Twelve candidates vie for top Navajo ...

Twelve candidates vie for top Navajo position

There are 125 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jul 25, 2010, titled Twelve candidates vie for top Navajo position. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Ten men and two women are seeking election to the top office on the Navajo Nation during a landmark vote that will drastically cut the legislative branch and introduce additional government reform to the largest American Indian reservation in the country.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Ahab

Fort Defiance, AZ

#1 Jul 26, 2010
If Lovejoy is elected, she will hire and rehire some of the corrupted 88-council delegates and staff, including Lawrence Morgan, his worthless attorneys and unscrupulous friends who misappropriated tribal funds for the past several years. Check her out.. she has as her Campaign Manager Lavar Burton, Speaker Morgan's spokesman.
ThunderChief

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jul 26, 2010
My Hats off to all the Candidates who are willing to put themselves on the line to take the public criticism. The Navajo Nation needs true leadership during these trying times. Review the Candidates education, past work experience and most notable their ability to represent the Nation at the Federal and State level.

Out of the twelve who are seeking office, there will be one who serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the Navajo Nation. What are the authorities designated for the Navajo Nation CEO besides the line item veto. Yes, which candidate will hire Division Directors and staff who can take their political promises to fruition. Who are they currently surrounding themselves with now b/c they will be hired as staff in that administration.
Shiprock Voter

United States

#3 Jul 26, 2010
Donald Benally forget it, what has he done for shiprock community. He did not establish city market or chapter house, he did not pay from his pocket, it was the local people's voice and their vote. We're not crazy con-man don't take credit.
Oookay

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jul 26, 2010
I don't know who the heck to vote for. For sure I don't want anyone who has worked for the tribe because they are still INSIDERS. Window Rock needs to be cleaned of crooked people.
Good Grief

Farmington, NM

#5 Jul 26, 2010
You got that right. Lovejoy doesn't have the backbone to make any changes other than trying to become the first woman president. She will repeat the exact government we have now. She is too snobbish to look down. Don't elect another person who will repeat the same government style we have now.
Coolio

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jul 26, 2010
D Harrison Tsosie is absolutely, positively, the most qualified candidate. The Tribe needs leadership. This man has the educational background and integrity to lead the Navajo Nation into a new era.
naschitti chick

United States

#7 Jul 26, 2010
My personal opinion, in my recollection of past Navajo Nation Presidential elections (never really experienced Chairman elections), but this is such an awesome, diverse group. They all should be commended for their efforts. Great minds wish such diversity and passion for their causes who could all have a piece in making the Navajo Nation greater. Kudos to each of you and may God bless each of you and your families!
Being Learned

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Jul 26, 2010
Understand NM State Senator Linda M. Lovejoy, wants
to change the Navajo Nation to copy NM Governor Bill
Richardson Administration, Please the Navajo people
deserve much better, then another Bill Richardson
Administration.
lets ask

Fruitland, NM

#9 Jul 26, 2010
Sharon Clahchischilliage was asked about a navajo constitution and she said it might be premature at this time. D.Harrison Tsosie is pushing for a constitution. I wonder why the navajos voted against the Indian Reorganization Act in 1934, why is our reservation different than others?
native first

Ignacio, CO

#10 Jul 26, 2010
i agree with you Coolio D Tsosie is the most qualified after reading the other candidates comments i see a teacher who well make the nation a miror of the obama administration and the rest dont have any real agendas on how to get the nation into the 21st century there just re-playing what has been said from past elections...
relatioship

Fruitland, NM

#11 Jul 26, 2010
Being Learned wrote:
Understand NM State Senator Linda M. Lovejoy, wants
to change the Navajo Nation to copy NM Governor Bill
Richardson Administration, Please the Navajo people
deserve much better, then another Bill Richardson
Administration.
My observation has always been that the new mexico side of the navajo nation got better services from the state. Case in point, fire stations,senior & veteran centers,etc. We read often of how they don't spend all of the money and it has to be taken back.
DONOTVOTE4LyndaL ovejoy

United States

#12 Jul 26, 2010
1. Her last name is misleading to begin with.
2. You already know she is lying because she is using photos taken 15-20 years ago on her campaign website and billboards.
3. She has the missed over 50% of all votes and meetings as a member of the NM State Legislature.
4. Failed to get any bills signed by the Governor of NM as either a state senator or state representative. The only "bill" she ever got passed was a House Joint Memorial to move buffalo from Ft. Wingate to another location.
5. Voted for the economy damaging proposals in the State of NM that has cost thousands of jobs and caused the governemnt to be saddled with a $650 million budget deficit.
6. She hates people who are of the GLBT and she considers them "special" (retarded).
7. she's a closet Republican and has aligned herself with the Republicans in the state legislature.
8. Need I go on?

Do not vote for any council delegate (Rex Lee Jim) who has failed to take any votes on tough issues before the council. Rex Lee Jim voted along with other Council delegates to not respect the voices of the people in reducing the size of the council. Rex Lee Jim also voted to give himself gold rings among other things.

Sharon Clahchischilliage seems like a very good candidate and she seems to have the education and expereince, but she's a REPUBLICAN!!! I can't vote for a person who supports the same failed (Bush/Cheney) policies that drove our nation into the ground and wrecked our economy. I can't vote for a person who was also kissing John McCain's and Sarah Palin's behind.(do a search on YouTube) She also can't speak Navajo to save her life.
DONOTVOTE4LyndaL ovejoy

United States

#13 Jul 26, 2010
lets ask wrote:
Sharon Clahchischilliage was asked about a navajo constitution and she said it might be premature at this time. D.Harrison Tsosie is pushing for a constitution. I wonder why the navajos voted against the Indian Reorganization Act in 1934, why is our reservation different than others?
Navajo people voted against the constitution in 1934 because of the drastic livestock reductions forced upon them by John Collier. the Constitution concept was pushed by John Collier and it failed as a result. They also voted against a constitution back then because it was forced upon them.
Degree degree degree

Salt Lake City, UT

#15 Jul 26, 2010
Pick the one that has a degree, lived off the reservation, did something concrete to establish something that now exists and is profitable. Vote for D Harrison Tsosie. Sorry, but it's not in Navajos' best interest to have a woman prez. Maybe VP.
bottom ash

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jul 26, 2010
The REZ will still be the same. New President or not. There were still be high unemployment. They all just get paid and don't care about anybody else. Yeah, you see them in the public, they just ignore you. I was at the High School National Rodeo Finals in Farmington. I saw the Navajo Nation Vice President in a cream Cadallic Escalede, brand new. Next time I saw him riding a brand new Harley. I felt bad, thinking about all those old Navajos on the REZ starving. On the first part of the month, I see alot of old Navajos trying to buy food, with alot of grand kids hanging on to them at WALMART in Farmington. SAD.
Harry

Tuba City, AZ

#17 Jul 26, 2010
maybe voting for a female politican for Navajo Nation president will solve or problems??? I don't know.. but I'm giving it a serious thought..For the past SEVEN years we the people of Shiprock community..asked Runner up for Navajo Nation President Joe Shirley for a DOG pound in Shiprock.. He promised to put IT in his agenda..To this day Nothing..there's just MORE stray dogs ..ruling Shiprock..I wish politicans would keep their PROMISE...
Willy

United States

#18 Jul 26, 2010
Just shoot the dang dogs!! Who's gonna adopted a rez dog anyhow!! Politicians male or female will always be crooked, they are in it for themselves and their families!! They don't care what happens on the rez if they did there would be changes many many many moons ago!!! It's ridonkulous!!!
DC Brat

Louisville, KY

#19 Jul 26, 2010
I like to see the Title II dismantled and fully engage in re-doing the system of NN government. The 3-branches of govt does not work for Navajos. Yes, it could work barely for a population of 60 million people, and predominately white/anglo/caucasians classification. BUT NO, not for the Navajo people. Presidential candidates want the same old system and improving it is impossible. The Peter MacDonald system almost worked, but you see the consequences of that power. Let us see a platform that will instruct us how they will do govt reform. That person with unique idea will be the one to vote for.
t-rex

Fruitland, NM

#20 Jul 26, 2010
Degree degree degree wrote:
Pick the one that has a degree, lived off the reservation, did something concrete to establish something that now exists and is profitable. Vote for D Harrison Tsosie. Sorry, but it's not in Navajos' best interest to have a woman prez. Maybe VP.
Rex Lee Jim has a degree from Princeton Univirsity, born and raised on the rez and has traveled the world. When he talks people listen.
Yawn

United States

#21 Jul 26, 2010
Vote Quimby!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crownpoint Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A girl named Anna Dec '16 Lizzy 1
News Woman pleads to murder for role in drunken fight (May '09) Sep '16 RezWarrior 52
News Weird New Mexico: Bigfoot Sightings (Oct '11) Sep '16 reese 116
Martial Arts in Thoreau? (Nov '15) Nov '15 laofu 1
Review: Compassion Personal Care (Aug '08) Oct '15 curenado 9
News Thoreau continues to pull together in aftermath... (Jun '10) Oct '15 curenado 4
News Grants police: Man fatally beat friend after fr... (Oct '15) Oct '15 JjB 1

Crownpoint Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crownpoint Mortgages