First Prev
of 3
Next Last
LOCAL YOKEL

United States

#1 Aug 22, 2009
Anybody know about hough's cave,demko farm,mairtinsburg?? How big a cave? How deep? Who filled it in? State put up a historical sign?? Was it a slave substation?
ha ha

United States

#2 Aug 23, 2009
I had the same questions...thought it would be fun field trip for the kids..I called whitaker state park, the young lady who answered the phone said it was just a sign, there is nothing to go see the cave is not there anymore? I tried googling it got no info.. a little dissapionting
Bigger Bitch Then U

United States

#3 Aug 23, 2009
sounds disapointing i didnt know there was a cave around there I knew there was a cave somewhere around here I hear its really nice and you can catch alot of fish.
Martin

United States

#4 Aug 23, 2009
It is my recollection that it had something to do with moving the slaves. Contact the Lewis County Historical Society, I'm sure they could give more information.

Since: Jan 09

AOL

#5 Aug 23, 2009
Martin wrote:
It is my recollection that it had something to do with moving the slaves. Contact the Lewis County Historical Society, I'm sure they could give more information.
I've also heard stories of there being an underground tunnel in the home Dr Reed owns on State st. Never knew if it was true, but my father and others say that about four miles out of Lowville on RT 26 the hollow was called "n****r hollow because the slaves would come through there and at night you could hear them moaning and hollering in pain. I have no facts to base this on, just what people around there have said. And please don't get offended by what I am referring too. I am not prejudice in any way. I hope someone can get more information on this. It would be interesting.
simon

Holley, NY

#6 Aug 23, 2009
nice lady wrote:
<quoted text>I've also heard stories of there being an underground tunnel in the home Dr Reed owns on State st. Never knew if it was true, but my father and others say that about four miles out of Lowville on RT 26 the hollow was called "n****r hollow because the slaves would come through there and at night you could hear them moaning and hollering in pain. I have no facts to base this on, just what people around there have said. And please don't get offended by what I am referring too. I am not prejudice in any way. I hope someone can get more information on this. It would be interesting.
you are right some of my family own a farm near by
ha ha

United States

#7 Aug 23, 2009
There was a local women who wrote a book about dr reeds house..targeted at young adult level. I remember reading it, it was called the "voice in the well." I think the true part was there was a room in the celler of this house, that was somehow connected to the well, you could communicaate back and forth. I thought it was someone used with the undergound railroad, but not sure, dont know anything about the rt 26 stories. my grandma was town historian, this county has a lot of neat history.

Since: Jan 09

AOL

#8 Aug 23, 2009
ha ha wrote:
There was a local women who wrote a book about dr reeds house..targeted at young adult level. I remember reading it, it was called the "voice in the well." I think the true part was there was a room in the celler of this house, that was somehow connected to the well, you could communicaate back and forth. I thought it was someone used with the undergound railroad, but not sure, dont know anything about the rt 26 stories. my grandma was town historian, this county has a lot of neat history.
I was pretty sure too that dr reed's house was part of the underground railroad to get the slaves up north thus would be correct with the hollow on rt 26. I would like to see that book. Might check out amazon.

Since: Jan 09

AOL

#9 Aug 23, 2009
Does anyone know the name of the caverns in Natural Bridge? You used to be able to go on a boat tour or something up there, but I can't remember the name of them.
simon

Holley, NY

#10 Aug 23, 2009
nice lady wrote:
<quoted text>I was pretty sure too that dr reed's house was part of the underground railroad to get the slaves up north thus would be correct with the hollow on rt 26. I would like to see that book. Might check out amazon.
the old saying a ni''' in the wood pile slaves where often kept there . small rooms were made they with food an water
ha ha

United States

#11 Aug 23, 2009
Irene Bowen is the author of the book about Dr. Reeds house...she still lives in Lowville

Since: Jan 09

AOL

#12 Aug 23, 2009
ha ha wrote:
Irene Bowen is the author of the book about Dr. Reeds house...she still lives in Lowville
OH thank you so much. I know her, I grew up just a few houses from her and have known her for years. I will check it out.
Martin

United States

#13 Aug 23, 2009
According to Stagecoach Country, a local history book, it is believed that there was a secret passage that connected Dr. Reeds house and the house previously owned by Perry Hushagen used as a hiding place for slaves.

Since: Jan 09

AOL

#14 Aug 23, 2009
I've heard of secret passages but never where they went, but that they were in DR Reed's house or yard. This is all so interesting to learn about the history of Lowville. I remember Mrs. Hushagen, she was my music teacher in the 6th grade. Nice lady. I don't even know if she's alive anymore and I believe the home has been sold several times.
ha ha

United States

#15 Aug 23, 2009
If I could afford it and fix it up..wouldnt it be great to open it to tours for kids and the public 2-3- times a year? the andersons who own Dr reeds mothers house have a wonderful xmas party every year it would be so cools to have carolors dressed in period costumes entertain with sleigh rides, we have a great little town here I tell ya. and that upstairs room at the lowvilee library feels just like the setting for diary of anne frank, great story telling potential....if I could just win the lottery!
ha ha

United States

#16 Aug 23, 2009
Martin wrote:
According to Stagecoach Country, a local history book, it is believed that there was a secret passage that connected Dr. Reeds house and the house previously owned by Perry Hushagen used as a hiding place for slaves.
so would this be they grey stone house to the right?
Feeling A Little Heart

United States

#17 Aug 23, 2009
Across from the school, yes.

So nice to ee people praising our community instead of bashing, I am very pleased. Thank youfor for enlihtening me. Yes we do have a quaint historic town.

Since: Jan 09

AOL

#18 Aug 23, 2009
I believe Hushagens house is the one they tore down to build village green apartments or the one that used to be the Lawyers office and is now the massage therapy with the garage in the back. I can't remember which one it was. But if it was tore down it used to sit back where village green apartments is and had a big stone porch with pillars on it. It was a beautiful home from the outside. So it's been gone awhile now, but Dr Reed's house would be great if the Historical Society would buy it and show it as a piece of history. So sad they tore down the first house in Lowville and now it sits an empty grown up lot.
Martin

United States

#19 Aug 24, 2009
Hushagen's house is still there and the limestone house in between Reeds and Hushagens was the shop of Calvin Lewis who manufactured hats. He built that house and Hushagens. Nice Lady, Mrs. Hushagen passed away several years ago.
Martinsburg

United States

#20 Aug 24, 2009
Martin wrote:
It is my recollection that it had something to do with moving the slaves. Contact the Lewis County Historical Society, I'm sure they could give more information.
The Greystone Manor was also part of the underground railroad , there are (were) caves from there in the basement also over to the stone house on Whitaker road.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Croghan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 Accused Of Smoking Pot With Teens (Dec '15) 7 hr sarah trash 24
Mayor Arrested 12 hr Wtf 8
News Port Leyden mayor wins through write-ins, tie v... 20 hr HollaBack 4
Biker season losers think they own the road (Apr '16) Fri Mustwearleather 40
Computer FBI Virus Fri Brother 1
Mayor Nov 30 Huh 1
Wayne mahayli ... Oct '16 Justsaying 1

Croghan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Croghan Mortgages