City Council Agenda: Panhandling, Loitering, Human Rights - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, ...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Charlottesville City Council is considering ways to deal with bad behaviors caused by panhandling and loitering on the downtown mall.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 08

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 18, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

I can think of no better place for these people to just lay around. Mayors answer is to provide more seating ... that will help the cursing and bad behavior.
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

If they end up using taxpayer money to form a human rights commission, I will make a formal complaint about the city council taking my money and using it for frivolous endeavors like a human rights commission.
Rusty

Edinburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Eaglescout1984 wrote:
If they end up using taxpayer money to form a human rights commission, I will make a formal complaint about the city council taking my money and using it for frivolous endeavors like a human rights commission.
which will fall on deaf ears. Just remove your taxes from the city by moving to a place that is more in line with your socioeconomic expectations. I did, and have never felt better.
Huh

Collinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Of course we need more benches. We can't have people standing while they do their drug deals, they might get tired.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

5

3

2

Huh wrote:
Of course we need more benches. We can't have people standing while they do their drug deals, they might get tired.
Place lots of seating...prime location would be in the near vacinity of City Hall.
Rational

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

6

4

2

How does Szakos get elected? I have never heard one good idea from her.

No sane person enjoys panhandlers and vagrants, so remove them. Don't give them more benches to gather around.

A human rights commission is worthless and redundant. It is already against the law to discriminate and their are already legal means of enforcing that law. Don't waste the money on this!
enough is enough

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

7

6

5

Szakos,

Is out of touch with the business community and residents who actually pay to keep up the Downtown Mall. As a life long Dem (YEA that is right!), I would suggest that the City consider making the Mall private. Sell the bricks to the property owners. The city will see an immediate increase in property tax revenue and the property owners will have a means to control the panhandlers that Szakos so badly wants as a permanent fixture on the mall!!!!

People are sick and tired of seeing bums laying around and panhandling on the mall. Their numbers and the new faces are only increasing with this "IF WE BUILD IT THEY WILL COME" attitude.

City Council needs to stop sending mixed messages to the merchants and the homeless. You cannot have it both ways!
The Downtown Mall should not be council's playground for social experiments.

Stop throwing our money down the crapper. Charlottesville does not need a human rights commission, more sister cities, or expensive council excursions (vacations) across the country to learn how to market / grow our economy.

Charlottesville voters:

Is this what you want your hard earned money supporting? What will happen to the city budget if the Downtown Mall dries up? Where will new meals tax revenue come from? I foresee a big increase in our property taxes along the horizon!
Fiscal responsibility

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

These idiots get voted in because the majority of Cville voters are now riding the gravy train. Feel like you're going around in circles? You are. It's the whirlpool around the drain.

If you want this problem fixed, then run for council, let people know you're sick of this, and maybe, just maybe enough of what's left of the conservaive voter base will mobilize and get some common sense back in government.
Amazed

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

This won't be an issue for long. Stonefield will fill up with nice stores, good restaurants, easy access, PARKING and NO PANHANDLERS!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Its obvious that traffic on the downtown mall is comparativly low in comparison to recnt years. The beggar poulation is at an alltime high. Merchants are probably kicking and screaming at city hall to do something, anything. Whats Huja to do? Like he even cares, tooling around town in his iddy biddy Mercedes.
Missy

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Who keeps electing these people to office? I would say I'm amazed, but I'm not. First, they took up the benches because of the beggars/panhandlers/freeloader s/whatever-you-want-to-call-th em. Now, they want to put the benches back. Maybe they put them into storage?? I doubt it. So you can expect to see expenses for new benches, and maybe even a commission to study their size, their height, color, "green" material. Of course, Huja, Szakos and Smith fit right in there with the panhandlers, never having had to meet a payroll, run a business or deal in the real world. Keep it up Charlottesville voters--vote them in again, and watch our worldclass city turn into a cesspool. It makes me furious as a fifth-generation Charlottesvillian.
guy

Glasgow, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 19, 2012
 
I cannot stand all these people on the mall.

They have no idea what true poverty is. They have it grand. They need to stop saying "hi" to me when I walk by them. "Hi" what? "Hi" you want money?

NONE of our homeless mall regulars have any sort of mental condition. They are all of of competent minds. How do I know? Because I see and observe them every day. The only condition they have is complete laziness and I cannot help but think how much of a waste of life they are.

I only wish I could replace their worthless existence with a starving child in Mauritania, etc... Only in America can the homeless eat and live better by doing absolutely nothing than the hardworking 8 year old in Mauritania who will die of starvation by 11.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 19, 2012
 
Missy wrote:
Who keeps electing these people to office? I would say I'm amazed, but I'm not. First, they took up the benches because of the beggars/panhandlers/freeloader s/whatever-you-want-to-call-th em. Now, they want to put the benches back. Maybe they put them into storage?? I doubt it. So you can expect to see expenses for new benches, and maybe even a commission to study their size, their height, color, "green" material. Of course, Huja, Szakos and Smith fit right in there with the panhandlers, never having had to meet a payroll, run a business or deal in the real world. Keep it up Charlottesville voters--vote them in again, and watch our worldclass city turn into a cesspool. It makes me furious as a fifth-generation Charlottesvillian.
If you want something done you need to go where the money is, thats what Huja and the rest take their cues from. They talk liberal but live as right wingers, Huja has admitted taking money from businesses in town abd will tow the line, but businesses in Cville have to get tough if anything is to be done about the "elite". One major problem, they have rights too. Go online and see what Va Beach has done about loitering problems, now thats a tough city.
guy

Glasgow, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 19, 2012
 
And any of you people who give them money on the mall, you should be ASHAMED of yourself.
guy

Glasgow, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 19, 2012
 
Eaglescout1984 wrote:
If they end up using taxpayer money to form a human rights commission, I will make a formal complaint about the city council taking my money and using it for frivolous endeavors like a human rights commission.
And it will promptly be thrown away.
UVA fan

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Wow and I thought the Dtown Mall was doing well since the City announced that they had received excess revenues from the meal, lodgings, and sales taxes. If you rich white people arent coming to the Downtown Mall, then who is?
You are simply trying to dehumanize people, thru fear-mongering. I am sorry for your lack of humanity but will accept that you have the liberty to say what you feel and live how you choose just as much as the people you are disdaining.
Missy

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

5

3

3

UVA fan wrote:
Wow and I thought the Dtown Mall was doing well since the City announced that they had received excess revenues from the meal, lodgings, and sales taxes. If you rich white people arent coming to the Downtown Mall, then who is?
You are simply trying to dehumanize people, thru fear-mongering. I am sorry for your lack of humanity but will accept that you have the liberty to say what you feel and live how you choose just as much as the people you are disdaining.
Lack of humanity, huh? I'm providing for my family. Trying to set aside some for retirement so I won't be panhandling. Paying for two children to attend college. Contributing to the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the Rescue Squad, my church, the United Way, the Food Bank. You name it--they get some of my humanity. I pay taxes, in both the City and the County. I don't waste $5.00 on cigarettes. I don't buy designer purses or adorn myself with tattoos. So, don't tell me I have a "lack of humanity." I don't buy it.
CvilleMechEngr

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
Lack of humanity, huh? I'm providing for my family. Trying to set aside some for retirement so I won't be panhandling. Paying for two children to attend college. Contributing to the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the Rescue Squad, my church, the United Way, the Food Bank. You name it--they get some of my humanity. I pay taxes, in both the City and the County. I don't waste $5.00 on cigarettes. I don't buy designer purses or adorn myself with tattoos. So, don't tell me I have a "lack of humanity." I don't buy it.
Well said. I'm in the same boat. Step one for everyone should be to take care of themselve and their own and not be a burden. The beggars on the mall seem to have already found the $5.00 for their cigarettes. None of them are dressed for job hunting, so I care about them about as much as they care about themselves. They don't need my money; I don't carry any anyhow.
Jack Bauer

King William, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 19, 2012
 
She's back at being a szakos sheet !
guy

Glasgow, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 19, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

CvilleMechEngr wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. I'm in the same boat. Step one for everyone should be to take care of themselve and their own and not be a burden. The beggars on the mall seem to have already found the $5.00 for their cigarettes. None of them are dressed for job hunting, so I care about them about as much as they care about themselves. They don't need my money; I don't carry any anyhow.
I would rather rip my dollar into shreds than allow one of those bums to waste it. Go ahead judge me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Freeze Watch for Albemarle County was issued at April 15 at 9:49PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Crozet Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Crozet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••