Ruby Mining in North Carolina

Ruby Mining in North Carolina

There are 13 comments on the About.com story from Mar 3, 2011, titled Ruby Mining in North Carolina. In it, About.com reports that:

When I was a kid, my parents took me on all kinds of adventure rides in and around our county.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at About.com.

Old Pete

Cullowhee, NC

#1 Mar 6, 2011
Ruby mines are a total scam. I have worked in them.

Since: Dec 09

United States

#2 Mar 9, 2011
hell, we all no. that.
Dovie

United States

#3 Mar 12, 2011
The old Gibson and Sheffield mines were the real thing but they've about played out. No one ever found the richest veins, though, and the best star rubies are still out there somewhere in Cowee.

All the rest of the dirt pits have been salted.
Hey Dovie

Cullowhee, NC

#4 Mar 12, 2011
Get a life! Thank you.
And by the way

Cullowhee, NC

#5 Mar 12, 2011
Cowee Mnt. ruby mine is the best!!!!!!!!!
joe scovack

United States

#7 Mar 17, 2011
plenty of gems to be found western n.c. and north ga.take your kids on day trips and locate old gem and gold mines.pan and have fun,you may find some nice gems,i have!!!!!
bridge dealer

United States

#8 Mar 21, 2011
I have a bridge for sale
lol

United States

#9 Mar 22, 2011
Anyone know the laws on panning for gold on the forest service lands in NC? Do I need permits or anything like that? Thanks
gold panner

United States

#10 Mar 28, 2011
No permits. Just dont get caught
nilknarfnomo

Washington, DC

#11 Jan 22, 2013
ran the old jacobs on cowee for a decade, found lots of native stones including the best find,a pure hexagon two inch ruby crystal, so yeah, the old native mines are turned out but every now and then grey sticky mud yielded clear blue sapphires and rhodolite of significant size, cut 2 kts. lots of fun, very hard work, but worth the experience!
native

United States

#12 Mar 26, 2013
The ruby mines are the biggest scam in Macon County. Non of them have native stones. They are all salted with material from India and South America.
nilknarfnomo

Washington, DC

#13 Mar 31, 2013
not true, trachoe for 2 days, 500.00$ 14 feet down, i doubt very highly that someone "salted" that, besides, i know what i experienced and saw and had faceted and set into gold ring. jacobs ruby mine former leaser here, just sayin
sponge bob

Blairsville, GA

#14 Apr 1, 2013
I have tones of the stuff, how much do you want to buy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cullowhee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bowery and Lazy Hiker, dirty hikers or homeless... 12 hr Peter Parker 10
Who's going to pay for that Parker Meadows fias... (Feb '14) 12 hr Peter Parker 20
Why is Bobby Coggins news media excluded? (Mar '15) Jun 26 Denton the Man 27
Macon County Airport (Sep '13) Jun 26 Denton the Man 15
Bankrupt Real Estate Agents in Macon County (Dec '15) Jun 26 Denton the Man 16
Franklin is not a welcoming town (Oct '12) Jun 26 Denton the Man 18
News Macon loses bragging rights for fastest growing... (Mar '11) Jun 26 Denton the Man 163
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cullowhee Mortgages