Lewis legislators get scary look at b...

Lewis legislators get scary look at budget

There are 41 comments on the Watertown Daily Times story from Oct 13, 2010, titled Lewis legislators get scary look at budget. In it, Watertown Daily Times reports that:

Lewis County's manager on Tuesday gave legislators an early Halloween scare by showing them potential budget figures based primarily on departmental requests.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watertown Daily Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Another View

Lake Placid, NY

#1 Oct 13, 2010
I am a rarity. I have a private sector job. That is the goose that is laying the golden eggs. You know what? That goose is damn near dead. Those who have do-nothing, public sector, welfarish jobs keep demanding more and more at the expense of the private sector. Everybody in the schools is unionized....even bus drivers, cafeteria workers, and janitors. Everybody at the hospital is unionized. The cops are unionized. County workers, state workers and town workers are unionized. Who are they all unionized against? Me....and people like me who believe in the private sector. Maybe you are in the private sector camp too. Public sector workers ( I use that term loosely), work for schools, municipalities, etc.....that have taxing authority. They just keep sticking their hand in everybody's pocket to get their raise, their pension, and their health care. They don't seem to give a damn about those who have lost a job or had a cut in hours. It doesn't matter to them that others don't have the benefits they enjoy. They just want theirs. No wonder the county budget increase looms large! Eventually, the private sector jobs will dry up. The goose will be dead. Then the ba$tards will probably want to eat it! After all, pigs will eat almost anything.
woody

Cassville, NY

#2 Oct 15, 2010
Well said.
Oh yea unions suck also.
Kranky old Coot

United States

#3 Oct 15, 2010
Sorry but I do have to chime in here. I and my wife both work for a school here in Lewis County and she nor I have a chance to join a union. You have no idea what some people are macking in and around you. We right now are in fear of our electric and gas to be turned off cause they have not been paid in 2 months. We have dust build up in the food cubards. Everything is going up. The cost of auto fuel as well as insurance both auto and household. Did you know what the cost of living expense was last year? I don't...but bet it has increased...not in my salery. We both would like a 4% raise this next year, but that is just not going to happen. No money helping me or my family from those f_in dam windmills. What I am saying is that there are a bunch of people working in the school systems that are grosly underpaid. There is a web sight that does publish all state workers and teachers and school administrators salery. Try this link and see what your neighbor and town employees are being paid.
http://www.tax.state.ny.us/
Get it

Syracuse, NY

#4 Oct 15, 2010
This is Pendergast proganda. He wants to make the department heads in the county look bad. He tells them to do the budget for there department. Of course they will request what is needed. Then he goes in and says look if we do all this 45% increase. This happens with all budgets but Mr. Manager decides to throw the dh's under the bus. And god help any that make any comments. They have all been gaged. Rumor has it a couple have already choked on the rag.
noody

United States

#5 Oct 15, 2010
yeah woody, unions suck- unless it's when they're delivering county taxpayer provided material, to build your county taxpayer provided, socialized ATV trail- hypocrite woody.
noody

United States

#6 Oct 15, 2010
hey "Another"- get off your chickensh!t azz and get organized for yourself instead of throwing stones at everybody else. form a union and defend yourself, stop voting for Republicans, and stop trying to look up Sarah Palin's dress.
Another View

Lake Placid, NY

#7 Oct 17, 2010
noody wrote:
hey "Another"- get off your chickensh!t azz and get organized for yourself instead of throwing stones at everybody else. form a union and defend yourself, stop voting for Republicans, and stop trying to look up Sarah Palin's dress.
Hey moron, I earn what I'm paid. I don't want some damn union twisting somebody's arm to give me things I don't earn. I'll leave that to lazy welfare job types such as you. You're probably one of those State workers whose specialty is leaning on a shovel. Whose dress are you lookin up.....is it Madeline Albright? Thought so!
former student

Skaneateles, NY

#8 Oct 18, 2010
It's amazing that Republicans and Big Business have managed to join forces and turn worker against worker in this country. If not for unions none of us in the middle class would have anything. We need more unions not less. Wake up American workers. All the anti-union rhetoric empowers business to abuse its workers and keep wages low. The middle class is shrinking rapidly as the richest keep taking and taking. Stop beng jealous of one another. EVERY worker should have the benefits unions have fought for. Start unionizing and make politicians stop being in bed with business. Make it totally unprofitable to send jobs overseas. There's nothing that American workers can't do or be trained to do. Stop exporting jobs and importing foreign workers to take our jobs.
ODB

Syracuse, NY

#9 Oct 18, 2010
Why should it be made unprofitable for someone to send their jobs overseas? Why not make it more profitable for them to keep their jobs in the US?
former student

Skaneateles, NY

#10 Oct 18, 2010
ODB, American business is sending American jobs that often pay a barely livable wage and send it overseas where workers, often very young, are paid hardly anything. They can be making large profits here if you can ship off the jobs and make more.
Another View

Lake Placid, NY

#11 Oct 18, 2010
Get your heads out of your rear ends. Unions are one of the biggest reasons that jobs are leaving this country. Unions demand unreasonable things that cause companies to decide to manufacture elsewhere. People need to learn to stand on their own two feet instead of unionizing in an attempt to force and coerce someone into giving them what they want. When those demands get excessive, business goes elsewhere....and jobs go with the business.
ODB

United States

#12 Oct 18, 2010
former student wrote:
ODB, American business is sending American jobs that often pay a barely livable wage and send it overseas where workers, often very young, are paid hardly anything. They can be making large profits here if you can ship off the jobs and make more.
I have a yard to rake. My neighbor's kid is willing to rake it for $5. However, you think I should make that a union job, and I should have to pay $30 for your friend to rake it... because that's a living wage.

In your scenario, I'll should have to pay $26 to the government to help support your friend who wouldn't didn't get the job if I want to hire my neighbor's kid.
wrong

Boonville, NY

#13 Oct 18, 2010
the money doesn't go to the government- it goes into the pockets of working families and they in turn buy products- that in turn stimulates the economy. ODB- your idea promotes perpetual poverty. when the unions were the strongest, this country was most prosperous.
business has gone elsewhere not because of unions, but because of corporate greed.
Jobs

Syracuse, NY

#14 Oct 19, 2010
ODB you do not get it. The corporate monkeys forced jobs overseas. Because of lower wages, degregation to the environment, and unsafe work places. Then they bring products back and wonder why no one buys them. NO money. And then they have to take a low paying job. MY guess is your work in the public sector and rely on the private sector. Watch what is gonna happen in the arena in the near future, or watch what is already happeining.
amazed

United States

#15 Oct 19, 2010
wrong wrote:
the money doesn't go to the government- it goes into the pockets of working families and they in turn buy products- that in turn stimulates the economy. ODB- your idea promotes perpetual poverty. when the unions were the strongest, this country was most prosperous.
business has gone elsewhere not because of unions, but because of corporate greed.
Wrong....you are wrong! Unions don't put the money into the pockets that really need it....it puts the money into the pockets of Union leaders and the corporation CEOs that "run" the unions.

Unions have been and will be corrupt and useless until they are stripped down and rebuilt. And its not just manufacutring or business unions that are ineffective. Look at all the taxpayer money wasted within the NYS Teacher's Union. Teachers that aren't worth their salaries, but can't be terminated. Teachers that are put into rubber rooms, because they can't be terminated. Mandates and standards that are developed and handed down by their own, yes the Teacher's Union...talk about self-perpetuating and a waste of money.

Face it...the Golden Goose is injured and dying....there aren't going to be enough private sector businesses and money to support any of us....my pockets are about empty!

po
ODB

Syracuse, NY

#16 Oct 19, 2010
wrong wrote:
the money doesn't go to the government- it goes into the pockets of working families and they in turn buy products- that in turn stimulates the economy. ODB- your idea promotes perpetual poverty. when the unions were the strongest, this country was most prosperous.
business has gone elsewhere not because of unions, but because of corporate greed.
You make greed sound evil. In actuality, without greed, their would be little motivation for advancement. With the absence of greed you get a society that does just enough to get by.

Scenario: I've developed a product that is simple to assemble, is highly demanded by the market to a certain price point, and I'm the sole owner of the technology's patent.
The general consuming population in the US is willing to spend $25 to purchase my item.
A) I can have it made in China for $5 shipped to the US and on the shelves of Walmart for $24.99 creating wealth for myself and my share holders.
B) I can have it made in the US for $25 and on the shelves of Walmart for $35 making less profit for myself and my shareholders.
Explain to me how option one is better for the global economy. You've increased the cost of my product to the end consumer, decreased my profit and that of my share holders, and decreased the overall number of consumers that have the ability to secure the benefits of my product.

You're under the belief that somehow as Americans we're entitled to a better way of life than everyone else in the world. Your desire to artificially keep wealth in the US is no different than the wealthy looking for ways to artificially keep their wealth to themselves... in a sense, you're driven by the same greed you despise.

Why shouldn't those that create wealth be able to keep as much of it as they desire? Why are you entitled to stick your hand in their pockets to fill yours so that you can live better than someone in Mexico, China, Singapore, etc who's willing to do the same work as you at a fraction of the cost?
noody

Boonville, NY

#17 Oct 19, 2010
yeah, greed is great. the Ethan Allen plant in Boonville closed because they are doing the same thing in China.
for years the company scared the employees out of forming a union.
you can't blame this on the unions-corporate greed pure and simple and hundreds of local families hurting.
are Americans "entitled"- not saying that- but workers here should be treated family and within our borders that is what we should do.
former student

Skaneateles, NY

#18 Oct 19, 2010
ODB:

You can't compare U.S. manufacturing with Mexico, China and Singapore. It's not a level playing field. China keeps its currency artificially low, abuses their workers and uses the wealth created to build the worlds largest military. It's time that American business became patriotic to the American men and women who sacrificed to make them what they are. Yes, we are entitled to a better way of life than countries that abuse their people and the enviroment if the name of greed. There is nothing wrong with companies making a profit but not to the point where it qualifies as greed.
ODB

Syracuse, NY

#19 Oct 19, 2010
former student wrote:
ODB:
You can't compare U.S. manufacturing with Mexico, China and Singapore. It's not a level playing field. China keeps its currency artificially low, abuses their workers and uses the wealth created to build the worlds largest military. It's time that American business became patriotic to the American men and women who sacrificed to make them what they are. Yes, we are entitled to a better way of life than countries that abuse their people and the enviroment if the name of greed. There is nothing wrong with companies making a profit but not to the point where it qualifies as greed.
It's not a level playing field, because man has decided to set artificial limits in both directions. Dictators can keep their currency artificially low, but to say we aren't guilty of keeping ours artificially high is laughable too.

Why aren't the Mexican peasants entitled to the same standard of living that we as Americans are?.. merely by the fact that they were born on one side of of a line drawn on paper by men? If you're of the opinion that OUR way of life is so much better than their's, why don't we force our way of life on them? You have no problem forcing your perceptions on others within our boundaries, why stop there.

What limit do you consider to be too much profit? Why stop with a minimum wage law? Lets add a maximum wage too. Why should you be allowed to take home any more money than what is absolutely necessary to to maintain your percieved standard of living. All the rest of your money should be redistributed to others both inside and outside of our borders that fail to meet your minimum standard.?.. afterall that would be the Patriotic thing to do.

You have decided to set the boundary of who's acceptable to be greed at the national level, because we our better then them. I've set the level of acceptable greed at a personal level, because I am better than them.
ODB

Syracuse, NY

#20 Oct 19, 2010


Governor Christie of New Jersey discusses how the state's teacher union.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Croghan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ridge view 21 min chicken parm 2
Donald Trump (Jan '17) 15 hr Harry Bush 76
News Lewis Sheriffa s Department, Lowville PD quietl... 18 hr narc101 12
News Croghan man accused of stealing items from conv... Tue Is he your drug d... 1
Wind towers Tue BRIAN 8
Wayne mahayli ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Justsaying 1
News Gouverneur man charged with DWI in Croghan (Sep '16) Sep '16 Doug 6

Croghan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Croghan Mortgages