Welcome Home Organizer trashes Nativ...

Welcome Home Organizer trashes Native Americans and other Vets

Posted in the Crossville Forum

freedom fighter

Crossville, TN

#1 May 5, 2009
Local Veteran and "Welcome Home" organizer trashes his supporters and fellow Veterans, stating they "made me look bad" and stole the "show " from him.
Dann Dunham recently concluded the 2nd " Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Reunion" that was held in March of this year. Last years event was the 1st, and was a success. Weather was not on board either year, but the attendees that came in 2008 were treated to a good number of vendors, some entertainment and ceremony.
This year, due to the lack of people skills on the part of Mr. Dunham and his partner, many folks backed off from helping to put on another event. He was openly ungrateful to those dozens of willing hands, who put in much FREE time and effort to participate in what they felt was a very worthwhile cause. Not surprisingly, he had few helpers to get things done this year. He did call on one of last years vendors, Dana Sappier of Fat Chief Productions. Due to overwhelming demand, the "Indian Nations" was asked to return to help honor the Vets. He put together a pow wow type of celebration, complete with drums, dancers and a hell of a line up of entertainers. If anyone was there under the livestock pavilion, they were not disappointed.
However, Mr. Dunham in his usual lack of grace and thankfulness, accused Mr. Sappier of "stealing the show" and has slammed fellow Veterans of VVA chapter 1015 of the same. Somehow the "Indians" made him look bad. Had it not been for Sappiers efforts and his part of the "show" Dunham's event would have all but collapsed. He had very little of the promised dignitaries and other military "ceremony". The VVA chapter 1015 (Dunham is NOT a member) had a KIA ceremony for the local families who lost loved ones in Vietnam. That was held in the arena as part of the "honoring" the Native Americans were holding.
He was even pissed about the Wall being set up next to the Natives under the pavilion- VVA Chapter 203 of Chattanooga was going to set up in pouring down rain, but Mr. Sappier let them have the wing of the pavilion he was not using. Again, "stealing the show" from Mr. Dunham.
Favorable comments to Dann Dunham about the reunion is responded to by his saying "f ^&(&^*&*ing Indian Nations and chapter 1015 made me look bad". Very sad Dann Dunham!
Let's ask you this, with all the donated monies from various agencies and people and businesses for YOUR "Welcome Home Celebration", what did you spend it on??? Was it used to help the Veterans you claim to care about so much? Or was this a way to line your pockets and gain fame and notoriety for yourself?
Cindy Cox

Crossville, TN

#2 May 5, 2009
This is a very sad scenario.The Native American Community very much pulled together,we always do.We are all about honoring the Veterans from all conflicts.To have our names and reputations and our heritage being slandered is rude and obnoxious on Dan's behalf.We were there for this event.We were the drum honoring the Veterans.Dan had no problem coming to the "Native " side of this event and getting smudged.In which he"Dan" did thank the "INDIANS" for being there and for honoring everyone.We did everything with the most respect and dignity possible.To have someone to state that we,@#!%$*& INDIANS ruined him,will in turn come back and bite him in the rear..I will not slander anyone,I have more respect then DAN, but I will say,Dan,you ruined yourself and you graciously came to the Native Part of this event because you yourself said,your event was falling apart..Has your own memory lapsed..Dana Sappier and June Sappier-put on a very VERY good,honest event.They had alot of supporters and our drum group is only one of many.It is selfish,greedy people such as yourself who need to grow up,stop being childish,and if you are going to try and ruin someone and what they stand for you really need to GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT FIRST!!!
Minco

Lawrenceburg, TN

#3 May 8, 2009
Dann and some of his minion have trashed the Indian Nation and the VVA chapter, who are his fellow veterans. Maybe he didn't make enough money this year from Welcome Home. The riff last year that seperated the veterans that had worked so hard on the celebration from Dann was because he refused to open the books to them. This year the two groupes, VVA and Indian Nation, worked together and had a big success. There was very little going on in the building that Dann had. Then he has the nerve to say that they made him look bad! It should prove to all interested parties what is truth and what is fiction. He says that the VVA is going under anyway and that the Indian Nation want be included in anything else. That is all well and good. If I was either party I would stay as far away from him and his party as I could or they will become tared by the same brush as Dann. It is a shame that something that started out to be something very good could end up being just a money making scheme.
vet supporter

Crossville, TN

#4 May 13, 2009
Judging by the number of responses to this post- nobody gives a damn about the vets or the indians in this community.
Looks to me like it took several people to put this together.What's the big deal about the indians anyway?
If dunham is legit and was given funds to make the reunion happen, then he should have no problem accounting for the money.Is an audit in the works?
freedomfighter

Crossville, TN

#5 May 13, 2009
Native AMericans HONOR the Vets- were you there and witnessed the event the Natives did for the Vets?
Native Americans have fought in EVERY battle alongside the whites fought on this soil and abroad- in spite on efforts to erase this race from existance!
Airborn69

Lawrenceburg, TN

#6 May 13, 2009
It is the in-fighting with both parties that keeps them down. It seems that the Vietnam veterans could realize that they already fought a war and that is what made them veterans. Instead they continue to fight among themselves. One of the members of the local chapter was in the Wal-mart parking lot trashing another memberI wasn't trying to listen, he had his volum turned up so anybody could hear. It shouldn't be said about a fellow veteran what he said. I don't know why he thinks he is such great stuff. It is because of people and attitudes like his that I refuse to have any contact with this group. I have known from the start that Dann was out for himself and nobody else. If the people that know how he is would quite supporting him he would have to quite too. I know some good people that have been involved on both side and they were in it for the love of their brothers. There are some in it for themselves, what they can get out of if and how much. If it isn't money then it is to feed their ego. That is what the man that wears the Calvery hat with no other part of the uniform is in for. I have yet to hear a positive word from him. Him and Dann make good buddies. I served with a lot of Indians or part Indians they always had your back I couldn't ask for better men. Let these people that are for themselves go you can't change them.
freedomfighter

Crossville, TN

#7 May 13, 2009
By "both parties infighting" do you mean the VVA and Dann Dunham?
As far as I know Sappier and Dunham got along well enough, but after the treatment and backstabbing Sappier recieved from Dunham, that relationship is DOA
Airborn69

AOL

#8 May 17, 2009
There want ever be an audit for Dunnham. He claims to be a charity but that not true. He is out for hisself. The VVA could be a good thing but most that are running it now is on a ego trip.
name me one thing they have done for the veterans here. They put some pictures in the paper of a Kia. big deal, what about the living?
freedomfighter

Crossville, TN

#9 May 17, 2009
If he claims to be a charity- but has no 501 paperwork- then how can he proove he is a charity- an audit should be done if he is a legit charitable org.
NATIVE GIRL

Charlotte, NC

#10 May 18, 2009
cindy. thank you for the true statement for the native american people. we always walk in beauty. blessing
freedomfighter

Crossville, TN

#11 Jul 10, 2009
......and now we hear that this event grows even bigger each year! Ron Dyer was overheard to say that over 20,000 showed up this year- ha! Crossville would be OVERWHELMED with that many showing up- and where in heck did they all stay?
There may have been 2000 tops that showed up in March.
I hear on the radio as they promote the motorcycle ride that the event is getting bigger and better..... you DJ's need to be careful- these guys are not the guys they are trying to portray.
Dan Dunham has repeatedly trashed the Indians who helped him and his own fellow Veterans- the only vets getting help from the money raised is them selves..... Nice bike Scooter!
viking69

Lawrenceburg, TN

#12 Jul 10, 2009
Also....besides the exaggerations of the Welcome Home attendance and other parts of his recent remarks how could he be so crass to go to Johnson City where the Moving Wall was sponsored by the Rolling Chapter there and disrespect the Wall and the attending real Vietnam Veterans. It was so blatant that he was asked to leave on his own or with help. Also, what is with all the rank insignia that he wears on his veat that he did not earn the right to wear.
Pleasant Hill

Crossville, TN

#13 Jul 11, 2009
I found this on the pleasant hill site figured I would post it here.I just copied and pasted it here for you all to read.
Dann Dunham
Rochester, NY
Reply ยป
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday Jun 18
To all those who wrote here condemming myself and Ron Dyer, here are the facts.
"Welcome Home" is now and will be a fund raising event of Cumberland County Vietnam Veterans which is a non-profit, tax exempt organization listed with Nashville as such. All proceeds from "Welcome Home" go directly to Veterans in need and will continue to be used in this fashion. At no time has or will any member of our organization ever receive a penny for their part in "Welcome Home". Our Taxes have been filed. Anyone who wishes to confront me in person and not hide behind a screen name here may do so at any time. At that time I will have you discuss our money with our Treasurer, Bank, Sherrif, Police Chief, Mayor or anyone you would like to talk to about Cumberland County Vietnam Veterans and "Welcome Home".
For the person making all the wild accuations about me bashing the Native Americans and keeping money to myself I can only say, "Be real careful as you are treading on slander and liable charges".
viking69

Lawrenceburg, TN

#14 Jul 11, 2009
Well, there you go again, Dann, lying. You have trashed the Native Americans that saved your bacon at this years Welcome Home becaise you did not have anything worth while attending. You know in your heart that is true. If you are legal now what is your Federal Id# so it can be checked.
Airborn69

Lawrenceburg, TN

#15 Jul 22, 2009
20,000 people converging on Crossville with a population of 6,000+ would be almost 4x the population. Right! And if that could be true how many of those were Vietnam Veterans? The truth is the Vietnam Veterans do not support them, the city cares about getting their name in the paper. The county mayor changes color like a lizzard, whatever he touches at the time. Veterans aren't his favorite subject. Wonder why? But then the vets from Nam have been pushed and shoved until they don't care either not about each other or anybody else. They have one org. they can't get along. They have the Dan & Scooter show. that they don't support.
local joker

Crossville, TN

#16 Jul 31, 2009
dunham needs the indians- he's asking for other indians to get on board and that looks like to me he needs them to get people to attend his reunion.
if he treated every one nice than he would have kept the people he had.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crossville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pregnancy center 31 min Yasss 7
Places You Don't Want to Work (Jul '12) 47 min former employee 80
p!llheads at gas stations and parkinglots. (May '15) 58 min Glader 43
Methheads 1 hr Glader 3
Druggiest part of town 1 hr Glader 6
AT & T wireless phone coverage in Lake Tansi (Oct '12) 1 hr DeadPhone 4
Ashton Place Apts (Jan '15) 1 hr Fact 15
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crossville Mortgages