Spamming Charities- Warning

Spamming Charities- Warning

Posted in the Crystal Lake Forum

Anna Marie

AOL

#1 Sep 7, 2012
Yesterday I was watching ABC News, News anchors are telling people not to donate charities by mails or e-mails. They said Charities are spamming people to donate. News anchors telling people we should choose Charities but not from mails & e-mails. That is bad news. Past few days I was getting from FBI from Washington, D.C. I had about 5 mails in one month. What should be done? I hate to mess around with FBI. They are asking me to donate $25.00 for gifts they sent. I never asked for. I think people are trying to collect for Sept. 11, to help people. Not sure about it.

Here is more informations how to protect yourself and families.

Do you really believe that the FBI is sending e-mails to anyone? Do you really believe that the FBI sends gifts to people and then asks others to pay for those gifts? Do you really believe that the FBI sends gifts to anyone? Do you mean to tell me that you couldn't smell a scam from the "get-go"?
You donate to charities that you know about. You go to their regular websites and find out how you can make a legitimate donation if you want to do that. You never, ever respond to e-mails requesting that you give personal information, financial information, etc. You trash those e-mails without opening them. And, you never, ever click on links contained in e-mails.
You can go to the Federal Trade Commission's website and find a wealth of information on all types of scams and schemes. Most of them are aimed at older adults because that's where the money is and that's where the misplaced trust in others is. You can also go to the website of your state's Attorney General and find more useful information.

Here is more:

The law says that you are not required to pay for anything that you did not order. Many "charities" send things hoping that you will feel obligated to send them money. You are not. You may keep the items if you wish, or throw them away.

Many of these companies gain more money by selling a "good" address than they do if you send them a few dollars. They count on it, because other fake or bad charities then buy the list from them and the new company sends more mail, and sells your address again. Some of them are very persistent.

Have you added your name to the Direct Marketing Association list? It doesn't stop everything, but it helps a little bit.

My father and father-in-law both were victims of these "charity" scams, especially as they became less able to tell the difference between the good charities and the bad as they became older.(Dad is 98 and my father-in-law died a couple of years ago at 87). If I can help you avoid being a victim, please let us know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crystal Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do Not Visit Lakemoor Businesses Until The Red ... (Feb '13) 12 hr Ray Sulzer 52
Red Light Cameras (Mar '12) Nov 20 Terry 92
News Carpentersville man pleads guilty to sexually a... (Mar '16) Nov 10 No parking on thi... 21
News District 220 pushes back high, middle school st... Nov 10 Bob Thomas 1
New Mobile Detailing Business (May '13) Nov 6 gregg g 4
Hooters of Crystal Lake closed by FBI because o... (May '11) Nov 4 Jax 14
Drunk clerk running for county board Nov 3 2bit 2

Crystal Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crystal Lake Mortgages