Lewis officials propose to buy rail lines with state grant

Feb 7, 2012 Full story: Watertown Daily Times 16

Lewis County officials are proposing to use state grant funding to buy rail lines connecting Lowville with Croghan and West Carthage, with an eye toward development as recreational trails and a scenic railroad.

Read more
yep

Gloversville, NY

#1 Feb 7, 2012
So Mr. Bush says village leaders are against it, but all that matters is the legislators vote for it. What about the taxpayers and land owners. These legislators are so full of bologna, they could care less what the county population thinks, Just the few on the Board of Legislators. Time for you all to leave. No guarantee it will not cost any taxpayer money. Where do you think the grant comes from?
redneck

Constableville, NY

#2 Feb 7, 2012
What a TOTAL WASTE OF TAXPAYER MONEY...what for another senic railroad? who do they think will come? with gas arround $4.00 a gallon, will they come from other areas to see this? dont think so..I think the Jack era has ended,,,just ask the supreme court judge or mr. Krug...keep lewis county honest
bubba

Rome, NY

#4 Feb 7, 2012
Way to go Bruce.http://www.watertowndail ytimes.com/section/blogs10
bubba

Rome, NY

#5 Feb 7, 2012
billy

Potsdam, NY

#6 Feb 7, 2012
The tracks aren't in good shape many rotted ties, areas overgrown with brush. The tracks are paved over on many roads. Sounds like a waste of money to get them back to working order, not enough tourism during summer to pay it off anyways. But the railroad museum thinks its a great idea. Tearing up the tracks for scrap metal and putting in snowmobile trails would be a great idea and keep snowmobiles off the roads.
haha

Caroga Lake, NY

#7 Feb 7, 2012
will put snowmobiles on more roads as they never stay where they're supposed to be. will be on private property along the rail lines, too.
yep

Gloversville, NY

#8 Feb 7, 2012
Well I disagree with them using the scenic rail line with snowmobile and atv trails along the side of it. Many rails have already been removed. How are snowmobile and atv's going to be on the side where the long tressle is in Dadville? You can't tell us that this will not cost any money from the taxpayers. I would like to hear how the meeting went. They are trying to sneak this through and I Hope it fails again.Time to start new with fresh minds that can build on our economy without depending on seasonal recreation.
Rex

Gloversville, NY

#9 Feb 8, 2012
Most trails seem to wander throught the terrain of the north country. If these rail lines are opened to ATV and snowmobile traffic, these long straight trails will enhance the desire to run at unsafe speeds and we all know what that will bring with it. More accidents, more enforcement, more maintenance to make it safer which will bring a continuing cost for the tax payers.
Screwee

Constableville, NY

#10 Feb 8, 2012
Taxpayers are being screw again! Mr. Cole is correct, many unseen cost and taxes must be reduced and not increased. More homework by our legislators is needed. I forgot they think they have an open pocketbook.
bubba

Rome, NY

#11 Feb 8, 2012
GO BRUCE GO. Just cause your a Democrat the pubs hate you, even though you fight for the right things and try to make the board toe the line.
Citizen

Constableville, NY

#12 Feb 8, 2012
Someone must stop the spending by our legislators. Price of fuel going up. Gas is going up. Income taxes are going up. Food is going up. Fiuneral expenses going up. One can not even afford to die. Recreation is not needed now. Fix the roads, Fix our law enforcement. The people don't want this type of spending. Stop the spending and reduce our taxes.
RR Fan

Constableville, NY

#13 Feb 10, 2012
It will never be a recreation trail. Has anyone even reviewed the original documents? My grandfather told me all about it. You will be very surprise. Iíll bring them forward once the County approves the transaction. I'll let everyone of the legislators make a fool of themselves. What a laugh everyone will have on Mr. Graham. He is the attorney in charge. Wouldn't you think someone would have thought of that?
yes

Gloversville, NY

#14 Feb 10, 2012
RR Fan wrote:
It will never be a recreation trail. Has anyone even reviewed the original documents? My grandfather told me all about it. You will be very surprise. Iíll bring them forward once the County approves the transaction. I'll let everyone of the legislators make a fool of themselves. What a laugh everyone will have on Mr. Graham. He is the attorney in charge. Wouldn't you think someone would have thought of that?
Please bring them forward before these morons purchase this railroad with taxpayer money. Who wants a dead horse?
I AGREE

Constableville, NY

#15 Feb 11, 2012
the people in lewis county should vote after all it is our tax money that they want to use.put it in the next election.
Louie Lewis

Constableville, NY

#16 Feb 11, 2012
yes wrote:
<quoted text>Please bring them forward before these morons purchase this railroad with taxpayer money. Who wants a dead horse?
Mr. Graham, Mr. Bush and Mr. Graham need to have the hell embarrass out of them. This so clear you wouldn't believe it. How they missed a simple fact is unbelievable, especially Mr. Bush, the Chairman of the IDA. It will be a long-term savings to in eliminating the poor judgments being made today.
Tayxpayer

Wells, NY

#17 Feb 16, 2012
Mr Graham is not worth the near $100k he is paid. Mr Bush is unethical and only cares about himself. They do this all the time- make decisions that are not in compliance with the law, and expect to get away with it, or they ignore things and hope they will go away-like not responding to Mr. Krug. More people like Mr. Krug need to call the County legislators on their actions, and we the taxpayers need to support these people coming forward as being legitimate complaintants.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Croghan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Town Clerk 7 hr read 6
Sled drags - part 3 7 hr immature 7
turin councilwoman denied access 8 hr Spotlight 1
News Lowville man accused of striking bartender with... 14 hr chubby 13
Councilwoman sues Turin Council 19 hr yuppers 313
Prices of food in croghan Fri Horsehocky 12
News Lewis County Industrial Development Agency appr... Mar 13 whocares 1
Croghan Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web