First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Researching

Carrollton, GA

#1 Oct 13, 2010
Does anyone know how to find an IP Address from a Post?

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#2 Oct 13, 2010
I do not think you can. Why?
sounds like

Canada

#3 Oct 13, 2010
SalC wrote:
I do not think you can. Why?
someone got their feelings hurt.
Researching

Carrollton, GA

#4 Oct 13, 2010
Someone has posted IP addresses...supposedly from an IP Lookup. I think it's bogus...but just thought I would check:-)

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#5 Oct 13, 2010
A lot of people say they can look it up and maybe truly believe they can but I have never seen it happen.
where

Sparta, TN

#6 Oct 13, 2010
Researching wrote:
Someone has posted IP addresses...supposedly from an IP Lookup. I think it's bogus...but just thought I would check:-)
Where might I find this post?

Since: Jun 10

Crossville, TN

#7 Oct 13, 2010
The fact is that everyone's IP is randomly changing, Your provider does this to insure everyone's privacy. The only way to track someone's physical IP is to get a warrant and then only Investigators are privy to the knowledge.

Any software that bypasses the provider and locates a person otherwise is highly illegal and the fines and sentences carried by using such software usually outweighs any personal reason to seek the information in the first place. For instance, you can scan me for my IP right now, and in 15 minute sit will be different if you do it again. Same with anyone.

Since: Jun 10

Crossville, TN

#8 Oct 13, 2010
Grognak wrote:
The fact is that everyone's IP is randomly changing, Your provider does this to insure everyone's privacy. The only way to track someone's physical IP is to get a warrant and then only Investigators are privy to the knowledge.
Any software that bypasses the provider and locates a person otherwise is highly illegal and the fines and sentences carried by using such software usually outweighs any personal reason to seek the information in the first place. For instance, you can scan me for my IP right now, and in 15 minute sit will be different if you do it again. Same with anyone.
Don't just disagree, what part am I wrong about? There's a few folks I'd like to discover the identities of.
Jenny

Crossville, TN

#9 Oct 13, 2010
Thats a negative.
Utility programs provided with the computer's network operating system (NOS) allow IP address lookups(and reverses) on both private LANs and the Internet. In Windows, for example, the nslookup command supports lookups via name servers and/or hosts files.
mee-too

United States

#10 Oct 13, 2010
if your lucky enough to actually remember the web site, it would tell you only who the internet service provider was and the city or town it is located in. I used to do it all the time back about 10 years ago. NEVER a persons name.
elohssa

Crossville, TN

#11 Oct 13, 2010
Grognak wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't just disagree, what part am I wrong about? There's a few folks I'd like to discover the identities of.
*toughguy*

Since: Jun 10

Crossville, TN

#12 Oct 13, 2010
elohssa wrote:
<quoted text>
*toughguy*
I was being sarcastic, eloliosahhasa
blah

Crossville, TN

#13 Oct 13, 2010
i just think topix should be shut down and let people grow some balls and say how they really feel about a person instead of hiding behind their computers .....just sayin..lol
JustAGuy

Crossville, TN

#14 Oct 13, 2010
I see so much ignorance (not necessarily willful) and misunderstanding of IP addresses on Topix. It's true that IP addresses are available to those who control web servers. The Topix people certainly have access to posters' apparent IP addresses. But, that doesn't mean that users of web sites have access to that address. The only way that users would have access to a poster's IP address is if the web programmers exposed the address to users. As far as I can tell, Topix does not do this. Moderators likely have access to posters' IP addresses, but normal users apparently do not.

If a normal user wanted a poster's IP address, the would have to subpoena Topix for it. From there, they would have to get a court order to force an ISP to reveal logs which would show which subscriber was using the IP address in question at the date and time in question.

Even if they were able to do that, the poster's apparent address cannot necessarily be traced to a particular subscriber account. The poster could be using a proxy server, an open wifi access point, an internet cafe computer, or even a public library computer. They could be working for a business using Network Address Translation (NAT), for which all of the business's computers would appear to external sites as one IP address.

IP addresses are not, in general, automatically rotated by ISPs to protect subscribers' identities. If you are using DSL for example, you could have the same IP address for days or weeks. If you are a business with a fixed IP address, then you could have the same one for decades. If you are using dial-up, then your IP address could change every time you connected. It really depends on your connection type and your ISP's setup, but in general they are not randomly changed to protect anyone's identity.

If any regular user claims to have your IP address, or claims to be able to trace it with some magical piece of software on their computer, then they are completely full of shit.

Hope this clears some stuff up.

Since: Jun 10

Crossville, TN

#15 Oct 13, 2010
JustAGuy wrote:
I see so much ignorance (not necessarily willful) and misunderstanding of IP addresses on Topix. It's true that IP addresses are available to those who control web servers. The Topix people certainly have access to posters' apparent IP addresses. But, that doesn't mean that users of web sites have access to that address. The only way that users would have access to a poster's IP address is if the web programmers exposed the address to users. As far as I can tell, Topix does not do this. Moderators likely have access to posters' IP addresses, but normal users apparently do not.
If a normal user wanted a poster's IP address, the would have to subpoena Topix for it. From there, they would have to get a court order to force an ISP to reveal logs which would show which subscriber was using the IP address in question at the date and time in question.
Even if they were able to do that, the poster's apparent address cannot necessarily be traced to a particular subscriber account. The poster could be using a proxy server, an open wifi access point, an internet cafe computer, or even a public library computer. They could be working for a business using Network Address Translation (NAT), for which all of the business's computers would appear to external sites as one IP address.
IP addresses are not, in general, automatically rotated by ISPs to protect subscribers' identities. If you are using DSL for example, you could have the same IP address for days or weeks. If you are a business with a fixed IP address, then you could have the same one for decades. If you are using dial-up, then your IP address could change every time you connected. It really depends on your connection type and your ISP's setup, but in general they are not randomly changed to protect anyone's identity.
If any regular user claims to have your IP address, or claims to be able to trace it with some magical piece of software on their computer, then they are completely full of shit.
Hope this clears some stuff up.
He's actually very right. Anyone scanning me for instance will find that to the viewer I am actually in Sweden, I think it's Sweden anyway. Sometimes it's Norway.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#16 Oct 14, 2010
yes you can ive done it....this video will show you step by step

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/318719/trace_an...
JustAGuy

Crossville, TN

#17 Oct 14, 2010
Tat2mat wrote:
yes you can ive done it....this video will show you step by step
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/318719/trace_an...
Um, no. The video simply shows how to do a traceroute, which is a command available in most Unix, Linux, and Windows installations. You must (a) have the IP address, which Topix does not reveal. And (b), it only reveals the location of where it thinks the entity that owns the IP address is located. This information is spotty at best. The best case scenario is if it correctly locates your ISP's corporate headquarters and you get to view it in Google Earth. Frontier Communications is a major ISP that serves the Crossville area for example, but many of these databases show Frontier IP addresses as being located in Rochester, NY. That's because Frontier's headquarters is there.
In other words, the video doesn't demonstrate anything useful in regards to tracking down individuals who post on Topix.

“ Remember where you're at..”

Since: Jun 10

Not here thank god!

#18 Oct 14, 2010
Even IF you were able to secure someone's IP addr and
plug it into the whois function at ARIN.net it would
not give you a subscribers name--only how has the block of numbers. Plug in your own and you can see for yourself what info comes up.The Justaguy answer was pretty much right on.
Researching

Dandridge, TN

#19 Oct 14, 2010
That is pretty much what I thought! Some guy on the Dayton or Spring City Topix is posting IP Addresses, and is making a fool of himself:-) Go Figure..ON TOPIX...haha!

Great information! Love having a TOPIX...that is not trash;-) Thanks All!

“ Remember where you're at..”

Since: Jun 10

Not here thank god!

#20 Oct 14, 2010
and I was dyslexic..it should be WHO has the block not HOW...sorry..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crossville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Slept with your man 5 min kimmi 27
Phoenix & pregnant girls?! (Aug '10) 43 min wow 75
older men have better affection 44 min Tara 44
Hunty 1 hr barf 2
Jeff Selk Ceramics 2 hr taking pictures 1
I Hate Marco Rubio (May '14) 3 hr The REAL Doctor H... 68
Cchs girls basketball coach 3 hr Greatful Jet 14
Hot Moms! 4 hr Slow joe 8
leaving a bar WATCH OUT!!! 14 hr wild man 18
Crossville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Crossville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Crossville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Crossville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:14 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:14PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 6:53 AM
Julio Jones' availability hinges on pre-game workout, again
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
Bleacher Report 9:45 AM
Complete Preview for Falcons vs. Saints
Bleacher Report10:16 AM
Complete Preview for Saints vs. Falcons