Martinez vetoes cigarette tax bill

Martinez vetoes cigarette tax bill

There are 42 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Apr 6, 2011, titled Martinez vetoes cigarette tax bill. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Gov. Susana Martinez on Tuesday vetoed a bill that would have taxed cigarette manufacturers that in certain cases receive exemptions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
justme

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Apr 6, 2011
I believe it was a good decision
watchdog1

United States

#3 Apr 6, 2011
I don't smoke however The Gov. is keeping her word on taxes and that is a bit of fresh air in politics. I commend her in that she kept her word even on such a popular law. I hope she continues this trend.
Paul

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Apr 6, 2011
Hurray for Gov.Martinez.I use to go to a restraunt and they had smoking and non-smoking.But if the non-smoking area was filled up those people that don't smoke would use the smoking area.Anytime these non-smokers want more taxes they try to put it on the back of the smoker.
Christina

Cedar Crest, NM

#5 Apr 6, 2011
For the Gov. to complain that the Gov. house smelled of smoke. You would thing that she was against smoking! Raise the taxes on beer and cigarettes ONLY!

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Apr 6, 2011
No surprise that Tejan Susana puts the interests of the merchants of death above the interests of the citizens of New Mexico.

Let those "small cigarette manufacturers," continue selling death and illness.

I'd like to see all manufactured cigarettes outlawed. Let the nicotine juckies buy tobacco and makings.
Been here Seen that

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Apr 6, 2011
I wonder: Do these politicians realize that they are required to provide just compensation for property taken by these taxes to the individuals/corporations whom they tax? It is a constitutional requirement.

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Apr 6, 2011
Been here Seen that wrote:
I wonder: Do these politicians realize that they are required to provide just compensation for property taken by these taxes to the individuals/corporations whom they tax? It is a constitutional requirement.
What an insane, STUPID, illogical, moronic and crazed comment. As well as being factually WRONG!
Death

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Apr 6, 2011
Yeah! Protect the cancer merchants! Way to go, Susana!
JjJ

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Apr 6, 2011
I think the cigarette tax has just about tapped itself out revenue wise. Few smokers, anymore.

Alcohol tax will always be a winner to generate public money and it chemically equally as dangerous to health and safety.

A lot of states are legalizing pot, taxing it and making it profitable. Probably, the best long term option to balance the state budget whether or not you drink or smoke pot/tobacco.
give me some

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Apr 6, 2011
smoking hot sussex strikes again,hahahaha!
David Medina

United States

#12 Apr 6, 2011
You need to move your tin foil hat a little bit more to the right, Goober. Then you can pick up all the signals from the Confused and Dazed channel.

If you could weave together one more erroneous fact, you would qualify for pick-up to the N.M. Behavioral Health Institute in Las Vegas.

What a complete moron you are.
Juanita Mendoza

United States

#13 Apr 6, 2011
JjJ wrote:
I think the cigarette tax has just about tapped itself out revenue wise. Few smokers, anymore.
Alcohol tax will always be a winner to generate public money and it chemically equally as dangerous to health and safety.
A lot of states are legalizing pot, taxing it and making it profitable. Probably, the best long term option to balance the state budget whether or not you drink or smoke pot/tobacco.
You are beyond medical assistance. And totally clueless about any of the topics you tried to address.
Rachell Ruiz

Montréal, Canada

#14 Apr 6, 2011
Nice to see Gov. Martinez thumb her nose at $7.5 million in additional tax revenue for New Mexico.

Any connection between this and the tobacco lobby's contributions to her through some shell organizations?

Besides, it's much more important for Gov. Martinez to keep her Tea Bagger and GOP pledge to her Texas benefactors and controllers. Who cares about helping New Mexico's population with additional revenue and curtailing a deadly habit.

Interestingly, Gov. Martinez complained about the Governor's Mansion smelling of smoke when she moved in.

When you visit now, the people's house just has the deep fat frier smell and the odor of the Tejana's favorite foods. But look at all that symbolic money Gov. Martinez saved taxpayers by firing a health-oriented professional chef.
Sherrill

Santa Fe, NM

#15 Apr 6, 2011
Wrong move, Ms. Governor...why shouldn't cigarette manufacturers be taxed as much as possible? Perhaps it would decrease people's choice to smoke and raise our insurance rates? BAD MOVE.
give me some

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Apr 6, 2011
David Medina wrote:
You need to move your tin foil hat a little bit more to the right, Goober. Then you can pick up all the signals from the Confused and Dazed channel.
If you could weave together one more erroneous fact, you would qualify for pick-up to the N.M. Behavioral Health Institute in Las Vegas.
What a complete moron you are.
already been there, they had to let me go ; I was too mellow. Its the Dazed and Confused channel and the report says cant believe this sussex actually gov.
ecigarette

Glendale, AZ

#17 Apr 6, 2011
Death wrote:
Yeah! Protect the cancer merchants! Way to go, Susana!
A friend of mine bought the e-cigarette in December for $120, with the monthly refills costing around 30 per month. After five months they no longer have any urge to light up.

Over the hill

Farmington, NM

#18 Apr 6, 2011
Taxing cigarettes isn't the way to go. One of the ideas behind it is to encourage people to quit. There's a huge campaign to encourage people to quit as well.

What happens if they do all quit? That would provide a bit of a hole in the assumed revenues.

Tax alcohol.

“Freedom is never free”

Since: Jan 09

El Paso, Texas

#19 Apr 6, 2011
The best part of this article:

"I intend to keep that promise..."

She intends. Get it? In other words she didn't say "I will" keep my promise, she said she "intends" which means she'll make some excuse later down the line and say a tax is necessary to make up for some shortfall or something.

You expect her to keep her word. She's an attorney for crying out loud. Made her living on swaying people's opinions and distorting the truth. So her "intent" is comical at best.
ecigarette

Glendale, AZ

#20 Apr 6, 2011
Over the hill wrote:
Taxing cigarettes isn't the way to go. One of the ideas behind it is to encourage people to quit. There's a huge campaign to encourage people to quit as well.
What happens if they do all quit? That would provide a bit of a hole in the assumed revenues.
Tax alcohol.
I don't think revenues would be affected too bad, people would probably just spend the extra bling on something else more important.
Quark

United States

#21 Apr 6, 2011
WOW! Martinez is really on a roll! She's tackling the issues unlike anyone before her. Of course the issues are all nonsensical and moot, but the point is she's taken big steps to ensure that our state doesn't go without an official necklace!

Oh, and the bit about trying hard to keep her promise about NOT raising taxes is a load of BS - she's just doing what the GOP does best; protect corporate profits (and in this case at the expense of the health of New Mexicans).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crownpoint Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A girl named Anna Dec '16 Lizzy 1
News Woman pleads to murder for role in drunken fight (May '09) Sep '16 RezWarrior 52
News Weird New Mexico: Bigfoot Sightings (Oct '11) Sep '16 reese 116
Martial Arts in Thoreau? (Nov '15) Nov '15 laofu 1
Review: Compassion Personal Care (Aug '08) Oct '15 curenado 9
News Thoreau continues to pull together in aftermath... (Jun '10) Oct '15 curenado 4
News Grants police: Man fatally beat friend after fr... (Oct '15) Oct '15 JjB 1

Crownpoint Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crownpoint Mortgages