Students Receiving Free and Reduced Lunch in Albemarle on the Rise

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

School leaders in Albemarle County are noticing a less than encouraging trend. The number of at-risk students receiving free and reduced lunch is on the rise, and that affects how the county allocates its staff.
Comments
1 - 20 of 126 Comments Last updated May 14, 2013
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
TimKaneAndShut

Keswick, VA

#1 May 2, 2013
Cee!
Barney

Richmond, VA

#2 May 2, 2013
28%! Folks, the liberal policies of the last several decades do not work. Come of to the Tea Party and lets take back this great country.
Intelligence

Charlottesville, VA

#3 May 2, 2013
More parents wanting on the government gravy train and not providing for the children so the tax payers have to!!
Frank

Charlottesville, VA

#4 May 2, 2013
Barney wrote:
28%! Folks, the liberal policies of the last several decades do not work. Come of to the Tea Party and lets take back this great country.
Amen
singlemom

Charlottesville, VA

#5 May 2, 2013
Here we go.... the future generations seeing all the hand outs they can get.... yes no child should go hungry but I am sure these are the same parents picking for equal housing rights this past week . They are also the ones that have their iphones and there nails done every week..ect...
I struggled as a young mother but my child and myself never took a hand out I worked my ass off and still do. Maybe it was my pride but I was not going to be "that" person when i could get up every morning and work!!! So sick of these people who dont want to work or come to this country and want everything given to them. Enough!! Time to start working or stop having kids!!!!
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#6 May 2, 2013
let's put this in perspective
.
the national school lunch program cost $11.1 billion in 2011, and fed 32 million kids daily
.
the mortgage interest deduction alone will cost taxpayers $1.4 trillion over the next decade
.
that's more than 100 times the annual amount of the 'have not's' lunch program just for that line item alone the 'haves' 1040 tax returns
.
welfare for the rich outweighs welfare for the poor, no?
Concerned

Winchester, VA

#7 May 2, 2013
Intelligence wrote:
More parents wanting on the government gravy train and not providing for the children so the tax payers have to!!
Oh Please.
Barney

Richmond, VA

#8 May 2, 2013
huck wrote:
let's put this in perspective
.
the national school lunch program cost $11.1 billion in 2011, and fed 32 million kids daily
.
the mortgage interest deduction alone will cost taxpayers $1.4 trillion over the next decade
.
that's more than 100 times the annual amount of the 'have not's' lunch program just for that line item alone the 'haves' 1040 tax returns
.
welfare for the rich outweighs welfare for the poor, no?
Those children that receive free lunch have parents who pay no Federal income tax. Most receive EIC, which is a payment above and beyond any taxes they may pay. Not so for those that get mortgage interest deduction. You sound more intelligent than your liberal spoon fed comment. Join the Tea Party. We want all to be great, not just supported by government failed policies.
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#9 May 2, 2013
Barney, what is failing - and CONSTANTLY so is not the state. It is global CORPORATE capitalism. The state is constantly left with the abhorrent messes of massive corporations using the globe as a chess board.

You tea party folks start by bring massive, centralized, economic power under control. Bring economic control back to "the people" - then I'm ready to take massive political power under control.

By constantly going after the state and ignoring the real boil on the butt of the world you actually work against your own wishes. Too bad the tea partiers don't see it.
Yura Butt

Alexandria, VA

#10 May 2, 2013
singlemom wrote:
Here we go.... the future generations seeing all the hand outs they can get.... yes no child should go hungry but I am sure these are the same parents picking for equal housing rights this past week . They are also the ones that have their iphones and there nails done every week..ect...
I struggled as a young mother but my child and myself never took a hand out I worked my **** off and still do. Maybe it was my pride but I was not going to be "that" person when i could get up every morning and work!!! So sick of these people who dont want to work or come to this country and want everything given to them. Enough!! Time to start working or stop having
kids!!!!
Working hard on minimum wage, paying the rent & electric
must be hard for you! I don't see how you have enough to feed your kid!
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#11 May 2, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
Barney, what is failing - and CONSTANTLY so is not the state. It is global CORPORATE capitalism. The state is constantly left with the abhorrent messes of massive corporations using the globe as a chess board.
You tea party folks start by bring massive, centralized, economic power under control. Bring economic control back to "the people" - then I'm ready to take massive political power under control.
By constantly going after the state and ignoring the real boil on the butt of the world you actually work against your own wishes. Too bad the tea partiers don't see it.
Plenty of disagrees - not a single note about why. That's probably b/c suddenly everyone is asking themselves how an increase in the # of kids on reduced lunch could be because of failed "liberal" state policies. Are we to believe that the purpose of the school lunch program is to get kids off of the school lunch program? Boy. That makes sense. Its a needs based program. If the # of kids on it increases its b/c there are more people who qualify - more people with economic problems.

You can simplify that for yourself and chalk it up to "laziness" and "handout seeking" if you like. But that just shows complete and total lack of knowledge about the real lives of real people who qualify for these programs. It is the explanation of the intellectually lazy and the hopelessly judgmental.

Its pretty simple in the end though - more people qualify for assistance programs = economic problems, not state policy problems.

So now what? You want to say the economy sucks because of "liberal" programs? What economy are you looking at? The economy is doing just fine. Corporate profits are soaring. The stock market is soaring. Real estate has rebounded. Where is all of that trickle-down? Perhaps its time for all of the simpletons to come to grips with the fact that life in global corporate capitalism isn't as simple as you get out of it what you put in.

Now, if we want to talk about going back to something that resembles a real market economy - now then we might be getting somewhere.
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#12 May 2, 2013
Oh, and huck is totally correct, btw. If you really want to talk "public assistance" program, start with corporate welfare before you go picking on a bunch of poor kids.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#13 May 2, 2013
We hand out billions and trillions to corporations with DOD contracts and we fret over this? Small minds worry on small problems.
Barney

Richmond, VA

#14 May 2, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
Oh, and huck is totally correct, btw. If you really want to talk "public assistance" program, start with corporate welfare before you go picking on a bunch of poor kids.
And who pays for those free lunches? The corporations and their employees' taxes you condemn. Be careful, don't bite the hand that feeds you and your socially dysfunctional.
tax payer

Keswick, VA

#15 May 2, 2013
Might be that these kid's parents work for uva!
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#16 May 2, 2013
Barney wrote:
<quoted text>
And who pays for those free lunches? The corporations and their employees' taxes you condemn. Be careful, don't bite the hand that feeds you and your socially dysfunctional.
Barney, your blindness is profound. If you want the tea party to succeed your best bet is to stop trying to represent it.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#17 May 2, 2013
Barney wrote:
<quoted text>
And who pays for those free lunches? The corporations and their employees' taxes you condemn. Be careful, don't bite the hand that feeds you and your socially dysfunctional.
Corporations that pay taxes? where is that?
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#18 May 2, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>Corporations that pay taxes? where is that?
Good point.
internets

Charlottesville, VA

#19 May 2, 2013
Barney wrote:
28%! Folks, the liberal policies of the last several decades do not work. Come of to the Tea Party and lets take back this great country.
i'll come to the Tea Party when it's not another re-branding of the evangelical right. until then, the young conservative generation will continue to wander the desert.
internets

Charlottesville, VA

#20 May 2, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>Corporations that pay taxes? where is that?
my corporation paid a 28% effective tax rate. don't confuse a small number of massive corporations that can base their operations overseas to pay less taxes with the rest of us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crozet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Albemarle seeks input on changing rules for rur... Aug 26 Buffalo jim 3
NAACP Urges People To Bring Cameras Wherever Ar... Aug 26 Rock 6
Another Example Of A No Tollerence Antis, This ... Aug 22 Clyde Frawg 1
Search for missing Crimora woman continues (Sep '08) Aug 20 Heatherstamper 46
Missing Persons Case Has a Few Twists (Jun '13) Aug 20 Heatherstamper 3
Crimora man charged with attempted murder (Jun '13) Aug 20 Ole yeah 4
Fletcher Askew dermatologist, pervert Aug 19 Shantane 4
•••
•••
•••

Crozet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Crozet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Crozet News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Crozet
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••