Fighting Albemarle Firing Range Plans - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Albemarle County police aren't budging on plans for a new firing range and training facility. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
State LEO

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Nov 5, 2012
Pap pap pop pap

the sound of freedom.

Gunsmoke...the smell of freedom.
Dont Faifax Albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Nov 6, 2012
Being from Fairfax, I can assume Seller wants Albemarle to feel like Fairfax.

Maybe Seller will take a pay cut to pay for this if it is such a bargain.
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Nov 6, 2012
A long way to go just to shot a gun. What a waste of gas just to go that far for so many police force. They need something close to there office now so they will not waste gas and the use of cars and the time it take to go there and back to Charlottesville to go to work. There are buildings here in Charlottesville that have gone out of business and they could fix one of these buildings up and keep it close to home and less waste and use there brains to find one here.
Valley Farmer

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Nov 6, 2012
Seems to me that law enforcement needs the facility so they are ready to protect themselves and us when the need arises. Citizens have a moral and civic obligation to provide these facilities. If we don't, we have no right to ask these people to risk their lives to protect ours.
In addition, an officer's first job is to get home safely to their families each night. There is no pay scale that compensates for a preventable death.
cotaxpayer

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Nov 6, 2012
Valley Farmer wrote:
Seems to me that law enforcement needs the facility so they are ready to protect themselves and us when the need arises. Citizens have a moral and civic obligation to provide these facilities. If we don't, we have no right to ask these people to risk their lives to protect ours.
In addition, an officer's first job is to get home safely to their families each night. There is no pay scale that compensates for a preventable death.
Well said. What we pay our officers now, is a disgrace. Give them what they need to protect us when we need them.Safety comes at a cost. Our safety, the publics safety must come first. Yes, we have to make sacrificies to make this happen. The cost of doing business these days.
Focus

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Nov 6, 2012
cotaxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. What we pay our officers now, is a disgrace. Give them what they need to protect us when we need them.Safety comes at a cost. Our safety, the publics safety must come first. Yes, we have to make sacrificies to make this happen. The cost of doing business these days.
Are we talking about compensation or money to spend on a shooting range? Let's not blur the two, they are different. Why is the current facilities not good enough is my question and are there other options beside buying land. Why can't the police do what they do now two times a year?
Huh

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Nov 6, 2012
Focus wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is the current facilities not good enough is my question and are there other options beside buying land.
The county already owns the land, they don't have to buy it. The current facility is privately owned land incompatible with the amount of usage various law enforecement agencies need and the amount of use the land owners (gun club) need. In addition, the actual facilities at the gun club do not meet law enforcement needs, i.e. types of targets, range of fields, size of ranges, etc.
The law enforcement agencies need their own facility to use on their own schedule for their own needs.
Negligent Discharge

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Nov 6, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
The current facility is privately owned land incompatible with the amount of usage various law enforecement agencies need and the amount of use the land owners (gun club) need. In addition, the actual facilities at the gun club do not meet law enforcement needs, i.e. types of targets, range of fields, size of ranges, etc.
There's a little more to it than just what you mention. The Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Range and it's many civilian members are concerned about all the negligent discharges that seem to occur with Albemarle County police officers. Two officers have shot themselves since the range allowed them to come in and use the facilities. And one of the two that shot themselves was a range training officer.
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Nov 6, 2012
cotaxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Let them come and build one on your land and let them have at it. How are you going to feel now that they are on your land next to your house with your children and family walking around with maybe a stray shot come out and hit your love one. This can happen and then I bet you will think about this the rest of your life. Come on let them build next to your house and you will be protected but you can't rest for worring about maybe being a target. GO AHEAD.
Romney lost

Richmond, VA

#10 Nov 6, 2012
Let them have their own place, won't be long they'll be killing each other. Cops don't become cops for the money, obviously, they become cops to satisfy their egos, obviously.
Negligent Discharge

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Nov 6, 2012
Romney lost wrote:
Cops don't become cops for the money...
Wrong. Counting the base salary, overtime, and benefits package even a rookie cop can be making anywhere from $50,000 to $60,000, and as much as $70,000 a year. The benefits package itself includes vacation, a rather attractive retirement, health insurance, life insurance, dental plan, take home car, etc... There's plenty of overtime at John Paul Jones and sporting events alone. Those working overtime in private enterprise even get to use the take home car to get to and from (for a small fee). They don't even have to own a car and pay insurance and taxes to work overtime. This myth about police work not paying very well is so 1950s. There's a lot of local cops living in $350,000 and $450,000 homes.
Valley Farmer

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Nov 6, 2012
According to the Albemarle County Police website the starting salary is $38,000-40,000 a year. Benefits don't look out of line or overly generous for a physically demanding job. Say $10,000 for the benefits and we are talking 48,000-50,000 a year. Don't see the $50,000 to 60,000 to start out let alone $70,000.
Negligent Discharge

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Nov 6, 2012
Valley Farmer, first off, it's not a physically demanding job day in and day out. The hardest thing they do on a daily basis is getting in and out of the car. This is why you see so many overweight and obese cops on the job after 20 to 25 years. It's not even on the Top 10 of most dangerous professions.

Farmer, you forgot to add in overtime. And there is plenty of overtime in Charlottesville and Albemarle County. So much that I couldn't even begin to list it all here.

And $10,000 for the benefits package is way too low of an estimate. The take home car alone is worth a minimum of $5,000 in my opinion, especially if the officer drives into an adjoining county. Combined with the fact if a cop worked at a civilian job w/o benefits and had to pay their own health insurance, life insurance, dental and retirement, it would easily be $1,000 a month minimum for a family.

All I am saying is they make a good living with their salary and benefits. I can't afford a $350,000 to $450,000 home. There's very few cops who will have to worry about how they will pay their electric or heating bills this winter. Can you say the same?
Valley Farmer

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Nov 6, 2012
I'm sorry to say that I can't verify your assertions about overtime. That would not be a good business decision by the Department since overtime is paid at a premium. It would be better financially to hire more Officers.
I'm also puzzled by your notion that being a Police Officer isn't physically demanding. Last time I thought about it, restraining a bad guy or fighting one looked like it was physically demanding. That coupled with the stress of the job makes me think I am on pretty firm ground saying the job is physically demanding.
Not to be disagreeable, but what's wrong about owning a $350,000-450,000 home. Could be a lot of sweat equity there as well as frugality or two people in the household working.
I'm not following your case too well.
Negligent Discharge

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Nov 6, 2012
The majority of the overtime is paid by the person or organization that hires the cops. For example, the John Paul Jones arena pays, not the departments. Other overtime comes in the form of federal grants. The federal government will give the county $20,000 to work seat belt or drunk driving campaigns. DMV hands out overtime grants too.

Hand to hand combat in police work is a very rare occasion now. The first officer on the scene doesn't go bursting in any longer. They stage closeby and wait for backup to arrive. If a person does resist arrest they then pull out the stun guns or real guns. All this physical fighting like you see on TV simply doesn't happen very often. Any officer who has to go hands on more than twice a year is usually causing it himself by running his mouth off to a suspect. Many of them like to do this because assault on a police officer carries a mandatory 6 months in jail now.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a $350,000 to $400,000 home, you simply have to make the big bucks to pay for it. Government employees whining about low salaries is getting quite boring lately. And citizens who repeat their constant whining about low salaries are just as boring. The Brady lady who tried to kill her husband fireman back in August, they were living in a $750,000 home. A local police chief lives in a $750,000 home too. I have no sympathy for government employees when there's unemployed college graduates still looking for work and who would do their jobs for half of what they are making.

The Richmond Times Dispatch published all state positions and salaries where an employee made over $50,000 a few years ago. I had a difficult time finding any state employee in law enforcement I knew that wasn't on the list.
LEO

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Nov 6, 2012
Negligent Discharge wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Counting the base salary, overtime, and benefits package even a rookie cop can be making anywhere from $50,000 to $60,000, and as much as $70,000 a year. The benefits package itself includes vacation, a rather attractive retirement, health insurance, life insurance, dental plan, take home car, etc... There's plenty of overtime at John Paul Jones and sporting events alone. Those working overtime in private enterprise even get to use the take home car to get to and from (for a small fee). They don't even have to own a car and pay insurance and taxes to work overtime. This myth about police work not paying very well is so 1950s. There's a lot of local cops living in $350,000 and $450,000 homes.
Are you kidding me?!?!?!? You need to let me know about this magical police department that pays $70,000, because I will be transfering there tomorrow. You're way off base and maybe you should FOIA how much a cop actually makes before you make assumptions. Not to mention, even if we made $50,000, it's not enough to support a family and own a house in Albemarle. Our benefits are also being cut. And lastly, not every agency that works in Albemarle has overtime opportunities. So please, tell me where i can make these 70g's you refer to...
C-ville Citz

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Nov 6, 2012
Negligent Discharge wrote:
Valley Farmer, first off, it's not a physically demanding job day in and day out. The hardest thing they do on a daily basis is getting in and out of the car. This is why you see so many overweight and obese cops on the job after 20 to 25 years. It's not even on the Top 10 of most dangerous professions.
Farmer, you forgot to add in overtime. And there is plenty of overtime in Charlottesville and Albemarle County. So much that I couldn't even begin to list it all here.
And $10,000 for the benefits package is way too low of an estimate. The take home car alone is worth a minimum of $5,000 in my opinion, especially if the officer drives into an adjoining county. Combined with the fact if a cop worked at a civilian job w/o benefits and had to pay their own health insurance, life insurance, dental and retirement, it would easily be $1,000 a month minimum for a family.
All I am saying is they make a good living with their salary and benefits. I can't afford a $350,000 to $450,000 home. There's very few cops who will have to worry about how they will pay their electric or heating bills this winter. Can you say the same?
If it's such a safe job, then why have 106 already died this year? Easy to knock it from your nice desk job
Mitt did loose

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Nov 6, 2012
Any righties here need aa hanky?
Down Pat

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Nov 6, 2012
Mitt did loose wrote:
Any righties here need aa hanky?
Where did all the right wing pumpers go?
Like a ghost town here ..... kinda lonely maybe they're all at
Hucks Kool Aid party. LOL !!!!!!!!!
Mitt did loose

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Nov 7, 2012
Down Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did all the right wing pumpers go?
Like a ghost town here ..... kinda lonely maybe they're all at
Hucks Kool Aid party. LOL !!!!!!!!!
Their all out eating crow and cake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crozet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Missing UVA Student 7 hr t as guest 6
Debate: Marijuana - Charlottesville, VA (Aug '10) 13 hr Kitty Sandridge 64
Missing Persons Case Has a Few Twists (Jun '13) Sep 19 dude 4
Volunteers Needed to Help Search for Hannah Graham Sep 19 DAD 2
Augusta Man Faces Felony Sex Charges - NBC29 WV... (Nov '12) Sep 16 Anonymous A 5
Robert A. Cason and his child victim (Oct '09) Sep 16 Anonymous A 7
panhandlers by hospital (Feb '14) Sep 15 working tax payer 9
•••
•••
Crozet Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Crozet Jobs

•••
•••
•••