just saying

New York, NY

#42 Feb 26, 2013
People who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glass
Historylover

New York, NY

#43 Feb 28, 2013
ha ha wrote:
I had the same questions...thought it would be fun field trip for the kids..I called whitaker state park, the young lady who answered the phone said it was just a sign, there is nothing to go see the cave is not there anymore? I tried googling it got no info.. a little dissapionting
http://www.adirondackstughill. com/history_underground_railro ad.php ..........Here is what I found when I googled Houghs Cave.
He he

Gloversville, NY

#44 Feb 28, 2013
I heard theirs some in Copenhagen. Watertown is full of em
molon labe

Gloversville, NY

#45 Mar 1, 2013
nice lady wrote:
<quoted text>I've also heard stories of there being an underground tunnel in the home Dr Reed owns on State st. Never knew if it was true, but my father and others say that about four miles out of Lowville on RT 26 the hollow was called "n****r hollow because the slaves would come through there and at night you could hear them moaning and hollering in pain. I have no facts to base this on, just what people around there have said. And please don't get offended by what I am referring too. I am not prejudice in any way. I hope someone can get more information on this. It would be interesting.
That's true about n****r hollow. It's just south of the Arthur Rd. on rte. 26. My dad has some old topo maps of the area, and the creek running through that cut is " N****r Creek on the map.
My grandmother, who passed away in the mid '80's, said there was a tunnel on the west side of rte. 26 from n****r hollow to the next cut north. About 500 yards. She said that a tractor caved that tunnel in, in the '50's.
PS not being predudice at all. It's just what we called the hollow.
CNY Caver

Lowville, NY

#46 Aug 12, 2014
Houghs cave has been found and explored this summer, the Martinsburg Historical society was on site at the time. The land is owned by the Jantzis. I do not for see it really being open to the public as it is 500' of army crawling with just your head above water and it is very cold water(in August). The cave however is very wide (10'-15'). Due to the landowners filling the sinkholes in with rocks and dirt and the farming over the last 150 years the cave has silted in, I believe the accounts of a boat being inside could defiantly be true. It is quite a nasty smelling cave as well, due to the fertilizing of the corn field above. Do not attempt to locate the entrance unless you obtain permission from the landowner. A wetsuit is required as well!.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Croghan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wind towers 22 min Union worker 1
Wayne mahayli ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Justsaying 1
News Gouverneur man charged with DWI in Croghan (Sep '16) Sep '16 Doug 6
problem (Sep '15) Sep '16 no one knows 4
Chats (Jul '16) Sep '16 just saying 2
barry briot (Jan '13) Aug '16 Justsaying 10
Name (Aug '16) Aug '16 Need to find her 1

Croghan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance