Teacher loses job over end-of-grade t...

Teacher loses job over end-of-grade testing dispute

There are 57 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from May 26, 2008, titled Teacher loses job over end-of-grade testing dispute. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

The board went into closed session for about two hours during its meeting before voting 5-0 to agree with the superintendent's recommendation that Doug Ward's contract not be renewed, Ward said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
What

Lincolnton, NC

#44 May 27, 2008
Ready for reason wrote:
Thousands of people have written letters to thier legislators regarding this seriously flawed law. 30000+ people have signed a petition calling for the law to be repealed. Eight years later and we are still dealing with NCLB. Looks like the "right" way doesn't work very well or at least not quickly enough to spare thousands of children from suffering through these demeaning tests. What, Yona, and Old Black Joe are you agreeing with No Child Left Behind's mandates? Yona, since you are so well connected then why don't we just get your relatives to sink thier teeth into this case which would be assured to go to the Supreme Court? Oh, I am sorry...are your lawyer relatives ambulance chasers?
Quit assuming you know what Mr. Ward's intentions were.
Read the other forums on this and you will see that I am no fan of NCLB. It is at the top of the presidential debates.(see: http://www.edweek.org/medias/ew/flash/11polit... ) No, that doesn't mean I believe all that each candidate will promise. But, at least it's up there. It could be way down there with internet troll laws.
Ronda

Fort Stewart, GA

#45 May 28, 2008
I agree, where are the lawyers just waiting to jump on something like this?

And in the mean time, where are the better school boards that have just a little common sense and who practice what they preach about the students coming first to give this man a job?
Jackson Mom

Spartanburg, SC

#46 May 28, 2008
Silverwolf 104 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody's "crying" anything. Facts are facts. If you have the names of some competent attorneys who would be willing to sue the federal government on Mr. Ward's behalf, without a significant retainer up front, then would you please contact Mr. Ward with the information so he could reach those attorneys? Doug Ward is probably in the phone book; if not, his school (Cullowhee Valley) could probably give you his contact information. I would also ask you to reveal where you got the information that Mr. Ward "didn't try" before he refused to give the test. Unless you are a professional colleague or personal friend of his, I would imagine that your information is heresay. If your definition of "didn't try" is simply that he did not file suit, then again, school teachers don't make the kind of money needed to file suit, and those "great" attorneys who would like to "sink their teeth" into such a suit do not advertise themselves as such. Perhaps you're on the inside track attorney-wise, but most of the rest of us are not.
Yona,

Did you provide Mr. Ward with the attorneys who would love to "sink their teeth" into this case without a retainer?

I'm certain Mr. Ward is very appreciate of your assistance.
Ronda

Fort Stewart, GA

#47 May 28, 2008
Also where are the parents of the students that Mr. Ward is trying to protect, can they get in on this too?

By the way there was another fine educator by the name of Doug Ward who was an instructor at Southwestern Community College, but who recently passed away who lived in Waynesville. so if you go to look up Doug Ward in the phone book, skip that listing.

“Conservative for America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#48 May 28, 2008
Jackson Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Yona,
Did you provide Mr. Ward with the attorneys who would love to "sink their teeth" into this case without a retainer?
I'm certain Mr. Ward is very appreciate of your assistance.
I called the school and asked for contact information. I was told that they were not giving it out due to excessive requests. I left a list of five attorneys for him. Two are in Asheville, and three in my Brothers law firm in NYC.

My Brother in law does corporate law, but is friends said they might try to contact Mr. Ward directly to see if there is a case.

I told you, he went about it wrong, but I agree with his intent.
half-back

Greenville, NC

#49 May 28, 2008
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
I called the school and asked for contact information. I was told that they were not giving it out due to excessive requests. I left a list of five attorneys for him. Two are in Asheville, and three in my Brothers law firm in NYC.
My Brother in law does corporate law, but is friends said they might try to contact Mr. Ward directly to see if there is a case.
I told you, he went about it wrong, but I agree with his intent.
Bravo to you Yona!!
It's very nice to see something positive ( at least potentially ) come from one of these threads. Thank you!!
What

Lincolnton, NC

#50 May 28, 2008
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
I called the school and asked for contact information. I was told that they were not giving it out due to excessive requests. I left a list of five attorneys for him. Two are in Asheville, and three in my Brothers law firm in NYC.
My Brother in law does corporate law, but is friends said they might try to contact Mr. Ward directly to see if there is a case.
I told you, he went about it wrong, but I agree with his intent.
Good for you! I am wondering though if you can give that list to WLOS? I'd bet they would be more willing to get it to Mr. Ward than the school. YouTube also offers a possible way to contact him. http://youtube.com/user/dug1111dug
Jackson Mom

Spartanburg, SC

#51 May 28, 2008
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
I called the school and asked for contact information. I was told that they were not giving it out due to excessive requests. I left a list of five attorneys for him. Two are in Asheville, and three in my Brothers law firm in NYC.
My Brother in law does corporate law, but is friends said they might try to contact Mr. Ward directly to see if there is a case.
I told you, he went about it wrong, but I agree with his intent.
Thank you Yona, if the school does not give Mr. Ward the info..maybe he will read the post and get in touch with you.

Sometimes we must take drastic steps to make a point. This morning on Good Morning America a family was talking about the treatment their child had received at school. They sent him to school with a tape recorder in his pocket. It was terrible how an adult (teacher) talked to the child.
What

Lincolnton, NC

#52 May 28, 2008
Jackson Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Yona, if the school does not give Mr. Ward the info..maybe he will read the post and get in touch with you.
Sometimes we must take drastic steps to make a point. This morning on Good Morning America a family was talking about the treatment their child had received at school. They sent him to school with a tape recorder in his pocket. It was terrible how an adult (teacher) talked to the child.
I've been tempted to do that before. Now, they've been told to use their cell phones if they have to. When mine were little, I rarely had a babysitter but I wouldn't be without a Nanny Cam in this day and age. Sad.
CELL PHONE

United States

#53 May 28, 2008
Just a heads up on the cell phone thing... McDowell County Schools is preparing to purchase a scrambler that will keep individuals from using their cell phones at 3 of their schools. This device supposedly scrambles the signal preventing texting and phone calls. If McDowell is looking into it you can bet that the bigger systems are too.
What wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been tempted to do that before. Now, they've been told to use their cell phones if they have to. When mine were little, I rarely had a babysitter but I wouldn't be without a Nanny Cam in this day and age. Sad.
What

Lincolnton, NC

#54 May 28, 2008
CELL PHONE wrote:
Just a heads up on the cell phone thing... McDowell County Schools is preparing to purchase a scrambler that will keep individuals from using their cell phones at 3 of their schools. This device supposedly scrambles the signal preventing texting and phone calls. If McDowell is looking into it you can bet that the bigger systems are too.
<quoted text>
I guess I can understand that. Texting, etc. in school is definitely a problem. I see potential hazards or headaches with that idea though. Might scramble more than they bargained for.
Ronda

Fort Stewart, GA

#55 May 29, 2008
I would definatly find another way to contact Mr. Ward, I highly doubt the school is going to pass on any information about attorneys to Mr. Ward. There is a listing for a D. Ward in Whittier (near Cullowhee) that might be him that I found in the phone book.

Since: Feb 07

Cullowhee

#56 May 29, 2008
Ronda wrote:
I would definatly find another way to contact Mr. Ward, I highly doubt the school is going to pass on any information about attorneys to Mr. Ward. There is a listing for a D. Ward in Whittier (near Cullowhee) that might be him that I found in the phone book.
I think Mr. Ward did what he felt he had too in order to bring attention to the testing. I'm sure he knew his job was on the line but was willing to take the risk for his students sake.

Just to clarify your statement - Whittier is closer to Cherokee than Cullowhee. I don't know where Mr. Ward lives for some reason I thought he lived in Franklin. He was posting here earlier so maybe he is still checking in and will see Yona's postings about the attorney's willing to help.
Ronda

Fort Stewart, GA

#57 May 29, 2008
I know that Cherokee is bordering Whitier, I live in Bryson City so I pass by them everyday.

I was meaning that Whittier is not far from Cullowhee, so it would be reasonable for him to live in Whittier as apposed to say, Black Mountain.

Since: Feb 07

Cullowhee

#58 May 29, 2008
Ronda wrote:
I know that Cherokee is bordering Whitier, I live in Bryson City so I pass by them everyday.
I was meaning that Whittier is not far from Cullowhee, so it would be reasonable for him to live in Whittier as apposed to say, Black Mountain.
I thought maybe you had typed Cullowhee when you meant Cherokee - my mistake.
Edgar Taylor

Philadelphia, PA

#59 Jun 17, 2008
Kudos for standing for the right! My son, a 19 year old, recently was denied graduation from high school because he did not pass the required math test. He has documented learning disabilities and an IEP that has been in place since 1st grade. He only missed by 5 points as it is. Now, he is in limbo. He cannot go back to high school because he has a Certificate of Completion, but cannot move forward because he has no diploma. Much of the math test covered more advanced math such as Algebra and Geometry, subjects that because of his IEP, he never took course work at any time during his school career. It is patently unfair to test a child over material they never had simply to make the school look good!
What

Lincolnton, NC

#60 Jun 17, 2008
Edgar Taylor wrote:
Kudos for standing for the right! My son, a 19 year old, recently was denied graduation from high school because he did not pass the required math test. He has documented learning disabilities and an IEP that has been in place since 1st grade. He only missed by 5 points as it is. Now, he is in limbo. He cannot go back to high school because he has a Certificate of Completion, but cannot move forward because he has no diploma. Much of the math test covered more advanced math such as Algebra and Geometry, subjects that because of his IEP, he never took course work at any time during his school career. It is patently unfair to test a child over material they never had simply to make the school look good!
I hate to hear this. Please don't give up. Math does not make a man. I wish your son the best opportunities ahead of him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cullowhee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cherokees, town of Franklin in Indian mound clash (Jul '12) 3 hr Just saying 8
Macon County Airport (Sep '13) 3 hr Just saying 22
News Captain D's Now Open in Franklin North Carolina (Nov '15) 13 hr Sweet jojo 7
Franklin is not a welcoming town (Oct '12) 13 hr Sweet jojo 22
Where is Kim Bishop (Jan '16) Sep 23 Anything goes 10
Asheville, NC? (Sep '11) Sep 22 donny musgrave 11
Who's going to pay for that Parker Meadows fias... (Feb '14) Sep 22 chad buldong 30

Cullowhee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cullowhee Mortgages