Study finds minorities, kids with dis...

Study finds minorities, kids with disabilities more likely to b...

There are 68 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 20, 2008, titled Study finds minorities, kids with disabilities more likely to b.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A quarter of a million schoolchildren got them last year - and blacks, American Indians and kids with disabilities got a disproportionate share of the punishment, according to a study by a human rights group.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
I Am A Racist

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Aug 20, 2008
"We were pretty ticked off, to say the least. The reason he got paddled was because he was untying his shoes and playing with the air conditioner thermostat," Porter said. "He was being a 3-year-old."

And only someone with the mentality of a 3 year-old would think that you can reason with a baby. And why isn't this 3 year-old home being raised by its mother? Oh, I forgot...she can't actually afford to have a baby so the taxpayers are raising it.
eliteeffete

Evanston, IL

#2 Aug 20, 2008
Cue all the commentary from people who feel they're qualified to judge other people's child-rearing techniques based on this article.
I Am A Racist

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Aug 20, 2008
What's the mystery? Its not a state secret that minorities, especially blacks, are far more likely to be criminals than whites. So why is it so difficult to understand that the criminals started out as obnoxious kids. And I'd be really interested to know what kinds of "disabilities" these kids have. I doubt that kids with real disabilities are being paddled unnecessarily. Chances are that the "disabled" kids are simply troublemakers who have been diagnosed with a politically correct condition in an effort to avoid the real diagnosis: they are sociopaths in need of institutionalization.
The Captain

United States

#4 Aug 20, 2008
Rather than jump to conclusions about minorities being more likely to be paddled, why not do a study on whether or not minorities are more likely to misbehave?
Lacey

Chicago, IL

#5 Aug 20, 2008
If we were to have an honest discussion, which demographic groups actually act out more?
ClaireZ

Evanston, IL

#6 Aug 20, 2008
OK, Racist, we get your point. You don't even need to make a comment--your POV is presented in your screenname. You were obviously raised well yourself.
sarcastic teenager

Chicago, IL

#7 Aug 20, 2008
Anyone have an over/under on how long it takes for this board to devolve into a mess of vile, ill-informed racist insults? Or am I too late?
Den C

Tinley Park, IL

#8 Aug 20, 2008
Lacey wrote:
If we were to have an honest discussion, which demographic groups actually act out more?
Spot on, that would be the only way to have an unbiased look at this problem. Since most black families are fatherless, they are more likely to be problematic.
Julia

Vernon Hills, IL

#9 Aug 20, 2008
I Am A Racist wrote:
"We were pretty ticked off, to say the least. The reason he got paddled was because he was untying his shoes and playing with the air conditioner thermostat," Porter said. "He was being a 3-year-old."
And only someone with the mentality of a 3 year-old would think that you can reason with a baby. And why isn't this 3 year-old home being raised by its mother? Oh, I forgot...she can't actually afford to have a baby so the taxpayers are raising it.
What?? Is there something wrong with preschool? Daycare I can understand being judgemental of, but it's normal to have a three year old at a preschool class for an hour or two a day to prepare them for kindergarten! And I've never heard of preschool being paid for by taxes!
Dienne

United States

#10 Aug 20, 2008
sarcastic teenager wrote:
Anyone have an over/under on how long it takes for this board to devolve into a mess of vile, ill-informed racist insults? Or am I too late?
Way too late - read posts 1 and 3.
Terrance

Diamond Bar, CA

#11 Aug 20, 2008
Paddling was an option in my grade school, St. Ambrose on the south side of Chicago. And i believe that it is a viable option for kids that won't respond to timeouts and skipped recess. My parents used corporal punishment at home as well. My brother and I are college educated and successful. Sometimes as a last option spanking is neccesary. You will not see my children throwing tantrums in public because they know if they stay out of line, a spanking will make them fall back in.
Dienne

United States

#12 Aug 20, 2008
Julia wrote:
<quoted text>
What?? Is there something wrong with preschool? Daycare I can understand being judgemental of, but it's normal to have a three year old at a preschool class for an hour or two a day to prepare them for kindergarten! And I've never heard of preschool being paid for by taxes!
And just what is wrong with daycare? Or were you offering to pay every woman to stay home with her kid?
lookyhere

Mount Prospect, IL

#13 Aug 20, 2008
Maybe that's because minorities are more apt to misbehave due to lack of parental involvment. Especially from fathers who are AWOL.

Let's start using some logic for once.
Joe

Chicago, IL

#14 Aug 20, 2008
I didn't realize corporal punishment was still legal in ANY State.
Terrance

Diamond Bar, CA

#15 Aug 20, 2008
I didnt clarify in my post that I am an African American. My father was and still is married to my mother and I am married to my childrens mother. Please dont assume that black childern grow up in fatherless homes. The children that are more likely to act out are the children who dont receive disclipline at home, regardless of race.
lookyhere

Mount Prospect, IL

#16 Aug 20, 2008
sarcastic teenager wrote:
Anyone have an over/under on how long it takes for this board to devolve into a mess of vile, ill-informed racist insults? Or am I too late?
How are we supposed to talk about the issues if everytime someone brings up the race of the subject (white, black, yellow, purple...) they are shouted down as being racist?

This PC garbage has to finally end.

Since: Jul 08

United States

#17 Aug 20, 2008
Dear Sir,
When I was at school, I was beaten regularly every thirty minutes, and it never did me any harm - except for psychological maladjustment and blurred vision.
Yours truly,
Flight Lieutenant Ken Frankenstein (Mrs).

(Monty Python)
Anonymous

Evanston, IL

#18 Aug 20, 2008
Uh, this isn't about race.

This is about the fact that there are still backwards places in this country that BEAT PEOPLE FOR NONCOMPLIANCE.

If you're a parent or teacher and you have to hit your kid to get him to listen to you, then you're bad at your job and should be fired.

Then arrested for beating a kid.
Scott

Stamford, CT

#19 Aug 20, 2008
Talking about the school's paddle, you better believe that's a paddlin'.
lookyhere

Melrose Park, IL

#20 Aug 20, 2008
Terrance wrote:
I didnt clarify in my post that I am an African American. My father was and still is married to my mother and I am married to my childrens mother. Please dont assume that black childern grow up in fatherless homes. The children that are more likely to act out are the children who dont receive disclipline at home, regardless of race.
I would tend to agree with you. However, it would be intersting to see the data on father-less homes for different ethnicities.

Also, I am a bit aprehensive about letting teachers or anyone else dole out physical punishment on my kids. I have already gone through one incident with my daughter and a teacher's aide that left very deep bruise marks on her from being held to tightly. I just do not trust anyone these days.

One more thing, there is overwhelming evidence that physical punishment given to children leads to violent behavior as they grow older. That is a fact that cannot be argued.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crockett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I know what you did last night Steve conley Jul 24 Ispy 1
Shut it Down, Stevenson Beer Distributing........ (Nov '12) Jul 22 lol 12
REWARD $500 cash for arrest/conviction on punks... Jul 22 Citizen 1
My name is Steve conley Jul 21 Steve 8
Westwood Shores- Worst Real Estate Disaster in... (Nov '13) Jul 18 Babs 13
John Cole Jul 17 Diana 1
Westwood Shores Security (Sep '07) Jul 16 Savage 230

Crockett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crockett Mortgages