First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned Parent

New York, NY

#1 Jan 31, 2013
Shame on you Mrs. Steckly for putting our children's lives in danger by not closing LACS earlier in the day. It is 4:40pm and some of our children are still out on the buses. Buses are having to pull over and stop because they cannot see anything in this blizzard. One bus was almost rear ended on Tug Hill because of the conditions. Our kids lives are at stake this very moment, but you did get your state aide for the day. Congratulations.
You dont know jack

New York, NY

#2 Jan 31, 2013
Agreed! They are lucky my children made it home safely or there would have been he!! to pay! They arent the only school that stayed open but they can shove their money up their a$$! Any other day they would have closed, but not today when the weather was at its WORST! When someone's child ends up injured or killed, that state aid won't help them too much! 177 is closing I believe and some kids are still not home. Il bet she is already home safe and sound though ;)
awful

Pulaski, NY

#3 Jan 31, 2013
Concerned Parent wrote:
Shame on you Mrs. Steckly for putting our children's lives in danger by not closing LACS earlier in the day. It is 4:40pm and some of our children are still out on the buses. Buses are having to pull over and stop because they cannot see anything in this blizzard. One bus was almost rear ended on Tug Hill because of the conditions. Our kids lives are at stake this very moment, but you did get your state aide for the day. Congratulations.
wish she had to go for a ride on the hill in this weather!!
unreal

New York, NY

#4 Jan 31, 2013
they kept the kids in school so they could get there money. dumb rednecks...
works

Carthage, NY

#5 Jan 31, 2013
Bybthe time they knew conditions tyhey may have been waiting for plows to go out and plow and salt. Try and get roads clear for them. I do not not know why they didn't but it wasn't my call.
unreal

New York, NY

#6 Jan 31, 2013
beaver river is no better than lowville, both schools need there ass in trouble for this stunt.
curious

New York, NY

#7 Jan 31, 2013
what were they even thinking?
Terrible

New York, NY

#8 Jan 31, 2013
Poor kids. I bet they were scared to death, not to mention the parents. Our children's safety should be a top priority. The school knew this storm was coming and that the Tug was going to be extremely treacherous. My hat goes off to the bus drivers. They have a huge responsibility making sure our kids get home safely, even when the school officials don't seem to take it seriously.
nanna

Sandy Creek, NY

#9 Jan 31, 2013
thats what happens when you have the Egotistical moron running the bus garage,,he doesn't give jack squat for the lives of the students or the drivers
his behind should be on the line and his job as well!
concerned too

Johnstown, NY

#10 Jan 31, 2013
I don't have school age children anymore but was worried about the kids who have to cross the highway in the white out conditions we had today, and numerous trucks that couldn't make the hills. Cops were busy and so were dispatchers especially on 177, north state street and 812 to Bostwick. They didn't have to keep the kids the whole day. Only one class I believe after lunch and it's considered a full day. they would still get their aid. Apparantly the Big Wigs didn't know how to call it when the radio was saying the worst would be hitting in the afternoon. I can tell you from experience just on foggy days and sometimes clear days we've had cars run past the bus when kids had to cross the road. But in todays conditions, I hope they made decisions to bring those kids back home and let them off on their side of the road. Hope everyone made it home safely. Any time they have concern they should call the sheriff's department and get a road condition report. No Unnecesary travel means stay off the road unless it's an emergency. I think parents should be able to keep their kids home on days when a lake effect storm warning has been called. Keep them home and you know they are safe.
Shocked

New York, NY

#11 Jan 31, 2013
As parents we can no longer stand by and think that the school is going to make the best decisions regarding the safety of our children. If the County has issued a travel advisory then parents should make the decision to keep their kids safe at home. Will it be considered an illegal absence? Yes. Maybe that is what it will take to make the idiotic school administration, clueless school board, and whoever else makes these decisions finally wake up. Why put our kids at risk? We are at the point where someone is going to get killed. Seriously.
maggie

Lowville, NY

#12 Jan 31, 2013
Who cares if it is an "illegal absence"? An absence is an absence and your kids are more important. I also no longer have kids going to school, but was very concerned about the white out conditions, wind and treacherous roads. I cannot understand the rationality for not closing the school.
hummmmmm

Carthage, NY

#13 Jan 31, 2013
To the one posting mentioning bus drivers. Yes they are a special breed. They are out in weather most of us in 4 wheel drive would not be in, they watch after our loved ones, and they are highly skilled. My hats off to the men and wemon who do this for a living for little componsation. Trust me they do not make that much money. They deserve better,
Mad Mommy

New York, NY

#14 Jan 31, 2013
Mad about this too! The conditions today were hazardous all day, and they knew this storm was coming this afternoon. Other schools dismissed early, got students & teachers home before the worst hit from 2:30 to dark!! Blizzard conditions in the village! The hill & outside area's were worse! I hope all the kids got home safely like ours did. Superintendent has some explaining to do on this one! Especially after those mornings of -20 temps & no delays! And this past Tuesday was bad too - again no early dismissal! I will consider keeping my kids home or getting them out of school myself the next time the weather is forecast to be bad.
seriously

Lowville, NY

#15 Feb 1, 2013
Yeah i heard a couple buses went off the road. There was no need for them not to close school or cancel it all together..I mean what is it going to take? I hope tomorrow if its nasty they cancel school..or people shouldn't even send their kids i wouldn't.
Grow up

Pulaski, NY

#16 Feb 1, 2013
You think their job is easy!! im sure if they Knew it was gonna be like that they would have closed!! I have trust in the school, if they didnt think it was safe to send em home, they would have kept them at the school till they thought it was ok!! You cant put 1 person down because of all this!! Its just making you all look stupid!! Especially because your hiding as your complaining!! If your that worried talk to the school!! dont whine about it on a topix page!! if they have school, my kids will be there!!
Psychic

New York, NY

#17 Feb 1, 2013
Grow up wrote:
You think their job is easy!! im sure if they Knew it was gonna be like that they would have closed!! I have trust in the school, if they didnt think it was safe to send em home, they would have kept them at the school till they thought it was ok!! You cant put 1 person down because of all this!! Its just making you all look stupid!! Especially because your hiding as your complaining!! If your that worried talk to the school!! dont whine about it on a topix page!! if they have school, my kids will be there!!
I was hired by an individual to identify this person,and hang on Im getting a vibe........ and all I can tell you is that this person is a very close friend or relative of the above mentioned,cant quite zero in on a name yet,but maybe next time if I have more time.hopefully I was helpful to you,thanks and you know how you can reach me again.
chris

New York, NY

#18 Feb 1, 2013
when my children were in children were still in school if the weather was gonna get bad durin the day my kids stayed home.
chris

New York, NY

#19 Feb 1, 2013
and they all graduated with their class.
Concerned As Well

New York, NY

#20 Feb 1, 2013
Not only was it dangerous for the buses, but it was extremely dangerous for our kids to be walking in that blizzard as well. With the wind blowing at gusts of over 45mph, there was a real possibility of falling limbs, trees, etc. Also, the visibility was zero even in the village. It was very difficult to see anything, and it would have been very easy for a car to hit a child. Wake up Mrs. Steckley. If you want to be the superintendent, then act like one and put our kids first!!! I know that many have voiced their opinions with the school with no results. Any forum (even Topix) that gets attention in this case is a good thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Croghan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lewis County man charged with sexually abusing ... 1 hr heart of god 11
Luke Racine 3 hr jhdhgfhubjdcbdshb 3
no life 22 hr Vic 10
music Wed Truth 2
We need a load of logs-20 cord Wed Firewood 2
child molester Wed Truth 2
Jobs coming in Utica with potential impact on L... Tue Thick Bodied Utican 46
Croghan Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web