First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Charlimax

Crossville, TN

#1 Aug 13, 2012
Grandson came home from school and tells me there is little or no textbooks this year. Please let me know if this is a county problem or is it statewide?
lost

Crossville, TN

#2 Aug 13, 2012
sounds like a BOE money mis-management issue
Charlimax wrote:
Grandson came home from school and tells me there is little or no textbooks this year. Please let me know if this is a county problem or is it statewide?
who knows

Crossville, TN

#3 Aug 13, 2012
My daughter did too. She said that her math and reading are in tearout workbooks that don't have homework to do. I know that in bigger cites they are doing e books, but nt sure what the issue is here. My daughter said she only has one real book...
farmgirl

Crossville, TN

#4 Aug 13, 2012
Depending on what grade your child or grandchild is in will just have a few textbooks. In the lower grades they do have workbooks that they tear out in math, spelling, language. My son was in third grade last year and the only textbook they had was reading, science and social studies. I am a parent volunteer and on the PTO at my son's school and I was at school almost all day long today and the teacher's are just know issuing textbooks. So I would say that your grandson is just pulling your leg and there is plenty of textbooks in the schools!!
Charlimax

Crossville, TN

#5 Aug 14, 2012
Actually he's a sophomore taking biology, english, criminal justice and spanish. No textbooks, not that he's complaining. I just wonder how much homework is going to be accomplished.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#6 Aug 14, 2012
Textbooks are on a 5yr rotation as I understand it, and unfortunately the standards are being changed every 3 or so years. It is stupid for the county to buy a lot of books that are basically not going to be good for the time they are being bought for.
sbx

Crossville, TN

#7 Aug 14, 2012
Well that does not answer the question, about what are the kids supposed to use as a basis for study. we pay taxes, we want text books. why go cheap when our kids education is involved, typical BOE.
The Original Interesting wrote:
Textbooks are on a 5yr rotation as I understand it, and unfortunately the standards are being changed every 3 or so years. It is stupid for the county to buy a lot of books that are basically not going to be good for the time they are being bought for.
Charlimax

Crossville, TN

#8 Aug 17, 2012
I still haven't figured out how a sophomore will not receive ANY text books for his first semester. How does he study Spanish, English or Biology. I know all students don't have access to internet.
gotya
#9 Aug 17, 2012
If you get on the web, there are numbers to contact in the Department of Education in Nashville, and I am sure they can find answers to this dilemma. Its just like why the city can afford electronic blinds and no fireworks or provide jobs. We have a right to know, and nobody can stop us from exercising our constitutional rights to know where our money is going and why the BOE has not provided any books.
Charlimax wrote:
I still haven't figured out how a sophomore will not receive ANY text books for his first semester. How does he study Spanish, English or Biology. I know all students don't have access to internet.

Location hidden

#10 Aug 17, 2012
sbx wrote:
Well that does not answer the question, about what are the kids supposed to use as a basis for study. we pay taxes, we want text books. why go cheap when our kids education is involved, typical BOE.
<quoted text>
You pay taxes so you want text book? Really, ok think about it. Text books cost a lot. Not positive but had an elementary teacher friend of mine said her books cost 75-80 each. If you figure 25 kids a class that comes to around $2000 per class per subject. So math, science, ss, reading, and language. You are talking about $10,000 for each class each year. That is 300+ for each kid, and HS books are a lot more expensive so are you serious???????

http://www.publicschoolreview.com/school_ov/s... according to this there are about 7,376 students. So you are talking about buying 2.2 million in books......

You don't pay that kind of taxes!
wow

Crossville, TN

#11 Aug 17, 2012
OK you have not said which school he attends or if he is in honors/ap or whatever. At cchs it will depend on the teacher. They have the books, most teachers do not use them at cchs. If he is at cchs he will get a biology book, they are just having to get the numbers straight for each class. Kids have been changing their schedules and this is the way it is the first week of school. In spanish he will get worksheets and take notes.He should have had a test in biology this week over safty rules for lab.
amazed

Crossville, TN

#12 Aug 29, 2012
<quoted text>
You pay taxes so you want text book? Really, ok think about it. Text books cost a lot. Not positive but had an elementary teacher friend of mine said her books cost 75-80 each. If you figure 25 kids a class that comes to around $2000 per class per subject. So math, science, ss, reading, and language. You are talking about $10,000 for each class each year. That is 300+ for each kid, and HS books are a lot more expensive so are you serious???????
http://www.publicschoolreview.com/school_ov/s... according to this there are about 7,376 students. So you are talking about buying 2.2 million in books......
You don't pay that kind of taxes!
From sports authority to tax expert, it's easy to see why you are so full of yourself. No one else should be on this forum you obviously have all the right answers. Shakespeare's Macbeth line describes you to a tee....."full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

Location hidden

#13 Aug 29, 2012
amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
From sports authority to tax expert, it's easy to see why you are so full of yourself. No one else should be on this forum you obviously have all the right answers. Shakespeare's Macbeth line describes you to a tee....."full of sound and fury signifying nothing."
If I don't know something I know how to ask about it, so my opinions are usually based on reality. You maybe should try it sometime....
who cares

Crossville, TN

#14 Aug 30, 2012
<quoted text>
If I don't know something I know how to ask about it, so my opinions are usually based on reality. You maybe should try it sometime....
Perhap your own little reality. Take off the blinders, there's a great big world out there, ask outside your fantasy world which in no way borders reality. You are great at missing the point and are consistently off mark in your commentary.

Location hidden

#15 Aug 30, 2012
who cares wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhap your own little reality. Take off the blinders, there's a great big world out there, ask outside your fantasy world which in no way borders reality. You are great at missing the point and are consistently off mark in your commentary.
Really, why spend hundreds of thousands up to millions of dollars on text books that do not match the state standards that the teachers are supposed to be teaching? Answer that question for me if you can.

You are so right, it is a big world out there, but spending tax money on something that doesn't work, doesn't seem like very good stewardship to me. If I am so off base then please do "splain" it to me!
who cares

Crossville, TN

#16 Aug 31, 2012
<quoted text>
Really, why spend hundreds of thousands up to millions of dollars on text books that do not match the state standards that the teachers are supposed to be teaching? Answer that question for me if you can.
You are so right, it is a big world out there, but spending tax money on something that doesn't work, doesn't seem like very good stewardship to me. If I am so off base then please do "splain" it to me!
Stewardship is such a nice church word. "Spending tax money on something that doesn't work....,". It's obvious you don't understand the American Government. It's the most inefficient business in the world and sadly the Mafia is the most efficient. Perhaps we should contract them to run this country. All the "splaining" in the world would merely fall on deaf ears in your case.

Location hidden

#17 Aug 31, 2012
who cares wrote:
<quoted text>
Stewardship is such a nice church word. "Spending tax money on something that doesn't work....,". It's obvious you don't understand the American Government. It's the most inefficient business in the world and sadly the Mafia is the most efficient. Perhaps we should contract them to run this country. All the "splaining" in the world would merely fall on deaf ears in your case.
Ah, just as I figured, you don't have a clue. Complaining about government not wasting money! So funny its just sad!
who cares

Crossville, TN

#18 Sep 6, 2012
<quoted text>
Ah, just as I figured, you don't have a clue. Complaining about government not wasting money! So funny its just sad!
Not complaining at all, just think its hilarious that your commentary will fix the world. With all the other incredible stupid decisions government makes they try to be good stewards on text books. "We have to have the electric blinds." I probably have twice your education and am so amused at how you put others down to feel good about yourself. Why not focus your energy on some areas that you might really make a difference in instead of fighting the other hundred battles a day which you cannot alter either way? Who knows, maybe one day you'll be able to come across as credible and not detestable.

Location hidden

#19 Sep 6, 2012
who cares wrote:
<quoted text>
Not complaining at all, just think its hilarious that your commentary will fix the world. With all the other incredible stupid decisions government makes they try to be good stewards on text books. "We have to have the electric blinds." I probably have twice your education and am so amused at how you put others down to feel good about yourself. Why not focus your energy on some areas that you might really make a difference in instead of fighting the other hundred battles a day which you cannot alter either way? Who knows, maybe one day you'll be able to come across as credible and not detestable.
So you want to compound stupid with more stupid......yep, shows how educated you are.

BTW I consider being detested by idiots a badge of honor! Congrats ya made my day!
Student

Cookeville, TN

#20 Sep 6, 2012
Charlimax wrote:
If he has Mr.Greene he wont have very much biology homework anyway nobody has a take home spanish book thats what notes are for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crossville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Breckenridge Lake P.O.A. (May '11) 5 min greatswimminspot 58
lake tansi swimming 5 min swimmingtansi 10
Funny Bumper Stickers you've seen 7 min truestory 2
a beautiful lucky day for a beastman 2 hr beastman 56
Apparently I went from worst to first 2 hr beastman 5
How long before the libs tell us that BEASTIALI... 2 hr hahaha 28
wedding officiant 3 hr Irving 12
More from around the web

Crossville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE