West Allis mayor to veto pit bull ban

West Allis mayor to veto pit bull ban

There are 8 comments on the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal story from Dec 11, 2008, titled West Allis mayor to veto pit bull ban. In it, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal reports that:

West Allis Mayor Dan Devine said today he will veto an ordinance, apparently the first of its kind in the Milwaukee area, that would have banned pit bulls in the city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal.

NJB

Milwaukee, WI

#1 Dec 13, 2008
Thank goodness this Mayor uses his own knowledge and instincts. All of these scare tactics involving pibulls are just that...scare tactics. It seems to be the people who don't have any, don't know any, or jus "had a friend of a friend" that had a bad experience. Just like bad parents producing bad children, a bad pet owner can produce a bad pet...cat, dog, poodle, pitbull. Thanks Mayor
mars

AOL

#2 Dec 23, 2008
NJB covered my thoughts exactly. West Allis has a good mayor.
Dan

Milwaukee, WI

#3 Jan 13, 2009
Sorry pet lovers, but the mayor has the responsibility for the safety of the public. And we know the potential danger of pitbulls. But if city leadership cannot see the the risk involved, certainly the city should be held completely financially responsible in all cases of pitbull attacks.
Elizabeth

Olathe, KS

#4 Jan 14, 2009
Dan, have you ever owned a pit bull? Have you ever owned a german shepard? Have you ever owned a yorkshire terrier for that matter? You need to look at ANY vicious dog, big or small. It has been a fact for numerous years that german shepards have by far been the most human-child aggressive, resulting in the most bites. It completely depends on the single dog in the incident. ANY dog that is vicious, big or small should be put down. I am the happy owner of a beautiful 86 pound pit, and she has never shown any aggression. Should the dog I have raised to be compassionate, loyal, and who sleeps in my bed every night be taken away from me and put down for no reason, other than she's a pit? What would you tell my 2 neices who absolutely love her? How would you explain that? The dogs that should fall into the "ban" catagory should be the pits, shepards, yorkies, cocker spaniels, golden retievers, etc. that have been bred to be aggressive, or have bitten someone aggressively. You would be suprised at the damage an unattended ankle biter can do, but people look the other way because it's a small dog. I feel that irresponsible ownership of ALL breeds is to blame, and the responsible owners take the fall. If you really sit down and look at why these dogs have the reputation they do, you will see why. The trash that owns them is to blame. Any breed. Just seriously think about what you are saying. Look at all sides of the issue. It's only fair.

“I am what I carry.”

Since: Apr 07

Milwaukee

#5 Jan 15, 2009
I agree with Elizabeth. Any dog can be aggressive, regardless of breed. It's not the dog, it's the owner that instill the negative trait, or positive trait, in the dog. There are plenty of German shepards and pit bulls, for that matter, as gentle as a dove. And by the way, both are outstanding breeds!
JAW

Milwaukee, WI

#6 Jul 13, 2011
Looks at Elizabeth's comments on German Shepherds the looks at his snuggled up with the children...wonders if Lizzy needs to check her facts...

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#7 Jul 13, 2011
JAW wrote:
Looks at Elizabeth's comments on German Shepherds the looks at his snuggled up with the children...wonders if Lizzy needs to check her facts...
She needs to check her facts on what?
PR and Proud

Milwaukee, WI

#8 Jul 13, 2011
Elizabeth wrote:
Dan, have you ever owned a pit bull? Have you ever owned a german shepard? Have you ever owned a yorkshire terrier for that matter? You need to look at ANY vicious dog, big or small. It has been a fact for numerous years that german shepards have by far been the most human-child aggressive, resulting in the most bites. It completely depends on the single dog in the incident. ANY dog that is vicious, big or small should be put down. I am the happy owner of a beautiful 86 pound pit, and she has never shown any aggression. Should the dog I have raised to be compassionate, loyal, and who sleeps in my bed every night be taken away from me and put down for no reason, other than she's a pit? What would you tell my 2 neices who absolutely love her? How would you explain that? The dogs that should fall into the "ban" catagory should be the pits, shepards, yorkies, cocker spaniels, golden retievers, etc. that have been bred to be aggressive, or have bitten someone aggressively. You would be suprised at the damage an unattended ankle biter can do, but people look the other way because it's a small dog. I feel that irresponsible ownership of ALL breeds is to blame, and the responsible owners take the fall. If you really sit down and look at why these dogs have the reputation they do, you will see why. The trash that owns them is to blame. Any breed. Just seriously think about what you are saying. Look at all sides of the issue. It's only fair.
Elizabeth, you should learn to heed your words. Could the reason there are more reported German Shepard attacks than Pit Bulls (the most aggressive breed on the top 10) be the fact the Shepard also happens to be the most popular breed in the world? If there are are far more owners of Shepards than there are of Pits, it stands to reason there are going to be more reported attacks. What happens when you take the % owned versus reported attacks as your number to gauge the aggressiveness of the dog? The link before tells the tale.

http://www.toptenmostdangerousdogs.com/

On this top 10 list, the only surprise is the Dalmatian. Considering it is the only dog (I know of) to originate in the Balkans, I shouldn't be surprised it was first used in combat... that is the origin of most bigger short-haired breeds (and the only native breed makes is more likely).

The biggest difference between Pit Bulls and the MOST other dogs on the top 10 list is Pits are STILL breed to be agressive. Shepards, Chows, Dalmatians, Dobermans, Rotts, Boxers and 1-2 other dogs on the list simply are not typically bred by the "trash" you claim is to blame for the bad Pit rap. They are less likely to breed them for aggression. And my guess is, if you jail every idiot breeding and training Pits in the wrong way, you are going to end up with a dying/extinct breed.

While it is true you can train any pet to be a "bad" pet, it's also true that no other breed of dog is STILL as widely bred/trained for bloody combat in the numbers you'll find with Pits. That taints the entire breed... whether we dog lovers like it or not. I don't want to see your baby put down. But I can understand the fervor with which anti-Pit people fight against the breed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cudahy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Crowdfunding Campaign Says Polar Bears are ... Wed IB DaMann 1
Milwaukee's economic downturn Aug 25 Baroness 9
News Possible lion sighting on city's north side Aug 24 Lioness 9
cd techno Aug 23 JC 2
News South side gang shootings seem to be related (Mar '08) Aug 20 Bandit 55
News Mother's Day Shooting: Man charged in Mother's ... (May '10) Aug 20 Plevis 21
Sex store (Dec '14) Aug 19 Paul 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cudahy Mortgages