SWF

Englewood, CO

#1 Jan 29, 2013
Both of my threads from this morning re: this matter have been deleted, even though I am not violating any terms of service.

Ive also posted 2 comments to the yadda yadda yadda discussion in the last few days, and both have mysteriously disappeared.

I keep posting to burned out, or anyone really who might be an interested party, that if he/she has the money, you can take a certain person to court and challenge those ridiculous land contracts that gets drawn up.

I also said that there's probably a few people in the same boat and may be they should put their heads together and pool resources.

But talk to a hungry lawyer in Cookeville or Knoxville, or somewhere close by, just not the ones in Cumberland County.

Anybody gutsy enough to do that, well you might be pleasantly surprised to see the loop holes in those papers suddenly come to life and work to your advantage.

Let's see if this message gets to stay up!

I'm sure Mr. H* is loved by his family and friends but I have also heard some complaints, as well.

Someone is working overtime to knock these messages right off as soon as they get put up.

I'm not even being derogatory in the least, merely helpful.

So all that remains in that original thread is the original posters complaint, then Mr. H* family and friends glowing praise.

Fishy fishy, and do you know why? They know there's truth to the stuff I'm saying.

:8)

yep

I'm curious to see how long it takes them to find this one.

When this disappears, I'll just post another.
SWF

Englewood, CO

#2 Jan 29, 2013
Englewood, CO? lol Ok....
Watching You

Crossville, TN

#3 Jan 29, 2013
I sure hate to see people caught up by those land contracts. They are the worst thing to happen because you think you are buying a house but you may not be really.

You would be much better off to fix your credit and really buy a house with a mortgage.
Florydyan

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#4 Jan 29, 2013
Watching You wrote:
I sure hate to see people caught up by those land contracts. They are the worst thing to happen because you think you are buying a house but you may not be really.
You would be much better off to fix your credit and really buy a house with a mortgage.
Well isn't that kind of the point?
You're renting to buy in the hopes that you get your credit straightened out before the payoff date arrives.

Being in a rent to own situation is actually a good thing for building your credit in order to get that mortgage loan later, but of course you can lose all your equity if you fall behind, but still its no worse than having paid rent.
SWF

Davenport, IA

#6 Jan 30, 2013
Land contract and rent to own are actually two different contracts, but you're correct in the sense that most people who get into those don't have the credit for a regular mortgage.

Regarding your equity comment, that's exactly what I've been trying to post about. There's a fair chance actually of getting some equity back when a land contract is challenged in court.

Before anyone ever ever signs any paperwork with Mr. H* or anyone offering a deal like that, contact an abstractor or title company and have the title searched!!!! It's very affordable. Also pay to have a home inspection done, that will tell you where potential problems are and the cost to fix them. All contracts are negotiable!! If you arm yourself with a minimum of a title search and a home inspection, you will be WAY ahead of those who don't, and much less likely to default.

Pest inspections wouldn't hurt, either, but hopefully people get the idea,
Mike

Crossville, TN

#7 Jan 30, 2013
SWF you are only partly right!!!! To start with the Land contract Mr H. Uses is drawn up by an attorney. Hes not stupid. Futher more a home inspection will help in finding things wrong with the property but they DO NOT say what it cost to fix certain items. A property can also be sold with a lean against it . In the land contract there is a area that is shown. Yes title insurance is important. Most people that get a land contract can not afford a large down payment and most have bad credit and it takes a while for that to get fixed even if you pay off their debt it will still take 6 to 8 months maybe even longer. You sound like someone that didnt pay their pzyments and your property got taken away. Mostly everything mr H sells are trailers. At this time he dont own much he sold it all to his son so stop being a big lazy baby and pay your bills and you want have these problems. take mr H to court Im sure he would gladly go and prove you burned your own place,
SWF

Davenport, IA

#8 Jan 30, 2013
Mike wrote:
SWF you are only partly right!!!! To start with the Land contract Mr H. Uses is drawn up by an attorney. Hes not stupid. Futher more a home inspection will help in finding things wrong with the property but they DO NOT say what it cost to fix certain items. A property can also be sold with a lean against it . In the land contract there is a area that is shown. Yes title insurance is important. Most people that get a land contract can not afford a large down payment and most have bad credit and it takes a while for that to get fixed even if you pay off their debt it will still take 6 to 8 months maybe even longer. You sound like someone that didnt pay their pzyments and your property got taken away. Mostly everything mr H sells are trailers. At this time he dont own much he sold it all to his son so stop being a big lazy baby and pay your bills and you want have these problems. take mr H to court Im sure he would gladly go and prove you burned your own place,
Mike. Not sure who you think I am, but if you think I lived in one of those trailers, much less burned one down, you are beyond ignorant.

Im responding to the forums that were started by someone named "burned out", which seems to have been an old post resurrected recently by some of your buddies, who are as equally defensive and obnoxious as you.

However, you guys kept reporting my responses and getting them deleted.

So I started my own thread, haha.

Please point out to me where I have ever called Mr. H "stupid". You cannot, because I didn't. Did not even insinuate it.

There is no contract in this world, land or otherwise, that's hole-proof. It doesn't exist.

Having worked for lawyers for many years, some of which have been real estate, I do know more about these issues than what you give me credit.

Getting a home inspection will show you where the problems are, and from there, it's not difficult to obtain an estimate for repair.

Also, I am aware that many of the properties he sold in a certain subdivision do, in fact, have liens on them. Sure, he can sell them to clueless people who don't understand the ramifications of borrowing against it in the future once it's in their name; but it's not said, "buyer beware" for nothing

Tell me why you have a problem with me encouraging those less fortunate (or ignorant about the process) to protect themselves? I would really, really like to know.

As far as title insurance, it's impossible to obtain until after the contract has been fulfilled and the deed has been put in the new owners name.

The best one can hope for in a land contract is an abstract of title or a title exam.

I have no personal interest in suing him, but I've been in this town long enough to hear there's a few people who wished they'd brought suit or counter-sued him.

This information i provide is not only for them, but for anyone who has an opportunity to be involved in a land contract.
Mike

Crossville, TN

#9 Jan 30, 2013
WOW SWF to start with I didnt say you did say he was stupid and also a title exam will show if there is a lean on the property the buyer just dont get insurance. Like I said before if there is a lean on the property it has to be disclosed in the land contract or he could at that point have a problem. Its plain english and easy to read so they shouldnt have a problem reading it and knowing aheard of time what the terms and conditions are. I am a stright up person and feel everyone should be treated honest and if you know what you are talking about just what "certain" subdivision are you referring about!
Starry

Crossville, TN

#10 Jan 30, 2013
Mike, I do have to say you seem terribly defensive
Mike

Crossville, TN

#11 Jan 30, 2013
Honestly I do not like some one being run down and you say you dont even know mr H that you had just heard stuff. And that gives you a right to assume that Mr H does wrong things and that your stuff is deleated. Not only that you try to make it sound like the attorneys here in crossville are not honest by saying dont get an attorney here in Crossville, I have you know there are some very good attorneys here in crossville. You never did say What subdivision you were referring to either.
No I am not defensive I believe thats the other way around. Why would you want to keep saying things that you dont know is true or not. Expecially if you dont even know Mr. H
Starry

Crossville, TN

#12 Jan 31, 2013
I don't even know the party (Mr. H) youa re talking about and I am completely taken aback by you, Mike.

In no way at all was SWF being judgemental (do you know what that means) of ANY local attorney. The suggestion of an out of town attorney is for OBJECTIVITY and FAIRNESS (do you know what FAIR means??)

FACT - NO CONTRACT IS AIR TIGHT. ITS NOT EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!

It is clear you are too close to the people and the situation to be objective. The more you "defend" the worse you make him and yourself sound.
SWF

Englewood, CO

#13 Jan 31, 2013
Mike wrote:
Honestly I do not like some one being run down and you say you dont even know mr H that you had just heard stuff. And that gives you a right to assume that Mr H does wrong things and that your stuff is deleated. Not only that you try to make it sound like the attorneys here in crossville are not honest by saying dont get an attorney here in Crossville, I have you know there are some very good attorneys here in crossville. You never did say What subdivision you were referring to either.
No I am not defensive I believe thats the other way around. Why would you want to keep saying things that you dont know is true or not. Expecially if you dont even know Mr. H
Mike, your proclivity to assume and accuse are annoying.

In no way am I trying to "run down" Mr. H. I have actually met him. Several times; relatively pleasant man.

As for what I've heard about him regarding the land contracts, I have not been on here discussing the details of what I have heard. But where's there's smoke, there's usually fire.

This rant is really much LESS about Mr. H, and much MORE about land contracts in general.

EXHORBITANT amounts of money is being made off the ignorant and/or less fortunate people, via land contracts. But, that's the beauty of capitalism.

[By the way, before you or anyone else jump on my usage of the word "ignorant", I'll call myself ignorant where knitting is concerned. I'm ignorant about the mechanics of a car. I'm actually "ignorant" about a number of things. But the transfer of property is not one of them :^)]

I'm trying to educate people thinking about entering into one of these contracts. THAT'S the beauty of free speech.

A land contract is not inherently bad, or wrong, but know what you're getting into. Negotiate the interest rate; negotiate the down payment; negotiate the purchase price; negotiate the closing date so you have time to get the property searched and get a home inspection or whatever done. If there are liens on a property, is it permanent, or will it be removed after closing? How much money will it take to remove said lien, and who's paying?

Finally, Crossville is home to a couple of what I'd describe as brilliant attorneys. Most are average, some are for show. Starry is absoultely correct as to why I was advising to seek counsel outside of Cumberland County in the event they wanted to file suit.

I'm glad this thread hasn't been removed yet; I'm losing steam. I was really irritated that my other posts were posting, then being deleted. Very frustrating.
SWF

Englewood, CO

#14 Jan 31, 2013
Starry wrote:
I don't even know the party (Mr. H) youa re talking about and I am completely taken aback by you, Mike.
In no way at all was SWF being judgemental (do you know what that means) of ANY local attorney. The suggestion of an out of town attorney is for OBJECTIVITY and FAIRNESS (do you know what FAIR means??)
FACT - NO CONTRACT IS AIR TIGHT. ITS NOT EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!
It is clear you are too close to the people and the situation to be objective. The more you "defend" the worse you make him and yourself sound.
Thank you for the explanation there, Starry.
SWF

Englewood, CO

#15 Jan 31, 2013
Mike wrote:
WOW SWF to start with I didnt say you did say he was stupid and also a title exam will show if there is a lean on the property the buyer just dont get insurance. Like I said before if there is a lean on the property it has to be disclosed in the land contract or he could at that point have a problem. Its plain english and easy to read so they shouldnt have a problem reading it and knowing aheard of time what the terms and conditions are. I am a stright up person and feel everyone should be treated honest and if you know what you are talking about just what "certain" subdivision are you referring about!
If you think a land contract is written in "plain english", you must be a realtor.

The average person wouldn't understand half the terms used in a contract.
Mike

Crossville, TN

#16 Jan 31, 2013
Yes I know Mr. H and have for years. I do not assume anything. SWF Im glad you feel you know the attorneys here in Crossville. But unlike you or starry i feel the attorneys here if agreed to take a case would do their job and be very FAIR. I dont feel that a person has to go out of town to get a g
ood and FAIR attorney.
Starry you and SWF both have an opinion and its appears you are one of the same person. But whatever . I also feel the public should be informed about the dangers of land contracts so why dont you have a seminor about it so all "US" IGNORANT people can be informed. It wouldnt be good if they hired one of the attorneys that YOU feel are "for show" or "an average" attorney. I sure you could inform them much better. I am done with this post not wasting any more time.
Mary Jackson

Crossville, TN

#17 Jan 31, 2013
To whom it may comcern: I am not afraid to give my name. I bought my home from the person you are refering to as MR H. He is a wonderful and kind person. When I was 3 mos behind on my payments he worked with me and let me get them caught up. When I bought the place he along with a local attorney
were there and the attorney went over every thing in my land contract. They both ask me if there was any questions and did I understand what I was signing. I answered YES i did. Unlike the people thats running Mr H down they also answered yes or had no questions and now because they have decided they dont want the propery any longer they think they should just be able to walk away and not lose anything or have to pay for the property. I cant say enough good things about Mr. H and i would never believe anytthing bad against him. Also I wouls like to know what subdivision SWF was refering to "MIKE" ask twice in he above comments and it seems SWF still did not answer.
SWF

Davenport, IA

#18 Jan 31, 2013
Mike wrote:
Yes I know Mr. H and have for years. I do not assume anything. SWF Im glad you feel you know the attorneys here in Crossville. But unlike you or starry i feel the attorneys here if agreed to take a case would do their job and be very FAIR. I dont feel that a person has to go out of town to get a g
ood and FAIR attorney.
Starry you and SWF both have an opinion and its appears you are one of the same person. But whatever . I also feel the public should be informed about the dangers of land contracts so why dont you have a seminor about it so all "US" IGNORANT people can be informed. It wouldnt be good if they hired one of the attorneys that YOU feel are "for show" or "an average" attorney. I sure you could inform them much better. I am done with this post not wasting any more time.
"Fair" has nothing to do with it, Mike; it's a potential "conflict of interest" if they've ever drawn up a contract for him; closed on a property for him; or represented him in any shape, form, or fashion. That's just a few examples of conflict of interest. It's actually much broader than that.

And for the record, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being an average attorney! Average is preferable to someone in the bottom 25%:)

As far as Starry goes, I have no idea who that is, but am appreciative of his/her comments. And if you think we are one and the same person, thanks for the compliment.

I too am growing tired of this conversation. I've said my piece, it's stayed up long enough for me to say what I wanted to say; I'm good.
SWF

Davenport, IA

#19 Jan 31, 2013
Mary Jackson wrote:
To whom it may comcern: I am not afraid to give my name. I bought my home from the person you are refering to as MR H. He is a wonderful and kind person. When I was 3 mos behind on my payments he worked with me and let me get them caught up. When I bought the place he along with a local attorney
were there and the attorney went over every thing in my land contract. They both ask me if there was any questions and did I understand what I was signing. I answered YES i did. Unlike the people thats running Mr H down they also answered yes or had no questions and now because they have decided they dont want the propery any longer they think they should just be able to walk away and not lose anything or have to pay for the property. I cant say enough good things about Mr. H and i would never believe anytthing bad against him. Also I wouls like to know what subdivision SWF was refering to "MIKE" ask twice in he above comments and it seems SWF still did not answer.
Hi, Mike!!!

If you understood everything in your contract--and I need to assume unless you tell me otherwise that the subject property did NOT have a lien on it--then why are you worried which subdivision it's in?

And why aren't you as concerned with the questions that "I" asked "him" that he has yet to answer, hmmm?

And let's state for the record, right here and right now, who is running Mr. H down, as you said? Well, actually, he put it the exact same way that you just did. "Running down".

Please be specific, because I can't find what you're talking about.
SWF

Davenport, IA

#20 Jan 31, 2013
Mary Jackson wrote:
"...because they have decided they dont want the propery any longer they think they should just be able to walk away and not lose anything or have to pay for the property..."
Wow!! Where did you get THAT kinda information from, "Mary"?

Keep in mind...those who talk to you about others, will talk to others about YOU!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crossville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
twerley trash strikes 32 min BLANKENSHIP 1
dr millagan (Jul '13) 2 hr Queen 10
counselman twerlry our superhero !!! 2 hr Mike 41
Report Drug Activity Here 3 hr Original Challenger 48
Janet Parsons = James Mayberry 4 hr Elspeth 8
Pennzoil 6 hr thinkbig 15
Caland Wilson What's with him?? 8 hr Nada2423 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crossville Mortgages