NM certifies Navajo language textbook

NM certifies Navajo language textbook

There are 22 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Oct 27, 2008, titled NM certifies Navajo language textbook. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

High schools in McKinley and San Juan counties have added a new Navajo language textbook - the first certified by the state - to their curriculum.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
EMVL

Las Vegas, NM

#1 Oct 27, 2008
What a wonderful day! I applaud the authors and the Diné people for their wonderful accomplishment!
EMVL

Las Vegas, NM

#3 Oct 29, 2008
Rice Burner wrote:
I'm Greek. when are all of you gonna give us Greeks all the free health care we want, money, clothes, and other stuff. How about adopting a Greek Language book?
Quit catering to the Indians.
I know, why don't you go back to Greece and demand those things, otherwise, STFU and deal with it!
Alton

United States

#4 Oct 29, 2008
Rice Burner wrote:
I'm Greek. when are all of you gonna give us Greeks all the free health care we want, money, clothes, and other stuff. How about adopting a Greek Language book?
Quit catering to the Indians.
WHat does this have to do with catering? What a selfish comment!
cops kid

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Oct 29, 2008
I would rather have my son/daughter learning Navajo if they wanted to than having it mandatory to learn spanish.
EMVL

Las Vegas, NM

#6 Oct 29, 2008
cops kid wrote:
I would rather have my son/daughter learning Navajo if they wanted to than having it mandatory to learn spanish.
Whoever said it was mandatory to learn Spanish? I think you fear the Spanish speaking people, don't you? What a small person you are!
cops kid

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Oct 29, 2008
EMVL wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoever said it was mandatory to learn Spanish? I think you fear the Spanish speaking people, don't you? What a small person you are!
In the big town of Moriarty NM it is mandatory to take a spanish class. And no, I fear no spanish speaking person. This was stricly my opinion, and I stick to it.
EMVL

Las Vegas, NM

#8 Oct 29, 2008
cops kid wrote:
<quoted text>
In the big town of Moriarty NM it is mandatory to take a spanish class. And no, I fear no spanish speaking person. This was stricly my opinion, and I stick to it.
I think you may be eluding to the Foreign Language requirement of the New Mexico Public School System. Unfortunately for you, a small school like Moriarty can't afford to hire a Spanish teacher, a French teacher, a German teacher, a Diné(not Navajo) teacher, so on and so on ... so thus, Spanish was the ONLY foreign language class offered. Maybe you would prefer not to graduate since you would have been missing your F.L. requirement?
cops kid

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Oct 29, 2008
EMVL wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you may be eluding to the Foreign Language requirement of the New Mexico Public School System. Unfortunately for you, a small school like Moriarty can't afford to hire a Spanish teacher, a French teacher, a German teacher, a Diné(not Navajo) teacher, so on and so on ... so thus, Spanish was the ONLY foreign language class offered. Maybe you would prefer not to graduate since you would have been missing your F.L. requirement?
When I graduated in 1976 it was not required. In the town of Moriarty, we have spanish and French teachers. So what differnce does it make to you what I prefer, I merely stated,(and I stick to it) I would prefer my son and daughter to have the OPTION of speaching Navajo. Seems like you can't handle anyone else having an opinion.
Rice Burner

United States

#10 Oct 30, 2008
All us Greeks wish you Indians would go back to the reservation where you're from. Your children can learn to speak English. Just as well as other kids. That's just another cop out for you whiners.

When my old man came to this country, he made us be Americans.When he got here when he was 10 - alone, broke, and spoke no English. He came to N.M., worked all his life, made lots of money and raised us to be Americans- speaking English and the works.

Many of the ethnic groups worked for what they've got and, wow, learned to read, write, and speak English. Imagine that.

What the Hell's the matter with you Indians always holding your hands out and claiming special privileges?
cops kid

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Oct 30, 2008
Frankly, I see no one holding their hands out for anything here. Whats wrong with the Navajo having a book on their language? And what is it to you anyway, seems like you have your life all mapped out. Your old man made lots of money, you should be set.
EMVL

Las Vegas, NM

#14 Oct 30, 2008
cops kid wrote:
<quoted text>
When I graduated in 1976 it was not required. In the town of Moriarty, we have spanish and French teachers. So what differnce does it make to you what I prefer, I merely stated,(and I stick to it) I would prefer my son and daughter to have the OPTION of speaching Navajo. Seems like you can't handle anyone else having an opinion.
Speaching ... hmmmm, yeah, good option!
EMVL

Las Vegas, NM

#15 Oct 30, 2008
Rice Burner wrote:
All us Greeks wish you Indians would go back to the reservation where you're from. Your children can learn to speak English. Just as well as other kids. That's just another cop out for you whiners.
When my old man came to this country, he made us be Americans.When he got here when he was 10 - alone, broke, and spoke no English. He came to N.M., worked all his life, made lots of money and raised us to be Americans- speaking English and the works.
Many of the ethnic groups worked for what they've got and, wow, learned to read, write, and speak English. Imagine that.
What the Hell's the matter with you Indians always holding your hands out and claiming special privileges?
First off, all "you" geeks, er, I mean greeks immigrated to OUR land, you know, the AMERICAS. You are GUESTS here, not native! Second, you're not even from New Mexico, what business do you have posting on a forum FOR NEW MEXICANS? Third, the development of a Diné language textbook is phenomenal, given the linguistic complexity of the language. Unlike the homo-loving greeks and their archaic language, Diné BELONGS here, is NATIVE to the Americas, and is not a shameless imperialistic language of fudge-packers!

Since: Feb 08

Florence, AL

#16 Oct 30, 2008
Rice Burner wrote:
Please take the time to read a good book on the history of America. You might also want to take the time to read the Constitution & a some of the other legally binding documents regarding the Tribes, like the Treaties and federal & state laws regarding Tribes.

If you want to rant on a topic, please at least be informed about that topic before you go and make yourself look foolish, again.

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#17 Oct 30, 2008
thats pretty darn cool....
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#18 Oct 30, 2008
Maybe the Indigenious peoples that live up in Northern Alberta can use this textbook (sorry, I forgot the name of thier nation). They pretty much speak the same dialect which is pretty amazing.
cops kid

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Oct 30, 2008
EMVL wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaching ... hmmmm, yeah, good option!
Good come back, got ya speachless, huh?
gunzzzzzz

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Oct 30, 2008
EMVL wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, why don't you go back to Greece and demand those things, otherwise,**** and deal with it!
why was this guys original comment taken down?
gunzzzzzz

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Oct 30, 2008
Oyegi Thamu wrote:
<quoted text>
Please take the time to read a good book on the history of America. You might also want to take the time to read the Constitution & a some of the other legally binding documents regarding the Tribes, like the Treaties and federal & state laws regarding Tribes.
If you want to rant on a topic, please at least be informed about that topic before you go and make yourself look foolish, again.
he asked some good questions, just becuase we have outdated treaties doesn't make them correct. we also have freedom of speech whay was his orignal comment taken down, because you don't agree with it, tough cookies tonto!
"Rice Burner wrote:
Quit catering to the Indians. "
Rick Johnson

Moodus, CT

#22 Nov 11, 2008
Where can I buy a copy of this Navajo language textbook?
Wah wah wah

United States

#23 Nov 14, 2008
Oyegi Thamu wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no you again talking about the freakin treaties.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crownpoint Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman pleads to murder for role in drunken fight (May '09) Fri Tim 54
A girl named Anna (Dec '16) Dec '16 Lizzy 1
News Weird New Mexico: Bigfoot Sightings (Oct '11) Sep '16 reese 116
Martial Arts in Thoreau? (Nov '15) Nov '15 laofu 1
Review: Compassion Personal Care (Aug '08) Oct '15 curenado 9
News Thoreau continues to pull together in aftermath... (Jun '10) Oct '15 curenado 4
News Grants police: Man fatally beat friend after fr... (Oct '15) Oct '15 JjB 1

Crownpoint Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crownpoint Mortgages