San Juan County demand for food stamps increases

There are 17 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Dec 5, 2009, titled San Juan County demand for food stamps increases. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

The number of San Juan County residents participating in the state-run food stamp program in October was nearly 63 percent higher than the past year's participation, according to data released this week by the state Human Services Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

Intelligence

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Dec 6, 2009
How did folks 50 years ago keep from starving to death
without food stamps?
tax payer in NM

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Dec 6, 2009
Now this is what we pay taxes for,to help out some one that needs help. But we need to do the job of seeing if there is a need or not. A lot of you are just out looking for a hand out. They would not take a job if they can get the hand out for free.
Henry

United States

#3 Dec 6, 2009
When you have tattoos on your face and neck or your hair looks like you don't know what a comb is, apparently McDonalds won't even hire you. People really need to think about their appearance, jobs are available, not like they were,but they are out there.
Advocate

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Dec 6, 2009
During Farmingtons economic downturn, people in Aztec and Bloomfield saw their neighbor race ahead with development plans, plans that have plenty of hype but few details on how they would be pulled off, these included, among others, a $7.5 million Green Animal Shelter - the equivalent of building 38 -$200,000 homes, a $2 million land purchase to build yet another $25 million bridge across the Animas River - a Bridge to Nowhere, a $50+ million infrastructure expenditure to improve county property west of the City limits - the La Plata Ranch Project.
Meanwhile, the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in the Farmington metropolitan area, currently a 21-year high, was 9.6 percent in October 2009, up from 8.9 percent in September; 5700 workers are now unemployed, loosing 300+ jobs per month and may be set for further increases.
Now we see Farmington City Hall wanting to put yet more regulations on the new Natural Gas Industry.
Bill Standley, Rob Mayes and Farmington City Hall has taken the local economy "from bad to worse with their failed economic agenda and big government plans" and now want the citizens to subsidize the La Plata Ranch project - as two Councilors call this agenda process, one SKIRTING THE LAW, the other RAILROADING.
"The way to stimulate this economy and help struggling families is to let people keep more of their hard-earned money, not taking more from their wallets."
Tell Farmington City Hall, ENOUGH WITH THEIR ABSURDITIES !
ironic

Littleton, CO

#5 Dec 6, 2009
It's ironic that the one gal in the photo is wearing a "Skin" hat (fairly expensive namebrand) yet is filling out an application asking for somebody else to buy her food. Sure, let me pay for your groceries (which will undoubtedly include shrimp, lobster, steak, etc..) so you can continue to purchase ridiculously expensive name brand clothes. Meanwhile, I'll keep shopping at the second-hand stores and finding a way to make ends meet somehow.

“The voices! The voices!”

Since: Jun 09

The outbacks of NM

#6 Dec 6, 2009
ironic wrote:
It's ironic that the one gal in the photo is wearing a "Skin" hat (fairly expensive namebrand) yet is filling out an application asking for somebody else to buy her food. Sure, let me pay for your groceries (which will undoubtedly include shrimp, lobster, steak, etc..) so you can continue to purchase ridiculously expensive name brand clothes. Meanwhile, I'll keep shopping at the second-hand stores and finding a way to make ends meet somehow.
How do you know she doesn't shop at the second-hand stores. Lobster, steak, shrimp... when I needed food stamps I never ate those. Food stamps come out once a month, and they need to last.
Been there Done that

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Dec 6, 2009
Oh yeah there are a plenty of people that take advantage of the whole process. Just gotta answer the right way...I used to get food stamps (6 months) at 497.00 a month. But I got a new caseworker that was a total bi%ch. She basically cut my money down and I was fine was that (but she was a "smart" employee). But yeah some that really need DO need this but speaking only from experience...And yes I now have a job...Wal-mart is always looking for people...
Grimreaper

Phoenix, AZ

#8 Dec 6, 2009
I try to get food stamp man they just laugh at me.There are those that pay/payed for it.And those that are allowed to use it.I think it should be somewhat based on what youve payed in and the fact that you did pay into it.
jlu

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Dec 6, 2009
Advocate wrote:
Tell Farmington City Hall, ENOUGH WITH THEIR ABSURDITIES !
Why don't you tell City Hall?
Ray

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Dec 6, 2009
I thank God for food stamps. It gave us help back in the 80' when times were bad. As a little kid, it motivated me never to be dependent of the government again. And to this day I am well off on finances but I am just thankful for the billionaires whose wealth was tax to pay for my meal.
ironic

Denver, CO

#11 Dec 7, 2009
Ray, you sound like the person food stamps are meant to help. I'm glad you were able to get back on your feet. Unfortunately, you are the exception to the rule. More and more people have the "gimme gimme gimme" attitude. Why work when I can get it for free?
C Lee Nickel

Cedar Crest, NM

#12 Dec 7, 2009
Intelligence wrote:
How did folks 50 years ago keep from starving to death
without food stamps?
In 1959, our economy was booming, high paying jobs were plentiful. There was manufacturing, mining, timber, steel, which all offered high paying jobs which folks without a college education could get. Housing, automobiles, food, basic utilities, etc. all cost less in real dollars back then. A new home loan was 15 to 20 years at the most. A new car loan was 2 years. Less money given to banks as interest meant more money in people's pockets. Paying off stuff meant we weren't near the slaves to debt and the banks as we are today.

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1959.html

Not to mention the fact that our priorities were different. A house, car, radio, perhaps a TV, some nice furniture. Those were what was necessary. Two or more TV's in a home was unheard of. No cable or satellite TV to spend money on.

The vast amount of mostly imported consumer goods enticing us to spend our money simply did not exist back then. No computers, no video games, no DVD's. No Wal-Mart full of mostly Chinese "break it and throw it away" garbage jumping off the shelves hollering "Buy me! Buy me!".

I can only imagine the average American from 1959 walking into a modern home and saying: "What's up with all the clutter?"
Surprise Surprise

Dallas, TX

#13 Dec 7, 2009
ironic wrote:
Never been on hard times? So she bought clothing during "flush" times. Now the job is gone, the money is tight and help is needed. I didnt have the good fortune, as you apparently did, to see her grocery shopping list so I dont know that shrimp and lobster are there. Wow you are certainly coming across as Mr. Scrooge here.
Intelligence

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Dec 7, 2009
What makes me fighting mad, is when I notice someone
roll their cart up to be checked out, with a case
of beer on the bottom rack, they pay cash for the
beer and food with food stamps. No Way is this fair
for the hard working taxpayer.

Since: Nov 09

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Dec 7, 2009
ironic wrote:
Although I agree with your point that those needing assistance should also do what they can to cut costs, your logic behind it doesn't necessarily fit. Since these women were filling out applications, that tells me they don't have foodstamps yet. Maybe this person bought the hat when she wasn't in need of assistance and probably didn't forsee her financial problems coming, as many don't. Also, regardless of what she purchases, foodstamps is based on household income. So whether she spends her money on name brand or second hand stuff, the amount she would receive is the same.
A true story

Window Rock, AZ

#16 Dec 8, 2009
I worked in the oilfield awhile back for a service company. The wages were a joke and the hours were long, some of the employees applied for and got approved for food stamps. The company got wind of this and everyone got a raise.Thank goodness I work for a company now that has pretty good wages.Good luck to all of you that NEED food stamps and those of you that don't really need it and get it, give someone else a chance.
WEML

Farmington, NM

#17 Dec 8, 2009
I don't have a problem with people getting food stamps if they need them. I do think they should be required to do a drug test before they can receive gov't assistance of any kind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crownpoint Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Family: Missing woman trying to hitchhike to Th... Dec '14 Josie Spencer Coc... 1
News Woman pleads to murder for role in drunken fight (May '09) Aug '14 Travis 50
Review: Thoreu Navajo Outreach (Jun '14) Jun '14 benjamin Edward g... 1
News State legislators look to increase security at ... (Jan '14) Jan '14 CornDogz 1
News County exec draws support in fraud case (Dec '13) Dec '13 Buela 1
Geor ge Zimme rman back on trial (Sep '13) Sep '13 Delma Lomascolo 1
News Ready, aim, fire (Jun '11) Mar '13 Refried Bean Eater 5
More from around the web

Crownpoint People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]