Dumpster Diving Opportunities in Cros...

Dumpster Diving Opportunities in Crossvlle

Posted in the Crossville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Recycling Ben

United States

#1 Mar 25, 2011
I'm relocating to Crossville TN soon and need some advise and tips for dumpster diving prospects in Cumberland County. My wife and I have organized several dumpster diving clubs in Nebraska, Florida, Missouri, and South Carolina. Dumpster Diving is a fantastic hobby and you can really meet some nice friends.It's best to dive with a friend, and to wear a butcher's smock to make yourself look like a grocery store employee and appear legitimate. We always bang the side of the dumpster first to scare off possums, rats, squirrels, snakes and other dumpster divers.

Here's a list of necessities for dumpster diving

NeedComfortable, sturdy clothes you don't mind getting dirty

Cheap pants with leather or denim patches sewn over the knees for added protection

Strong, fully-enclosed shoes or boots

Gloves

Milk crate or stool

Plastic bags

A stick or grabbing device for poking about

Flashlight or headlamp

First aid kit

Helmet

Hand Sanitizer

Tweezers

Metal Fork
==========
Happy Diving,
Ben Bellotte
hoosier

Santa Barbara, CA

#2 Mar 25, 2011
yep and there's plenty of mexican restrants to sell your dumster food to.
Big Moe

Crossville, TN

#3 Mar 25, 2011
They wont let you do that here.The people that work at the individual dumps takes all the stuff their selfs.And what they dont get Tony Smell more gets the rest.Just dont go to the dump by north school the old hag that runs that place will cuss you out.She has lots of people who hang around their with her.We quit going their,would rather take trash to town.
Reycling Ben

United States

#4 Mar 25, 2011
What about the dumpsters at Walmart, chain stores, Food City, or restaurant? i'm disappointed the fine art of dumpster diving isn't as traditional in middle TN :o(
lady

Crossville, TN

#5 Mar 25, 2011
Big Moe wrote:
They wont let you do that here.The people that work at the individual dumps takes all the stuff their selfs.And what they dont get Tony Smell more gets the rest.Just dont go to the dump by north school the old hag that runs that place will cuss you out.She has lots of people who hang around their with her.We quit going their,would rather take trash to town.
thats not true.
my boyfriend and i dive.
there are plenty of places to dive here.
weve brought home a good haul every time.
Recycling Ben

United States

#6 Mar 25, 2011
Thanks lady from Crossville or whoever your name is! I knew I could find some dumpster projects!
State Parks, restaurants, Lowe's, sushi bars, Home Depot and Long John silvers are some of my favorite dives.
Tn Trash

Cookeville, TN

#7 Mar 25, 2011
Try mcdonalds sometime then, im sure you can re heat some of those big macs and chicken nuggets that they throw away, also check out China Ones raw chicken they dump! I heard its finger licking good! as far as the INCONVIENCE centers I doubt that you will find much cos they are dont like compitition!

Since: Feb 11

Charlotte, NC

#8 Mar 25, 2011
Identity thief!
Recycling Ben wrote:
I'm relocating to Crossville TN soon and need some advise and tips for dumpster diving prospects in Cumberland County. My wife and I have organized several dumpster diving clubs in Nebraska, Florida, Missouri, and South Carolina. Dumpster Diving is a fantastic hobby and you can really meet some nice friends.It's best to dive with a friend, and to wear a butcher's smock to make yourself look like a grocery store employee and appear legitimate. We always bang the side of the dumpster first to scare off possums, rats, squirrels, snakes and other dumpster divers.
Cheap pants with leather or denim patches sewn over the knees for added protection
Gloves
Milk crate or stool
Plastic bags
Flashlight or headlamp
First aid kit
Helmet
Hand Sanitizer
Tweezers
Metal Fork
==========
Happy Diving,
Ben Bellotte
Limpy

Cleveland, TN

#9 Mar 25, 2011
Try diving behind Buleah's Brothel,!!Paydirt everytime!!

Since: Aug 10

Cookeville, TN

#10 Mar 26, 2011
I thought someone told me once that it was illegal to dumpster dive around here? If not, that would be a great way to recycle.
Brothel

Denver, NC

#11 Mar 26, 2011
Limpy wrote:
Try diving behind Buleah's Brothel,!!Paydirt everytime!!
Beaulas? What is that? Where is that? And may I ask what sonyou find in these dumpsters?
wino wilburn

United States

#12 Mar 26, 2011
Most of my diving these days is confined to food items, and usually just during the cooler (and coldest) part of the year... I don't food dive when it starts getting warmer, but it pays off when you know it's safer.

Latest dive .... bags of grapefruit and bottles of apple juice from Walmart... also I have a favorite dumpster at a local Save a Lot which always yields pretty decent stuff.

Cost of living is going SKY HIGH lately! I hadn't been doing any serious diving, because I was doing pretty well... but it's getting to where just buying a gallon of milk will decimate a five dollar bill. the economy! it's downright scary.....

When I get ahold of overripe fruit I just make wine and brandy. Sometimes I find bags of sugar out dumpster diving and that makes for wine at less than 5 cents a fifth if I have to buy my own yeast. It's much better than Stonehaus's wine
yippy

Crossville, TN

#13 Mar 26, 2011
Recycling Ben wrote:
Gloves
Milk crate or stool
Plastic bags
Flashlight or headlamp
First aid kit
Helmet
Hand Sanitizer
Tweezers
Metal Fork
==========
Happy Diving,
Ben Bellotte
heck me n my friends would love to g. sounds like a good time let me know when n where we will meet u their8503
dumpster diving tips

Rolesville, NC

#14 Mar 26, 2011
1. Scout out your dumpster

It is risky to immediately walk up to a dumpster’s plank and dive in. Many times there are cameras on surveillance, or hazardous wastes nearby, therefore causing the goods inside to be potentially unhealthy.

Once outside Pizza Hut in Cookeville a security guard caught a friend and me. We played dumb, told him we were making a project to reveal how much edible food is disgracefully thrown away. He smiled and told us to leave.

2. Go for large supermarkets

They stick to a strict code of tossing food that has passed its’ expiration date. Also, the bakeries inside will often deposit their day-old breads.(At a Kroger).

3. Come Around Again

Once the dumpster has been scouted, return to it at an appropriate hour when traffic is minimal.

Walk up to the dumpster with confidence; do not portray any suspicions. But quickly, forage and collect what you can. Also, carrying a grocer’s bag from the market can help conceal your actions.

4. Move Swiftly

With a full bag move out quickly. Back home, check the provisions over and wash carefully. Here is where you can discard any products you feel are not edible.

In the end, it is under your discretion of what to eat and what to toss.

Also, it is good to note whether or not any other divers are at the dumpster. For example, if a community of homeless resides near a source, be respectful and leave it to them.

These are the foundations of dumpster diving, or reaping off what other people call “waste” when, in actuality, it can be spared and used as necessary fuel.

Treat it as an art form and you will soon find yourself with a free meal, and an intriguing way of discovering how to travel, eat and live on a budget.

Put your wallets away, save your traveler’s checks and foreign currencies, and take the dive.
Ashba39

United States

#15 Mar 26, 2011
You can't food In Lowes dumpster so what's their?
Reed

Smartt, TN

#16 Mar 27, 2011
They is a lot of dumpsters here in Rhea County. On Hwy 68 in Grandview. Those are nice looking Dumpsters to dive in..
Ashba39

Boiling Springs, SC

#17 Mar 27, 2011
I would think you'd get sick eating out of a dumpster
Ashba39

Charlotte, NC

#20 Mar 27, 2011
If not food what else do you find? Like at Lowes Wmart ?
Fishy

Smartt, TN

#22 Mar 27, 2011
Used maxi pads.. YUMMY sniff sniff...
thats right

Sparta, TN

#23 Mar 27, 2011
bloo wrote:
<quoted text>
You better get your hepatitis shots updated, and you better wear gloves that do not let needles pierce through.
You are 100% right. That's what I've been telling them on the Cookeville forum!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crossville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ignorant people around here 6 min Really 12
Looking for a one night stand female 1 hr Wtf 4
Precious Little Snowflake Lib Democrats Now Bur... 1 hr 10 o clock people 13
Hillary Hayes Jackson 1 hr Blind Zebra 1
No More Obama 1/20/17 !!! 1 hr 10 o clock people 29
we gone take dis town ova by any means we here ... 1 hr Kkk 22
Patience girl from walmart 1 hr Crush 1
Kelsey brady Sat LisaBr74 30

Crossville Jobs

More from around the web