Sales tax rise a pain in the cash register

Full story: Baltimore Sun

For Maryland consumers, tomorrow's 20 percent sales tax increase will mean a pinch in the wallet.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of38
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Firefighter Steve

Bethesda, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

All without a true budget to look at really look at. I saw a great sign over the weekend in Catonsville that reads....
"You voted for him, now you will pay for him". Aint that the truth.
What will Spendening Jr. do next?
Firefighter Steve

Bethesda, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

All without a true budget to really look at. I saw a great sign over the weekend in Catonsville that reads....
"You voted for him, now you will pay for him". Aint that the truth.
What will Spendening Jr. do next?
Fed up in Towson

Lutherville Timonium, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

Huzzah for entitlements and riding the backs of the rest of us!
Shart

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

OMG it's a penny, quit crying
kenny

Madison, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

OMG it's 20%!!!!!!

Since: Oct 07

Bethesda, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

Its not just a penny...Its the fact that they back doored this issue without having a budget to cut, look at, or otherwise. They had know idea of what problems they were going to have or not going to have. What else are they not going to tell you that you will have to pay for.

Since: Apr 07

Parkville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

why dont they just take our paychecks every week and make us live on the streets with the homeless. Before you know it we wont be able to buy food for our families or ouselves.
Fed up in Towson

Lutherville Timonium, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

Shart wrote:
OMG it's a penny, quit crying
Ah, good to see another Baltimore City math honors student.
kdogg36

Germantown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

As a gay man, I'm going to be continuously enraged to see that the state is asking more of me while still denying me access to all of its benefits and services.
Jennifer

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

That O Malley is so smug, and hmm where are all those people that voted for him?
Shart

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

It's hasn't been increased in 30 years. Its comparable to most other states, I think some people are making to big of a deal of it.

it's 20% of a frickin nickel, jesus how poor are some of you people?
Tom

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

Steve's point (since he actually has one) is well taken: the structural deficit has been the elephant in the room for years and the General Assembly did nothing about it. The lack of leadership on this issue has been plain for years, with the stance that the long-term fiscal challenges could only be fixed with slot machines.(Not sure, by the way, what state-paid 'entitlements' Fed up is talking about. The real critical rise in state dollars is Medicaid payments for seniors too poor to afford long-term care. Those sneaky, lazy old people!)
Mongo

Lexington Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

Shart wrote:
It's hasn't been increased in 30 years. Its comparable to most other states, I think some people are making to big of a deal of it.
It's a 20% tax increase on consumption, and as such, applies to ALL consumers regardless of income (as opposed to a progressive income tax structure). Maryland already ranked as one of the most tax-burdened states before this move, and now puts O'Malleyland on an even footing with Taxachusetts, but with worse schools, less infrastructure and higher crime rates.
Drugfreepwrlifte r

Abingdon, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

They'll get over it...the tax increase it for the children...and for O'Malley to spend and make him look like a candidate for President.
Fed up in Towson

Lutherville Timonium, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

Tom wrote:
Steve's point (since he actually has one) is well taken: the structural deficit has been the elephant in the room for years and the General Assembly did nothing about it. The lack of leadership on this issue has been plain for years, with the stance that the long-term fiscal challenges could only be fixed with slot machines.(Not sure, by the way, what state-paid 'entitlements' Fed up is talking about. The real critical rise in state dollars is Medicaid payments for seniors too poor to afford long-term care. Those sneaky, lazy old people!)
Let's start with $1,828,640,810 in appropriations for "General Government Administration" for FY '08 -- more than 6% of the total budget. That's right, it costs almost $2 billion a year to keep this single-party crap-pile steaming along. The amount of overhead and sheer waste inherent to the system is staggering -- but then again, they don't care as it's NOT THEIR MONEY.
Thanks for voting Bob out

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

I hope you're happy now...
John Koh

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

5% was perfect. Not too much, not too little.
Stuart

Towson, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

Shart wrote:
In fact the revenue generated from sales tax has increased every year. It goes up as the cost of goods go up. Just for a quick reference the value of a dollar in 1970 was worth $5.19 in today's dollars. Meaning that since 1970 consumer prices risen by 519%. The sales tax will always track the costs of goods and services in this respect.

What hasn't kept track is government spending. There is too much unnecessary fluff, and too few actual budgetary numbers in the governor's doomsday budget. There is also so little separation of the powers between the legislature and the governor's mansion it is borderline criminal. So much for the open government that we were promised.
Tom

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

Fed up in Towson wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's start with $1,828,640,810 in appropriations for "General Government Administration" for FY '08 -- more than 6% of the total budget....
Great. Make your argument about 'bureaucracy' or 'waste/fraud/abuse' or 'bloated government'. Perfectly valid, without resorting to the 'entitlements and riding the backs' code. It's just as transparent as the old 'welfare mothers driving Cadillacs' stuff. Forget the straw man argument and go to the BS spending that we should all be fighting.
citizen jefferson

Hampstead, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2008

it is for the children
screw yo'malley, the mike boys and the democrats in the general assembly for stealing more of my hard earned money.
at least with a prostitute you know what you are buying. not so with politicians
my shopping now goes to delaware businesses.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of38
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Freeze Watch for Anne Arundel County was issued at April 16 at 9:05AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Crownsville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Crownsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE