Conserving Cuba, After the Embargo

Dec 25, 2007 | Posted by: Iria | Full story: www.nytimes.com

Through accidents of geography and history, Cuba is a priceless ecological resource. That is why many scientists are so worried about what will become of it after Fidel Castro and his associates leave power and, as is widely anticipated, the American government relaxes or ends its trade embargo.

Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Dec 26, 2007
Daniel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

Cuba......Another project for the environmental extremist to set their hooks into. Another, save the Planet, project to exalt themselves, gaining grant monies, extending careers and making big of themselves. This all will be done at the expense and liberty of the society effected. If you thought communism was bad for Cuba.....Wait and see how bad it will be if the environmental extremist take over a society. They will all be walking and living in mud huts. Except, of course, the environmental extremist.

“Just a bit of common sense.”

Since: Apr 07

Santa Rosa, for now.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

Fidel and his associates leaving power? Ha. Why don't we just leave the people of cuba to their own devices? They are doing fine - they don't need the embargo lifted. I highly suspect they don't even want the embargo lifted. They get to eat healthy, cheap organic food grown right in their community. Why would they want to start eating the crap we eat in the U.S.?
BossOfAdvocateOf Devil

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

I like being cynical as much as the next guy, but there's no way that the majority of environmentalists out there are liars out for fame and fortune.

I'm no Al Gore fan, but I think he believes what he says, even if he can't come to grips with the fact that he's a hypocrite.

As for Cuba, what would you do, turn it into a desolate strip mine?
EDT

Dyer, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

PLEASE, LEAVE THE CUBAN`S ALONE!!!
Daniel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

BossOfAdvocateOfDevil wrote:
I like being cynical as much as the next guy, but there's no way that the majority of environmentalists out there are liars out for fame and fortune.
I'm no Al Gore fan, but I think he believes what he says, even if he can't come to grips with the fact that he's a hypocrite.
As for Cuba, what would you do, turn it into a desolate strip mine?
Al Gore believes very little of what he says. Al Gore is a hustler and a con man. Most politicians are. Al Gore is knowing selling snake oil and doing quite well. He has a vast audience to fleece, made up of your Easy Believing Liberals.

As far as Cuba becoming a desolate strip mine because of lack of environmental extremist intervention.......Come On, get REAL! Cuba hasn't had to put with those Silly bastards yet and if Cuba is lucky, they won't have to put up with those PHONY parasites draining society's economy and Liberty.
Issac

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

Daniel wrote:
<quoted text>
Al Gore believes very little of what he says. Al Gore is a hustler and a con man. Most politicians are. Al Gore is knowing selling snake oil and doing quite well. He has a vast audience to fleece, made up of your Easy Believing Liberals.
As far as Cuba becoming a desolate strip mine because of lack of environmental extremist intervention.......Come On, get REAL! Cuba hasn't had to put with those Silly bastards yet and if Cuba is lucky, they won't have to put up with those PHONY parasites draining society's economy and Liberty.
All you do is go around with your negative rantings. You are so FOS your eyes must be brown. Why not head on over to some political or religious forum. Go away already. You don't no sh*t about science anyway. Rant, rant, rant, blah, blah, blah; the same old McCarthy era twisted crap.
Daniel

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

Issac wrote:
<quoted text>
All you do is go around with your negative rantings. You are so FOS your eyes must be brown. Why not head on over to some political or religious forum. Go away already. You don't no sh*t about science anyway. Rant, rant, rant, blah, blah, blah; the same old McCarthy era twisted crap.
BRILLIANT COMMENT!.........From a Proud Easy Believing Liberal. A dyed in the wool member of the Sucker Class. The Fodder that the Al Gores, hustlers, con men and tyrants live off of. You easy Marks keep those who deal in CRAP, alive and WELL!
Dog Body

Pleasantville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

Meklorka wrote:
Fidel and his associates leaving power? Ha. Why don't we just leave the people of cuba to their own devices? They are doing fine - they don't need the embargo lifted. I highly suspect they don't even want the embargo lifted. They get to eat healthy, cheap organic food grown right in their community. Why would they want to start eating the crap we eat in the U.S.?
Yes things are so great in Cuba they're literally dying to leave it! Funny I don't see boat people going there. Oh and btw, people can eat organic here too, should they choose. Now that's why the embargo shouldn't be lifted it would given the Cubans a choice and liberal scum can't stand that.
Issac

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

Daniel wrote:
<quoted text>
BRILLIANT COMMENT!.........From a Proud Easy Believing Liberal. A dyed in the wool member of the Sucker Class. The Fodder that the Al Gores, hustlers, con men and tyrants live off of. You easy Marks keep those who deal in CRAP, alive and WELL!
BRILLIANT COMMENT!.........From a Proud Easy Believing Taliban Conservative. A dyed in the wool member of the Sucker Class. The Fodder that the Fundie Taliban, hustlers, con men and tyrants live off of. You easy Marks keep those who deal in CRAP, alive and WELL!
Seems to make just as much sense this way. Rant, rant, rant, blah, blah, blah.

“Try it, you'll like it”

Since: Dec 07

NoVa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

What Cuba has to offer the world, besides perhaps the fresh eyes of scientists that have been contained for too long by their communist gov't, is it's well protected environment. It's already threatened by the rising temperatures of the Caribbean, a huge influx of tourists, industrialists and real estate developers could very quickly destroy that allure. Whatever group ends up in charge there needs to have a plan that allows for economic growth while protecting what makes Cuba special in the first place. I am glad that there are already groups that working on this very problem, I just hope that it not for nothing if the new gov't just sells out.
Area 51

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

Cuba will be another Disneyworld owned and operated by Miami banking cartels who have been waiting to pounce on this plum for 50 years. The resident Cuban people will have about as much to say about running their country as Mickey has to say about Disneyworld.

Their standard of living will improve, greatly, but their property and their natural resources will be co-opted by sugar companies, mining companies, the CIA and Miami's Cuban Mafia. The rationale will be very simple, "Cuba is too valuable to be entrusted to Cubans."
Miguel

Parsippany, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

It is quite obvious you have not lived in Cuba as anything other tha a tourist ... if that!
Dave Brady

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

YES! PLEASE! I am delighted I had the opportunity to see Cuba before Wal-Mart, McDonald's, Donald Duck and THE Donald get there. There are beautiful, virtually untouched areas. There are also areas that have already been damaged by uncaring advancement, much like Eastern Europe. Let's not 'help them to death.'
Area 51

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

The Embargo (which is really a naval blockade) is one of the most corrupt land-grab deals that ever came out of Washington. Packaging helps: it's called the Cuban Democracy Act and it was bought and paid for by Cubans and a US Mafia ousted by Castro.

Now don't get me wrong, Castro, even before he was a doddering old man with Hugo Chavez at his bedside, was a failure at designing and running government. He did kill many of his opponents; he did contribute to keeping Cuba in the 19th century.

But the people who are lined up for the hog-call are interested in enriching themselves, not empowering a democratic Cuba. There has been no justification for the Embargo since the missile crisis in 1962. The confrontation was between the US and the USSR with Castro playing a stupid game of 3-dimensional chess far beyond his capabilities.

It was and has been for forty years wll within the capability of the US to normalize relations with Cuba and engineer a "soft" regime change within. Pandering to other un-named interests has always prevented this simple step in US foreign policy.

We trade heavily with the largest communist country on earth, China. We also trade with Russia, our avowed enemies in the Cold War. Who has benefitted from this deliberate move to freeze Cuba for four decades?
geo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

I'm kinda amazed at some of the harsh comments on this topic. It makes me wonder why some folks have such pent up anger and frustration, so much that they must vent publically...Hummm? MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Daniel

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

Issac wrote:
<quoted text>
BRILLIANT COMMENT!.........From a Proud Easy Believing Taliban Conservative. A dyed in the wool member of the Sucker Class. The Fodder that the Fundie Taliban, hustlers, con men and tyrants live off of. You easy Marks keep those who deal in CRAP, alive and WELL!
Yeah.......But your reply is a copy with some names changed. No Truth, no original Thought, just mindless Liberal Blab.
Bob Franklin

Loxahatchee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

As payment for harboring half of its population, the United States should just take it and make a nice vacation destination out of Cuba.
bruce

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

The only reason we don't trade with Cuba is because the politicians want the electoral votes from Florida. Most of them who do not want to trade with Cuba are relatives of the Cuban jailbirds that plundered Miami after Carter's blunder when he let come over here. Miami used to be a great place but now only in certain areas where the wackos done live.
Dog Body

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

Issac wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the Taliban is a leftist organization not conservative. In your anger you betrayed yourself...you're stupid. Or a leftist.
Issac

Woodland, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

Daniel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.......But your reply is a copy with some names changed. No Truth, no original Thought, just mindless Liberal Blab.
Duh... I knew you weren't bright enough to get the point.
Blah, blah, mindless blah.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cuba Discussions

Search the Cuba Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Fox News Commie 6,349
Cuba's Stars 6 hr John Grimbaldsun 10
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Thu Steve Douchy 6,364
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul 23 Sham Hannuty 16,777
gary baldwin Jul 22 creeps 1
China, Cuba to further advance ties Jul 22 John Grimbaldsun 4
4 arrested after New York churches are burglarized Jul 21 Avid Reader 1
•••
•••
•••
Cuba Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Cuba Jobs

•••