Bardo's courting of corporate chains ...

Bardo's courting of corporate chains challenged at WCU

There are 48 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Dec 2, 2008, titled Bardo's courting of corporate chains challenged at WCU. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Jon Ostendorff * [email protected] * published December 3, 2008 12:15 am Comments on Topix forums : CULLOWHEE Some Western Carolina University faculty members are speaking out against plans by ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#41 Dec 14, 2008
CJB wrote:
<quoted text>
...And driving may cause death or serious injury, what is your point? I am plenty mature!! I just like having a good time and am tired of tight-**** e$ trying to spoil everyone's fun. Everything has its risks. Do you go there? If so, try BYU, you might like it there. If not, then maybe you are one of those held back by some religion or are too old to remember how much fun you may have had. Worry about child molesters and kidnappers or something... the real criminals.
If you had your way, what would it be, some military prep school where no one dare disobey? Back in 04-05, the cops tried plenty hard to break up parties, even getting aggressive at times and still could not stop people from have a good time.
You should learn to enjoy life and quit sticking your nose in everyone else's business. What makes you so high and mighty anyway?
What else are they supposed to do? play board games......? awesome.
This posting proves my point. Your immaturity. And while we're at it, why are you sticking your nose into everyone else's business? Endorsing underage drinking? "Awesome"?? Grow up, Sport,and quit trying to impress everyone with how "with it" you are. Come back when you have something positive and mature to add to the discussion. Until then...go away.
CJB

Inman, SC

#42 Dec 14, 2008
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
This posting proves my point. Your immaturity. And while we're at it, why are you sticking your nose into everyone else's business? Endorsing underage drinking? "Awesome"?? Grow up, Sport,and quit trying to impress everyone with how "with it" you are. Come back when you have something positive and mature to add to the discussion. Until then...go away.
Oh you are one to talk about maturity!! It appears you have learned very little in your old age. I disagree with you and you call me names, immature of all things.

The whole 3 years I was there, I drank and partied all of the time and still graduated without a problem!!! How immature of me!!!

Soon I will be serving my country, protecting the freedoms of the likes of you to spout of your depressing rhetoric!! How much dumber and immature can I get?

The Mountains of WNC

#43 Dec 14, 2008
CJB wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you are one to talk about maturity!! It appears you have learned very little in your old age. I disagree with you and you call me names, immature of all things.
The whole 3 years I was there, I drank and partied all of the time and still graduated without a problem!!! How immature of me!!!
Soon I will be serving my country, protecting the freedoms of the likes of you to spout of your depressing rhetoric!! How much dumber and immature can I get?
I rest my case. Immaturity at its highest level is shown by this posting. Hopefully your military experience will help you grow up. "Drinking and partying" your entire 3 years at WCU is not something to be proud of, and because of your immaturity, you think it's wonderful, or as you would say, "awesome." Thanks for agreeing to serve in the military. They love to get hold of guys like you. You're in for a very interesting time. Enjoy!
CJB

Inman, SC

#44 Dec 14, 2008
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
I rest my case. Immaturity at its highest level is shown by this posting. Hopefully your military experience will help you grow up. "Drinking and partying" your entire 3 years at WCU is not something to be proud of, and because of your immaturity, you think it's wonderful, or as you would say, "awesome." Thanks for agreeing to serve in the military. They love to get hold of guys like you. You're in for a very interesting time. Enjoy!
How is it not? I made many fond memories and made many great friends I will hopefully know the rest of my life. It is part of what got me out of my shell and got the pleasure of meeting so many people. That would not have been the case had I been some bookworm or sat around on Friday/Saturday nights playing video games.

My philosophy in school was to work hard all week and play even harder all weekend. The 2 semesters I partied the most are the ones in which I got the best grades!!

Having said that, you assume far too much. Sure, some party way too much and flunk out, but maybe those are just the ones who did not belong there.

What is more mature than letting loose on the weekends and still remaining responsible?

In the end, I am very proud that I had a blast while still keeping my eye on the ball. The fact that I goofed off a lot makes it even more of an accomplishment.

The Mountains of WNC

#45 Dec 14, 2008
CJB wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it not? I made many fond memories and made many great friends I will hopefully know the rest of my life. It is part of what got me out of my shell and got the pleasure of meeting so many people. That would not have been the case had I been some bookworm or sat around on Friday/Saturday nights playing video games.
My philosophy in school was to work hard all week and play even harder all weekend. The 2 semesters I partied the most are the ones in which I got the best grades!!
Having said that, you assume far too much. Sure, some party way too much and flunk out, but maybe those are just the ones who did not belong there.
What is more mature than letting loose on the weekends and still remaining responsible?
In the end, I am very proud that I had a blast while still keeping my eye on the ball. The fact that I goofed off a lot makes it even more of an accomplishment.
How wonderful for you! I'm delighted that you'll at least admit to sometimes working hard. The point you're missing is that underage drinking means those that are not of drinking age are generally unable to handle alcohol, and therefore get into trouble. That's not to say that legal drinkers don't get into trouble, they do. But underage drinkers are too immature to understand the liability of their actions and how far- reaching their actions while under the influence of alcohol can be. Meantime, CJB, I thank you again for joining up. My best wishes to you as you begin a new chapter of your life. Stay safe.
CJB

Inman, SC

#46 Dec 14, 2008
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
My advice to you would be to quit looking down your nose at other people when trying to convince someone of your position. It comes across as condescending and will get you nowhere in an argument.

Oh gollygeewhippers how totally awsomely immature of me!!!!!!

I had a blast and I do not regret a bit of it, and neither do the 35 + year olds I have talked to. Good times are what bring joy and substance to life. If that is immature in your mind, then so be it!! I almost feel sorry for you.
CJB

Inman, SC

#47 Dec 14, 2008
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
How wonderful for you! I'm delighted that you'll at least admit to sometimes working hard. The point you're missing is that underage drinking means those that are not of drinking age are generally unable to handle alcohol, and therefore get into trouble. That's not to say that legal drinkers don't get into trouble, they do. But underage drinkers are too immature to understand the liability of their actions and how far- reaching their actions while under the influence of alcohol can be. Meantime, CJB, I thank you again for joining up. My best wishes to you as you begin a new chapter of your life. Stay safe.
I appreciate the wishes. If I came across a bit brash, it is because I do not like being lumped in with the stereotype or having to suffer for the actions of a few bad apples. I was always of the opinion that the ones you speak of were doomed from the start and maybe needed more time before attending at a university. If it is not alcohol and drugs, it is something else that will get them into trouble. If the social life is enough to throw off their focus, they do not belong in school and need more time to figure out what it is they are looking for.

I had issues with some of the over-zealous cops giving people a hard time for just hanging out at someone's apartment and not looking for trouble. Other than that, I have nothing but fond memories and was sad to see it end so quickly.

The Mountains of WNC

#48 Dec 14, 2008
CJB wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate the wishes. If I came across a bit brash, it is because I do not like being lumped in with the stereotype or having to suffer for the actions of a few bad apples. I was always of the opinion that the ones you speak of were doomed from the start and maybe needed more time before attending at a university. If it is not alcohol and drugs, it is something else that will get them into trouble. If the social life is enough to throw off their focus, they do not belong in school and need more time to figure out what it is they are looking for.
I had issues with some of the over-zealous cops giving people a hard time for just hanging out at someone's apartment and not looking for trouble. Other than that, I have nothing but fond memories and was sad to see it end so quickly.
CJB, I know that the over-zealous cops gave many of the students a harder time than most of them deserved. I appreciate that you have a problem with that. If you stayed at a house party and drank without driving, then that's a mature decision. You are also correct that many of the immature students who got into trouble due to alcohol or drugs were perhaps too immature to be at a university and should have perhaps stayed home and gone to a community college for a couple years. At any rate, I think you and I are generally on the same page, and again, I wish you well as you continue your military pursuits. It certainly helped me when I was your age. Stay safe, my friend, and let us know how you're doing. I look forward to hearing from you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cullowhee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brown Numbered signs on I-40 (Apr '08) 15 hr Mamaandme 37
Who is the biggest HO in Franklin? (Jul '10) Jun 19 S2hottie 41
The worst landlords Jun 9 Also Curious 2
News Haywood County arrests, incidents (Mar '09) Jun 8 usespellcheck 3
Food Banks Jun 3 Debbie Lynn 2
Quin Theater Sucks (Apr '11) May 29 Chesticles 33
watern hole May '17 frank 1

Cullowhee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance