Whitaker Park
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gram Gram

Watertown, NY

#1 Apr 30, 2010
Apparently they will be charging for camping this year. Not as much as State Parks certainly, but maybe enough to keep some of the problem people out! Any thoughts?
camper

United States

#2 Apr 30, 2010
Gram Gram wrote:
Apparently they will be charging for camping this year. Not as much as State Parks certainly, but maybe enough to keep some of the problem people out! Any thoughts?
I thought the man who left it to Martinsburg said it had to always stay free? There is never supposed to be any charge, only donations. Where did you hear this anyway? I haven't heard anything about it.
ABCD

United States

#3 Apr 30, 2010
If it starts charging I wont ever stay again!
Yogi Bear

Auburn, NY

#4 May 1, 2010
Yup they are going to charge a fee to camp, per night, different prices for tents and campers. The number of tents, and vehicles allowed at each camp site will be limited. You must sign the registry and follow other rules or you will be removed from the campground. There have been way too many problems at the campground and it is about time to weed out the problems. At least now people will be able to camp in peace. I won't mind paying the $5 or $10. The last few summers the buildings were being broken into, items stolen from the buildings,campers reporting items being stolen,noise complaints, underaged drinking, homeless people, atvs driving around all night, people doing loser laps through the campground late at night, and huge parties late at night disturbing half the park. If you want to have a party have it in your own backyard or go to a bar. The park is a small place, and camping is supposed to be quiet, you should not get the feeling that you are in the middle of a city.
ghij

Saint Johnsville, NY

#5 May 1, 2010
that's right
camper

United States

#6 May 2, 2010
Yogi Bear wrote:
Yup they are going to charge a fee to camp, per night, different prices for tents and campers. The number of tents, and vehicles allowed at each camp site will be limited. You must sign the registry and follow other rules or you will be removed from the campground. There have been way too many problems at the campground and it is about time to weed out the problems. At least now people will be able to camp in peace. I won't mind paying the $5 or $10. The last few summers the buildings were being broken into, items stolen from the buildings,campers reporting items being stolen,noise complaints, underaged drinking, homeless people, atvs driving around all night, people doing loser laps through the campground late at night, and huge parties late at night disturbing half the park. If you want to have a party have it in your own backyard or go to a bar. The park is a small place, and camping is supposed to be quiet, you should not get the feeling that you are in the middle of a city.
Again, where are you getting your information? You come on here saying things that have been said for years, but you do not say how you know all of it. You are a pretty sad and boring person. Camping is not supposed to be quiet! Its supposed to be a good time. Sitting around a fire, drinking a few beers, talking with friends and family. I would really hate to camp quietly. Most people that go there that have the ATVs follow the rules about riding them in the park. If there is underage drinking, well that is something that happens in pretty much any camping place anywhere. Same with parties. If there were loud parties, calling the police is always an option, and they WILL come take care of it. As for the homeless people living there, do you realize that over the past few years, if someone, be it a single person or a family with small children, has gone to DSS to get help with somewhere to live, and it is camping season, they are TOLD to stay at Whitakers. That is where our lovely Department of Social Services, who is supposed to HELP people who need it, tells people to LIVE.
weasel

United States

#7 May 2, 2010
First of all, I don't think that it's people that are having a few beers and talking around a campfire that is cause for complaint. However, blasting your car stereo with super-bass and screaming and hollering around some dangerously huge bonfire until 3-4 in the morning is cause for complaint. I'm not saying you do it, but it does happen and I have witnessed it first hand. Camping is supposed to be fun, but trying to get children to sleep when people are being inconsiderate, selfish assholes, is in no way a good time. If certain douche bags could observe the well posted quiet time, maybe the park would not have taken this step. The people that really lose out are the homeless. DSS does tell people to camp there. If you are homeless, chances are five bucks a day is too much. There are homeless people in Lewis County. It is a problem. Where are these unfortunate people supposed to go now? The lack of compassion of some posters is disgusting. Hopefully, kharma catches up with you all.
camper wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, where are you getting your information? You come on here saying things that have been said for years, but you do not say how you know all of it. You are a pretty sad and boring person. Camping is not supposed to be quiet! Its supposed to be a good time. Sitting around a fire, drinking a few beers, talking with friends and family. I would really hate to camp quietly. Most people that go there that have the ATVs follow the rules about riding them in the park. If there is underage drinking, well that is something that happens in pretty much any camping place anywhere. Same with parties. If there were loud parties, calling the police is always an option, and they WILL come take care of it. As for the homeless people living there, do you realize that over the past few years, if someone, be it a single person or a family with small children, has gone to DSS to get help with somewhere to live, and it is camping season, they are TOLD to stay at Whitakers. That is where our lovely Department of Social Services, who is supposed to HELP people who need it, tells people to LIVE.
ha ha

United States

#8 May 2, 2010
thank weasal...this thread started last year about the homeless in lewis cty and staying at places like whitaker...people on here were very cruel. no body offered any solutions just wanted them gone, but guess what they sont want to be there either. call around and ask what rentals are around lowville. my sister just moved from charlotte NC and the prices here are about the same! It is hard to save up for rent deposits, utilities, etc etc,
wondering

Syracuse, NY

#9 May 2, 2010
Does anybody know when the Park opens this year?
opens

United States

#10 May 3, 2010
wondering wrote:
Does anybody know when the Park opens this year?
Opens Memorial Day weekend always....and I think it's great that they are finally charging a small fee.... get rid of some of the rif raf down there . They ask for donations down there , but people don't donate they just take advantage of the place because its free to camp. and the guy that takes care of it now (Burt) has done a WONDERFUL job ..keep it up !
Good job

Northville, NY

#11 May 3, 2010
If the "homeless" can spare money to buy beer, cigarettes, lottery tickets, cell phones, tattoos and a number of other items not considered necessary, then I for one, think they can afford to pay a fee to camp at a park. Puh-leeze....
mhm

United States

#12 May 3, 2010
Yogi Bear wrote:
let alone the filth and smell of urine coming from some of the sites.. something I've experienced in the past! It's such a beautiful, beautiful park it was sad to see it go like that. I hope this is all true!
mhm

United States

#13 May 3, 2010
weasel wrote:
First of all, I don't think that it's people that are having a few beers and talking around a campfire that is cause for complaint. However, blasting your car stereo with super-bass and screaming and hollering around some dangerously huge bonfire until 3-4 in the morning is cause for complaint. I'm not saying you do it, but it does happen and I have witnessed it first hand. Camping is supposed to be fun, but trying to get children to sleep when people are being inconsiderate, selfish assholes, is in no way a good time. If certain douche bags could observe the well posted quiet time, maybe the park would not have taken this step. The people that really lose out are the homeless. DSS does tell people to camp there. If you are homeless, chances are five bucks a day is too much. There are homeless people in Lewis County. It is a problem. Where are these unfortunate people supposed to go now? The lack of compassion of some posters is disgusting. Hopefully, kharma catches up with you all.
<quoted text>
If you're homeless you can still walk to the bathroom to use it, you can still use the garbage cans to dispose of your garbage.. It's sad that a few bad apples have to ruin it. It was a refuge for people coming on very, very hard times that most of us probably can't possibly begin to understand... but that beautiful park was being ruined. Charging to camp there will HOPEFULLY make people respect the park just a little more! And hopefully the rules will be inforced to keep it clean and family friendly.
Tell me

United States

#14 May 3, 2010
Where are all these homeless people living after the park closes and are they the same homeless people summer after summer?
Yogi Bear

Auburn, NY

#15 May 3, 2010
They live out of their cars, don't know where they go in the winter. There are only a 1 or 2 that I know of that stay there. It is basically a place for them to park at night without being bothered.
memooftwo

Buffalo, NY

#16 May 4, 2010
Does anyone know what they will be charging? We will be coming for a family reunion in late Jully and camping there. Thank you.
weasel

United States

#17 May 8, 2010
I've been camping at Whitaker for 20 years and i can tell you, from first hand experience, that it is not the homeless people trashing the park (as a general rule). It is the teenagers and others who party there and disrespect the park and it's rules. I agree that something needs to be done about it. However, it is now irresponsible and cruel for DSS to send people there. My suggestion is that the homeless find out the names of the powers that be at DSS, and camp out in their front lawns until policies change.
ha ha

United States

#18 May 8, 2010
as I said before, the rental prices here are way out of line, in the city you would get a neat little apt with a gym/pool security. here you get a single wide trailor for 550 per month. I asked a landlord with over 17 properties why that was and she said quote - I kept raising the rent higher to keep the lowlifes out and be damned if dss just didnt keep writing me bigger checks. So who you gonna blame?
Totally agree

United States

#19 May 8, 2010
Good job wrote:
If the "homeless" can spare money to buy beer, cigarettes, lottery tickets, cell phones, tattoos and a number of other items not considered necessary, then I for one, think they can afford to pay a fee to camp at a park. Puh-leeze....
There so poor thats why at 2 in the afternoon you see them sleeping in cars stoned out of their minds. Please give me a fricken break. You can afford drugs, cigareetes,booze, lotto tickets you can afford a fee for the park. I didn't even want to camp there anymore so much fricken rif raf. Hope they charge 10 dollars a night rif raf be gone.
check the law

Saint Johnsville, NY

#20 May 8, 2010
i looked up the law reguards to the park yes it was left to the town to always be a free park and if they are going to charge and change the amendment i would love to see it go back on the tax role. so please charge then with all that beutiful land the taxes generated from it would maybe lower my taxes. i figure its got to be worth 200000 - 250000 worth of buildings and land. taxes would be about 12000 or more so please charge so i can bring this to the comptrollers attention.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Croghan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Josh Ortlieb and Dawn Stanley 4 hr Unfortunate Kin 12
winter castle games pedo drug store 6 hr truth 8
Biker season losers think they own the road 10 hr Freakin 25
Mother of year at it again 17 hr From the other side 14
lyons falls farmers market - riverside park - t... 19 hr Work 5
Judy McAllister 20 hr Susan 2
Hot chic at mc da drive thru 2nd window who ask... Jun 28 Stud 23

Croghan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance