Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Feb 11, 2013
anyone know

Morganton, NC

#1 Nov 6, 2011
I've never done this but been thinking about buying beef in bulk such as ground beef steaks etc..I know you can buy a cow from the slaughter house and pay buy the pound plus packaging costs and such and I've heard its alot cheaper and tastier than grocery store meat. I would like to hear from anyone having experience doing this and also can you buy a quarter of a cow only?

“enjoying life”

Since: Oct 10

Clinton, tn

#2 Nov 6, 2011
I would love to know more about this to, any good slaughter houses near Crossville, name of company tel # price if known :)
yes

Crossville, TN

#3 Nov 6, 2011
I would like more info too if anyone has it.
farmall super A

Crossville, TN

#4 Nov 6, 2011
Much more economical. Much better meat. You have to have a freezer with adequate storage. As long as the meat is vacuum-packed[virtually eliminates freezer burn], there are 3 area slaughter houses that are very good. Wyatt's[my choice], H&R, and Cope's[toward Sparta].
yep

Crossville, TN

#5 Nov 6, 2011
cope's is where i go. its great. taste much better than store bought, better for you and saves so much money. i spend 100 dollars in meat for a family of 3 for a whole month and i still have extra at the end of the month. i recommend it :)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6 Nov 6, 2011
Here is a great website for products made in Tennessee.

http://www.picktnproducts.org/food/

There are beef producers very close to Crossville. I hope it helps.
well

Morganton, NC

#7 Nov 6, 2011
What are you actually getting for 100 dollars? How many pounds of meat? All ground or steaks too? I believe how they normally do it is so much a pound live weight so I'm not sure how much a pound it would be for the meat since your only getting about 50% meat out of the live weight.
loves

Crossville, TN

#8 Nov 6, 2011
Copes is the best but whites is also good

Since: Oct 11

Mcminnville, TN

#9 Nov 6, 2011
I agree that it is better meat but as far as being cheaper, that all depends on what you get. Then again, i can only compare it to copes as that is the only place ive been so far.
yep

Crossville, TN

#10 Nov 7, 2011
im not real sure of how much it is a pound for everything but last time i went i got 12 good chicken breast 6 filimigons( probably didnt spell that right) two big bags of hot wings, 4 ribeyes and a box of pork tenderloins, and box of fish fillets. all tasted great. i was very pleased
Good information

Chattanooga, TN

#12 Jun 12, 2012
Well I just hung up with Wyatt for pricing myself. They charge the following:
$25.00 processing .35 cent per pound of HANGING WEIGHT no matter if it's beef or hog. They can refer you to different cattle farms, so you can call and check prices of beef/hog. You would have to add that in too, but you would save 1/2 your slaughter price with them, minus the $25 processing fee. They use vacuum - package

I checked on R&D Slaughter in Dunlap, TN. They charge the following rather you order 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or a full.
Beef $1.45 per pound "LIVE WEIGHT". This includes the beef
Hog $1.20 per pound "LIVE WEiGHT". This includes the Hog
They use vacuum - package

Example - buy a 700 pound "LIVE WEIGHT" cow. After everything removed the "HANGING WEIGHT" would be around 307 pounds, give or take. If you use Wyatt you have your $25.00 processing fee. If the cow cost the same amount, you would save about $75.00.

Hope this helps

Really all in-all there is not much difference with the pricing.
can you

United States

#13 Jun 12, 2012
Can you just go there and buy beef from them or do you have to take them a cow? So what it amounts to is you are getting beef for about $1.50 a pound? Is that what you are saying? Much cheaper than the grocery store and better for you i guess.
go to

Crossville, TN

#14 Jun 12, 2012
go to copes outside of pleasant hill near sparta . they have a grocery store where you can buy meats and other products. they also have a website that you can look at pricing.
40yrsexperiance

Cookeville, TN

#15 Jun 12, 2012
You will never save a dime buying live weight and getting it butchered, and 700 lb cattle is tiny, the steak eye would be the size of a pork chop. First of all this local stuff is grass fed, its the stage it reaches before it is supposed to go to a feed lot. It will be tougher than shoe leather and nasty.
If you could buy live weight cattle from Nebraska, Colorado or another state selling Grain Fed Cattle then yes, you won't save anything but at least it would be quality.
You could only save if your going to eat it all to begin with. Am I eating it all, I don't think so. Liver, Shank Meat, Hanging tender, Soup Bones, kidney, Skirt Steak, Flank Steak. You are buying stuff you would never buy so the cost goes up because your paying for all of it.
Shop sales and freeze it, get what you want. I have worked in Packing houses, Grocery Stores, Butcher Shops and 5 star Hotels and have raised cattle.
Low quality beef like pork is dark in color. You should see what a wild boar looks like, almost purple in color compared to grocery store pork and its because it is not properly grained prior to butchering, it has a slimy feel.
40yrsexperiance

Cookeville, TN

#16 Jun 12, 2012
Its bad enough that the usda lowered government grading standards years back, you are not eating the quality your parents knew. I bought a true USDA Prime whole NY Strip a few months back which is the highest quality you can buy. It did not require a knife to cut it, my nephew was flabbergasted, he had never in his 28 years on earth had anything that good.
Ok prime is almost out of the question here anyway, 8% of all US production makes the prime grade, most of that is purchased by the high end Hotels and Restaurants and the rest is sold to areas that aren't used to eating crap. Pa, NY, Co, Ca etc.
40yrsexperiance

Cookeville, TN

#17 Jun 12, 2012
In Crossville you have three major packing houses supplying the entire region. Excell which is Conagra. Besides pork they send in select and choice beef under the certified angus program and also supply the Laura Lynn grass fed beef to Food City. IBP, Iowa Beef Processors, they supply beef and pork but again this area only brings in select and choice under the certified angus program and then there is National which supplies select and choice beef by usda standards without the certified angus sticker.
40yrsexperiance

Cookeville, TN

#18 Jun 12, 2012
http://library.thinkquest.org/11226/main/c13t...

This has a few pictures of the highest to the lowest quality beef and some info, the lowest quality pictures are still better than most of the beef you can buy from the local slaughter houses because those animals at least got to sniff some corn. lol

Its sad but true
Elmark1

Livingston, TN

#19 Feb 11, 2013
I own and operate ELMARK FARMS outside of Monterey, TN. I raise registered Black Angus for beef consumption. I sell them by the whole/half this year for $1.50/lb. and by the piece at the Monterey Farmer's Market on Wed and Sat. from Memorial Day weekend until October. My live weight customers can have the steer delivered to any slaughter house in the three county area free, but most chose Wyatts. My Farmer's Market beef is processed at R&D cause they are the closest to me that is USDA commerical slaughter approved. I am licensed by TN for beef sales, and thus am inspected twice a year. I send blood samples of ALL of my bull calves to the Angus Association which grades their marbling on a scale of 1-5. I do not sell anything less then a 4 (and only have one 4 the rest are 5). Once weaned they are fed class A hay and corn based grain until they reach 1200 pounds.
The average blk angus cow has a marbling epd of .34 but I keep no cows with less then .70. Average bulls are .41 and my current one is .65. I will buy a new one this year that is even better.
For more information you can contact me at ELMARK1@aol.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crossville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
People who fake illnesses to get disability (Jul '12) 10 min United 76
graham vs mayberry 1 hr talk 7
farley 3 hr dist 7 1
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 3 hr Windy 9,328
What's happened to Honey's Market 4 hr turtle humper 15
jenna coulter 5 hr thebigman 1
how many people have f*cked jenna coulter from ... 5 hr thebigman 1
Disband cchs football 9 hr Only one high school 37
Cumberland County Fair 2014 14 hr fun 15
crab orchard baptist preacher 20 hr RRC 22
Pandora's Forest (Sep '13) Sat freaky 263
•••
•••
•••

Crossville Jobs

•••