Rails to Trails voted down

Rails to Trails voted down

There are 32 comments on the Your News Now story from May 2, 2012, titled Rails to Trails voted down. In it, Your News Now reports that:

For years, a number of people in Lewis County have been looking to develop miles of old train-tracks into a tourist line, but Tuesday those plans came to a major halt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Your News Now.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jane

Ithaca, NY

#1 May 3, 2012
We all must thank my mother that goes by Gerald Beam. I can't tell you all why, but she was behind the King Pin backing down on his endeavor to obtain the railroad. I can tell you all with certainly that this legislator will not bring this up again.
OH my

Warrensburg, NY

#2 May 3, 2012
Another vote to keep Lewis County from progressing into the 21st century. BK wins another one. Keep the tourists OUT and the WELFARE flowing!
Dam

Massena, NY

#3 May 3, 2012
OH my wrote:
Another vote to keep Lewis County from progressing into the 21st century. BK wins another one. Keep the tourists OUT and the WELFARE flowing!
If u look on topics the majority of the people did not want the trails for many different reasons. But for once people got what they wanted.
well played wheelers

AOL

#4 May 3, 2012
The ATV's can buy the entire system outright now and there will be no legislative restaints as to access or other options since by federal law it must remain intact as a right of way forever.
Thanks "MOM"
McGriddle

Syracuse, NY

#5 May 3, 2012
I'll donate $100 to the cause of buying it just so we can have a proper racetrack through the county.
McGriddle

Syracuse, NY

#6 May 3, 2012
Dam wrote:
<quoted text>
If u look on topics the majority of the people did not want the trails for many different reasons. But for once people got what they wanted.
Correction: The majority of topix posters did not want the trails. I highly doubt that Topix really has it's thumb on the pulse of the masses. Perhaps those with nothing better to do during regular working hours (myself included), but not the county as a whole.
bubba

Rome, NY

#7 May 3, 2012
well played wheelers wrote:
The ATV's can buy the entire system outright now and there will be no legislative restaints as to access or other options since by federal law it must remain intact as a right of way forever.
Thanks "MOM"
got the future taxpayers off the hook
justme

Boonville, NY

#8 May 3, 2012
Stupid, backward logic. Way to go! Typical Lewis County. Welfare is all that's left.
Marge

Constableville, NY

#9 May 3, 2012
You people crack me up. when some one has an opinion that differs from your, your response is to call them Stupid? Wow! The people of Lewis cty did not want this. and yes I feel safe in saying the majority who took the time to get themselves infomed say all the potential problems and complete lack of foresight with the legislatures. As I recall the last paragragh of the article in the paper stated , now, an official from the RR said they will hold on to the property until a organization or non profit steps forward and is willing & able to develope the project. DUH!! why didnt we do that in the first place. i am NOT AGAINST having a trail, wether it be walking, with occiasional special use by snowmobiles & ATV. But the appropriate entity to be in charge is not the lewis county clowns. I hope the folks who work on the snirt run look into it. There are alot of people that want to ride atv & snowmobiles and it does bring in some tourism (seasonaly) It just nees to be done right not by the cty legs. And their entire approach to sneaking this project through was unprofessional and underhanded & arrogant.
justme

Boonville, NY

#10 May 3, 2012
No, some people on Topix did not want this. Sorry, the word stupid may have been harsh.
McGriddle

Syracuse, NY

#11 May 3, 2012
Question. If the railroad is bought by a private organization would the Lewis County snowmobile patrol have the right to police the trail without a warrant? I'm thinking that it'd be a great drag racing strip, and as long as it isn't county controlled there shouldn't be any restrictions on speeds.
justme

Boonville, NY

#12 May 3, 2012
A decent walking-bike trail would have been perfect. Because of lack of forsight the tracks could now become a snowmobile or 4 wheeler track, which is what the whiners didn't want in the first place. If the county purchased the tracks, and a non profit was organized to build a passive bike-walking trail it could have become a tourist attraction. Instead we may have a trail owned by the snowmobile-ATV clubs. I hope you whiners are happy now.
well played wheelers

AOL

#13 May 3, 2012
justme wrote:
A decent walking-bike trail would have been perfect. Because of lack of forsight the tracks could now become a snowmobile or 4 wheeler track, which is what the whiners didn't want in the first place. If the county purchased the tracks, and a non profit was organized to build a passive bike-walking trail it could have become a tourist attraction. Instead we may have a trail owned by the snowmobile-ATV clubs. I hope you whiners are happy now.
guess they're to busy slapping each other on the back to realise that.
OH my

Warrensburg, NY

#14 May 3, 2012
Those who were complaining about a bike and walking trail....just wait! zoom! zoom! What's Bruce K gonna do now????
You Crack Me Up

Lake Placid, NY

#15 May 3, 2012
McGriddle wrote:
I'll donate $100 to the cause of buying it just so we can have a proper racetrack through the county.
We had a racetrack...Lewis County wouldn't support that either!
economics101

Constableville, NY

#16 May 3, 2012
BK is backwards in his thinking, as are his followers. If you are ever gone make money you must INVEST!! Putting your money under your mattress is not a very good option! Lewis County was trying to invest in the future to have a growing economy! instead of battening down the hatches and laying low in the shelter! We should be looking at promoting our area, If you never invest you will always just be treading water, we need to swim baby!!
concerned citizen

Gloversville, NY

#17 May 3, 2012
For those of you whiners who think only a few people were against this, apparantly you have not talked to many village residents and other county residents. We don't want the tax burden and are sick of a few legislators who have their own agenda. Many people spoke out on this issue over the last several years. Not one person but hundreds. Tax payers called legislators. Legislators and Economic developer had no answers. Are you going to be behind something when you don't even know if it's feasible. Hell no and for those of you that want trails, join a club, hold fundraisers and build your own. That's what the country is for not the Village of Lowville or families back yards. Now McGriddle show your money where your mouth is and GO FOT IT>>> the people of Lewis County got what WE wanted. Now once you get your trails built, let's see how many jobs you create or are you all going to have your clubs volunteer to save money...Let's hear it!!!
seriously

Constableville, NY

#18 May 3, 2012
Seems to me the legislators' time would be worth more spent on trying to bring businesses and manufacturing into the county. Ya know.....JOBS!!!
trailwalker

Hollywood, FL

#19 May 4, 2012
justme wrote:
A decent walking-bike trail would have been perfect. Because of lack of forsight the tracks could now become a snowmobile or 4 wheeler track, which is what the whiners didn't want in the first place. If the county purchased the tracks, and a non profit was organized to build a passive bike-walking trail it could have become a tourist attraction. Instead we may have a trail owned by the snowmobile-ATV clubs. I hope you whiners are happy now.
This doesn't surprise me at all how it went down. A typical Lewis County Legislature move. Certain members HAD to have the ATV's and other motorized stuff included, and if they couldn't have their way, then they made sure nobody else got anything either.
trailwalker

Hollywood, FL

#20 May 4, 2012
Marge wrote:
You people crack me up. when some one has an opinion that differs from your, your response is to call them Stupid? Wow! The people of Lewis cty did not want this. and yes I feel safe in saying the majority who took the time to get themselves infomed say all the potential problems and complete lack of foresight with the legislatures. As I recall the last paragragh of the article in the paper stated , now, an official from the RR said they will hold on to the property until a organization or non profit steps forward and is willing & able to develope the project. DUH!! why didnt we do that in the first place. i am NOT AGAINST having a trail, wether it be walking, with occiasional special use by snowmobiles & ATV. But the appropriate entity to be in charge is not the lewis county clowns. I hope the folks who work on the snirt run look into it. There are alot of people that want to ride atv & snowmobiles and it does bring in some tourism (seasonaly) It just nees to be done right not by the cty legs. And their entire approach to sneaking this project through was unprofessional and underhanded & arrogant.
You are correct. If done right, human and machine can co-exist. Some areas do it with a fence to separate the two so people don't get run over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Croghan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marks Farm Supervisor Tabolt abuses Mexicans 2 hr white 23
Nirvana Plant Closing 2 hr Butch 18
looks like someone is running against the Sheriff 11 hr Abuse of Power 25
News Three charged after meth lab discovered in Lowv... 12 hr Mark 58
News Lowville attorney plans challenge of two-term L... Wed just watch 13
Beat up squad.. WOW Aug 24 joanne lowville ny 5
News Harrisville man charged in fight outside fire hall Aug 24 concerned citizen 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Croghan Mortgages