What a joke to be working at the mill in Croghan

Posted in the Croghan Forum

Had enough

Caroga Lake, NY

#1 Aug 10, 2009
What a joke to be working at the mill in Croghan. The place is ran by a few over paid, people who walk around all day with nothing to do but harrass the people on the floor with questions like "you got enough to do""how you doing today" with a big smile on their face. Well I can say we have more to do than the ones walking around working 40 hours a week asking us if we are busy. Funny they can cut the hours of the mill workers down 25% every week for about 1 and a half years straight but keep all the office workers working full time. What could they be doing besides walking around doing nothing...checking out newz junky, myspace, craigslist, msn, the weather, playing games, chating with friends on company time, working on home projects during company hours and getting away with it all because the one in charge doesn't seem to notice his people messing around. Maybe it's time for the mill to call in the union so we can make some money and have someone looking out for our best interest. Maybe then we can make some real money and get a raise every once and a while. Maybe it's time that the people in charge realize they aren't needed at all because the 2 mills can be run by one person not 3 or 4 and that would save the company a ton of money.
Whatever

Caroga Lake, NY

#2 Aug 10, 2009
You don't know everthing that is going on there.
want to know

Caroga Lake, NY

#3 Oct 5, 2009
i live in croghan and there is only one mill here so it must be beaveriteond last time iknew the people that work there owned it soat mill your talking about please the us wh
some one who cares

Long Lake, NY

#4 Oct 7, 2009
again what mill are you talking about
some one who cares

Long Lake, NY

#5 Oct 7, 2009
why won t you say what mill this is
me live in area

Newcomb, NY

#6 Oct 20, 2009
why in the hell won/t you say what mill this is
a reader

Newcomb, NY

#7 Oct 22, 2009
why wont you tell us what mill you are talking about after all there is only one mill in croghan and that mill is beaveriteand its a very nice mill last i knew
Disturbed emplyee

Caroga Lake, NY

#8 Dec 20, 2009
This is a bold statement to make about a company but I could not have written it better myself. I work there.
Silly

Caroga Lake, NY

#9 Dec 21, 2009
a reader wrote:
why wont you tell us what mill you are talking about after all there is only one mill in croghan and that mill is beaveriteand its a very nice mill last i knew
Well, if there is only one mill in Croghan and its Beaverite...then why do you keep asking what mill it is. And you must not work there if you think its a nice mill or place to work...not nice and the bosss suck. All they do is have meeting after meeting(*you know, one meeting to plan the next meeting, and one to talk about what they talked about and another to see if the first meeting went well and what they could change, another to talk about changes, another because some people just get up and walk out and leave for the day because they didn't like what there manager said about them, another to talk about why that person left and another to decide that they will not do anything about the person that left because who would want to have to tell someone that leaving isn't ok and if they want a job they should be doing it, another meeting to decide that they will hire someone new and one more to talk about reasons why anyone at the mill can't apply even if they qualify.) Its only gonna be a matter of time before people get smart enough to let corporate know the truth about beavertite and not what just what the top managers want them to think about the place. Its time for changes and it has to start with management, they are just a waste of money and if they want to make any money you would think corporate could see that and start making changes.
Overheard

Caroga Lake, NY

#10 Dec 21, 2009
Disturbed emplyee wrote:
This is a bold statement to make about a company but I could not have written it better myself. I work there.
I overheard 2 workers talking at nice and easy about how unfare it is that the mill is just minutes away from another mill and that they only make 1/2 the wages and don't have any bonus year after year. I'm from the other mill and I wouldn't work for less, you guys need to come together and call a union rep..we'll even give you the number. Stop complaining and do something about it.
Fair

Long Lake, NY

#11 Dec 21, 2009
Were not asking for much. Just a raise every year.
Our profit share back. We have a lot of sales going out the door every day. Were not asking for a lot! Our plant manager isnt going to help us get it!!!!!!!!!!
Union

Long Lake, NY

#12 Dec 21, 2009
You think the union would work with a small mill
like ours?
Sick and tired

Caroga Lake, NY

#13 Dec 21, 2009
Fair wrote:
Were not asking for much. Just a raise every year.
Our profit share back. We have a lot of sales going out the door every day. Were not asking for a lot! Our plant manager isnt going to help us get it!!!!!!!!!!
I think you hit the nail on the head, our plant manager only cares about himself and his salary people under him..until he doesn't need them anymore and then he'll make cuts again. Like we really need him on the payroll walking around all day, having hundreds of meetings and never doing anything to protect the real people that make that place run. So happy that he kept all those salaryd people working full time while the rest of us had to be cut down in hours because of no work. My question is, if there wasn't enough work to keep the hourly people working full time, what did those salaryd people do for 40 hours a week for more than a year? Yeah they mignt have lost 5% of there wages but they got to sit there for 25% of the week doing nothing while the rest of us had to collect unemployment how fare is that? What could they have been doing and did we need all of them, probably not. Someone should do a check on what websites they spend there time on, I'm sure most of there day is spent playing games or surfing the net or reading the news. They get mad when anyonee says something to them about this stuff but they know its true and just don't want to lose there jobs. Something better change or that place will not be around for much longer, not iwth current management.
Why not

Caroga Lake, NY

#14 Dec 21, 2009
Union wrote:
You think the union would work with a small mill
like ours?
Why wouldn't it, everyone already signed a letter saying that changes need to happen and he annouces that we are getting a 3% raise MAYBE, WOW, he sure went out of his way for us this time. He doesn't care, sure he didn't even let corporate know how unhappy his people are. At least if we call the union in, we would have someone on our side. Until we do, we are gonna continue to get less pay for more work, while the fat get fatter.
chad

Newcomb, NY

#15 Dec 27, 2009
been trying to think of some things to say to the few people at the mill who are stirring up some issues or problems between everyone and really just cant come up with any good or comforting words for these few individuals. i find it sad to know that things have come to this, all the finger pointing and blaming certain ones who have nothing to do with raises or how the mill is run. i am not going to say the mill does treat the people who work there fairly or the same as the sister mills, nor am i going to stick up for the way these few are going about how they would like to be heard or the blame they are laying on their co-workers who they used to call their friends. the people you work beside day in and day out are the ones you see more then any one else including your family and yet continue to stab people in the back. things are tough enough every day to come to work, we all know that so why cant we make the best of it with out all the drama and if the job really is that bad and the people around you mean so little then why stay. i know a few of you have had the chance to leave or take other jobs and yet you stay, some have even had other jobs and yet come back. i think you guys should pursue your quest for whatever it is you want at work but put your focus toward something that will make a difference instead of making it harder for everyone to come to work every day. dont forget that we too have suffered along the way and for a month we had 20% taken away and 5% for the remainder of the year, and never had any insentive plan because we had it taken away, and although yes you were on shared work your check was only somewhere around 20 dollars different. just do not understand the seperation between the salary and hourly, we all work side by side everyday, but i know there is a few who will never be able to just come get along and do their jobs without making trouble, too bad really. any way alot more could be said to retaliate and keep this going which really is pointless for the "Croghan Topix" and the readers because they do not know what really happens especially if it is always a one sided story being posted so unlike the cowards who wrote the other remarks and would not put their signature i will so maybe instead of cowarding behind the article they can talk face to face. one more thing to consider is the feelings of all employees hourly or salary in all this because no one should speak for everyone like it has been through this article, another reason for my sig because i speak alone and not for any other salary and their are some hourly not happy with the things being said by the people in this article.
What a joker

Granada Hills, CA

#16 Apr 1, 2011
Overheard wrote:
<quoted text>
I overheard 2 workers talking at nice and easy about how unfare it is that the mill is just minutes away from another mill and that they only make 1/2 the wages and don't have any bonus year after year. I'm from the other mill and I wouldn't work for less, you guys need to come together and call a union rep..we'll even give you the number. Stop complaining and do something about it.
AWWWWWW,Shucks Leroy, the ones complaining are probally the scab bastards that took everyones jobs when there was a labor strike back in the 80's..........I hope ya'll cook in your own f%^*&*$ crap!!
What a joker

Granada Hills, CA

#17 Jun 2, 2011
Union wrote:
You think the union would work with a small mill
like ours?
Well let me just fill you in!!!! There was a Union at one time, I believe the Papermakers. The owner of the company was a self made pig who would not give the employess a small raise..and I'm talking about 10-15 cents an hour. The Union goes on strike and they hire the finest pukes from the surrounding area. Hey listen!! I do not feel sorry for any of the bastards who cry now about the wages. They are the ones who took the Union members job!!! BOO FUCKING HOO
SWAMPDOG

Avery Island, LA

#18 Jun 2, 2011
i WAS RAISED IN CROGHAN AND YOU BUNCH OF DUMMIES ON TOPOIX MUST NOT BE AWARE THERE IS A MILL ON THE ISLAND THAT SPECIALIZES IN CUSTOM MILL WITH WOOD SO BEFORE YOU GO TO FAR IT IS A PRIVATE OWNED AND THEY COULD NOT FIND A UNION TO REPRESENT 10 PEOPLE IT HAS BEEN THERE MANY YEARS AND DOES GOOD WORK
just saying

AOL

#19 Jun 12, 2011
Sick and tired wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you hit the nail on the head, our plant manager only cares about himself and his salary people under him..until he doesn't need them anymore and then he'll make cuts again. Like we really need him on the payroll walking around all day, having hundreds of meetings and never doing anything to protect the real people that make that place run. So happy that he kept all those salaryd people working full time while the rest of us had to be cut down in hours because of no work. My question is, if there wasn't enough work to keep the hourly people working full time, what did those salaryd people do for 40 hours a week for more than a year? Yeah they mignt have lost 5% of there wages but they got to sit there for 25% of the week doing nothing while the rest of us had to collect unemployment how fare is that? What could they have been doing and did we need all of them, probably not. Someone should do a check on what websites they spend there time on, I'm sure most of there day is spent playing games or surfing the net or reading the news. They get mad when anyonee says something to them about this stuff but they know its true and just don't want to lose there jobs. Something better change or that place will not be around for much longer, not iwth current management.
Had you learned correct spelling etc. you might be in management, and would have to be putting up with the likes of you, who thinks mangement is all fun and games. Crap rolls down hill and it hit's them before it hits you, so think about that. As far as demanding goes, keep it up and the company will move to another country. w/o so much as waving bye-bye.....
cmon

Rochester, NY

#20 Feb 17, 2012
Beaverite had a union, had a strike, and the workers lost everything. Be happy you have work... or get out of the way for somebody else..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Croghan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
drug pushers 57 min Just wondering 12
Lewis County man charged with sexually abusing ... 1 hr small 6
Copenhagen Fire Dept Rules 4 hr newspaper 14
Thank You For the Damage!!! 4 hr Catfight 11
Lowville Fire Department has safety concerns wi... 6 hr chez 4
Lowville man charged with assault in connection... 10 hr Bob 8
Nic Tripp 12 hr blah 6
Croghan Dating
Find my Match

Croghan Jobs

Croghan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Croghan News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Croghan

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]