South Cumberland Elementary School
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
What R U Thinking

United States

#21 May 24, 2012
OMG wrote:
Good Grief! The problem isn't kids seeing the wrong images, it's the passive aggressive parents who want to blame their children's bad behavior on the schools or teachers or whatever they can...anything to keep from having to actually teach their own kids the difference between right and wrong, fact and fiction, and about respect.
Oh my! Don't boo the other team at a basketball game; that might hurt their feelings. Let's all not teach our kids about real life or they might actually become adults with common sense.
Better yet, let them listen to you complain about cartoon mascots while they sit quietly reading the Hunger Games.
The point is - these are KIDS. When kids are playing, and the adults in the bleachers are yelling obnoxious comments about the other team or even the home team, where's the sportsmanship? the teaching between right and wrong? the teaching of respect? Competition is highly overrated - true accomplishment usually comes from groups (teams) working together, not tearing each other down. After these kids play against each other at the elementary level, we expect them to put all the hostilities aside and form a team in high school (not likely). These murals might be acceptable for adult ball players, but not at an elementary level. A little common sense would be welcome here - an adult had to approve the murals, and if someone had suggested to the artist certain images might not be appropriate = no problem. Schools should only use their mascots, and if these murals are remotely condoning bullying or violence, paint over them.
Say Huh

Clover, SC

#22 May 24, 2012
Concerned wrote:
Call it what you want, I have no problem with competition, my kids play sports at South, and I'm proud of the kids, and I don't think the school is racist. Although, I know first hand that racist jerks are still very alive and well in Crossville. I do not talk about these kind of things in front or to them either. I just wanted some honest opinions from some honest parents.
On the mural, no I don't want daisies jerk, I just don't a kid "hanging" of any kind from a tree with history being what it is. Face it, it is what it is.... I think it's inappropriate and ignorant on a few different levels. You know, if the kid was anywhere else in the picture, I don't think it would bother me so much.
I can't ask any of you to understand the way I feel about it, and I read into it so deeply because it was only 20 some years ago (not 50, not 100) that a cross was burnt in my own front yard. And that kind of shit pisses me off.
Did you just refer to me as a racist jerk? Since you made the comment "racist jerks", then called ME a jerk, I can't help but wonder. How big of you to to resort to name calling.
Say Huh

Crossville, TN

#23 May 24, 2012
Concerned wrote:
Call it what you want, I have no problem with competition, my kids play sports at South, and I'm proud of the kids, and I don't think the school is racist. Although, I know first hand that racist jerks are still very alive and well in Crossville. I do not talk about these kind of things in front or to them either. I just wanted some honest opinions from some honest parents.
On the mural, no I don't want daisies jerk, I just don't a kid "hanging" of any kind from a tree with history being what it is. Face it, it is what it is.... I think it's inappropriate and ignorant on a few different levels. You know, if the kid was anywhere else in the picture, I don't think it would bother me so much.
I can't ask any of you to understand the way I feel about it, and I read into it so deeply because it was only 20 some years ago (not 50, not 100) that a cross was burnt in my own front yard. And that kind of shit pisses me off.
Since it is what is, maybe I will protest all the companies who manufacture crackers. I find it repulsive that I have to look at such a vulgar, racist slur used to refer to caucasians. The movie "White Men Can't Jump" is going down too.
Itsok

Clover, SC

#24 May 24, 2012
I think the mural is okay, it's cute rivalry.

What's not okay is the principle mr threet watching the football players shower and change after practice.
Someone needs to tell that pervert that there are moms in this county that are on to him and ready to whistleblow.
BigFoot Believer

Dickson, TN

#25 May 24, 2012
Its been there for years.. i went to school and played basketball and other sports there, that painting didnt make me wanna hang anyone! All the other schools have similar murials painted by the same guy..
DUH

Crossville, TN

#26 May 25, 2012
Say Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Did you just refer to me as a racist jerk? Since you made the comment "racist jerks", then called ME a jerk, I can't help but wonder. How big of you to to resort to name calling.
I don't think they were calling you a racist, they were calling you a jerk for being a jerk, with your daisy comment. Way to run with it.
RatRacer

Crossville, TN

#27 May 25, 2012
Anony-mouse wrote:
And this is why I homeschooled our kids. I don't have to worry about the thousands of negative/warped messages like that in their heads.
Here's the world's tiniest violin...
Say Huh

Clover, SC

#28 May 25, 2012
DUH wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think they were calling you a racist, they were calling you a jerk for being a jerk, with your daisy comment. Way to run with it.
What's wrong with daisies?
DUH

Crossville, TN

#29 May 26, 2012
Seriously?
NCE parent

Hoffman Forest, NC

#30 May 27, 2012
what i think is bad is that my kids and there frends get beat like little bitches every time they play south when they start a meth cooking race and a pig mountin contest well show u who rules same to all you oither schools that beat our kids liek bitches at all the sports im talking bout u homestead craborcherd brown fak u
sensitive skin

United States

#31 May 27, 2012
didnt a kid from north actually hang himself a few years ago?
That Guy

Crossville, TN

#32 May 31, 2012
Thes es kinda dum. Al tha schols hav merals on them own walls. Jus get ova tha facked that the Rebuls domenat evryon who walcs in they're jim. :) You peple are stuiped.
someone

United States

#33 May 31, 2012
Really? You guys are complaining about a picture that was pained on the gym wall nearly 20 years ago? It represents their mascot. I don't see people causing an uproar when students at cchs say " kill those dragons!" during homecoming.
Besides, the picture painted on the wall represents an act during the civil war era. Obviously, from the way they are dressed in the picture will tell you guys that its not a child from North school they're hanging, its a soldier. I'm sure a child will even understand that its just a cartoon. I went to South since I was in 1st grade, I graduated from there as well, and not once did I think wrong of that painting and nor did it cause any bad influence on me.
someone

United States

#34 May 31, 2012
sensitive skin wrote:
didnt a kid from north actually hang himself a few years ago?
The child committed suicide because his girl friend dumped. I'm sure that child never saw the painting either at south. Don't make irrational assumptions about why the child did this in his way. For all you know, he saw it on television.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crossville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
My white BMW with the black wheels 58 min Wrong town 3
judge larry warner (Jul '10) 1 hr You know 184
Wrecker rates Cumberland county 1 hr X wrecker operator 11
Fair pageant rigged?? 1 hr Yupp 2
Druggies SMILE 2 hr Once lived there 5
Mike Allison 10 hr Sunny 1
Lonely are the free 11 hr Crossvilleblows 2

Crossville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance