whatever method available to them.(pills, hanging, jumping) Unfortunately for my father, he found them both. I am glad that if this guy found that he needed to die, at least he did it away from his family. My condolences to the family, this is a tragedy!
Don Karg

Phoenix, AZ

#20 Feb 21, 2008
02/21/2008
FBI Agent wantabe?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Culver City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Smugglers use Uber-registered drivers to move m... 1 hr Harry 1
Marijuana is not a Good Mind Food for Recreation. 6 hr Culture Auditor 1
Beverly Hills Police Please Read This (Apr '15) 8 hr Jeff 9
News 45 years later, Charles Manson still draws atte... (Aug '14) 16 hr Fatherted27 7
Review: Fox Moving & Storage, LLC (Sep '15) 17 hr JoseSMiller 38
LA City Hall panel backs fining companies for a... Wed Ellen 1
making money online - tips and suggestions (Jun '12) Wed sunny 16

Culver City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Culver City Mortgages