Minority students top spankings study

Minority students top spankings study

There are 34 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Aug 20, 2008, titled Minority students top spankings study. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

WASHINGTON Paddlings, swats, licks. A quarter of a million schoolchildren got them last year -- and blacks, American Indians and kids with disabilities got a disproportionate share of the punishment, according ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
alice

Honolulu, HI

#23 Aug 20, 2008
I am from north Dakota, go to UH and realize the constant assault on logic, intellect and emotion that living in this city represents. :)
Hawaii 96782

Honolulu, HI

#24 Aug 20, 2008
Emac wrote:
Kids arent being spanked enough today! Kids today are given too many rights...they dont have the fear of god when it comes to their parents. The thought of my mom beating my **** when I got home was always a good deterrent. SMACK EM'!!!
(I cant wait to see the responses from you bleeding hearts when you read this post)
Oooohhh! The memories of my youth. If I had the "rights" that kids have today back then, my parents would still be in jail today!
thom1s

Honolulu, HI

#25 Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii 96782 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oooohhh! The memories of my youth. If I had the "rights" that kids have today back then, my parents would still be in jail today!
Which shows just how misguided and stupid the entire notion of RIGHTS for those who by definition are incapable of exercising them responsibly.
kaleo

Honolulu, HI

#26 Aug 20, 2008
most kids nowadays are spoiled...a little discipline and whack wit da belt on the okole never killed anyone...it's the parents who "discipline" while they're angry, and use their fists and a iron to inflict injury on their kids that's off...there's a difference between spanking and beating the crap outta a kid
LOL

United States

#27 Aug 20, 2008
thom1s wrote:
No wonder Cry Baby Boomers make such lousy parents.
Too funny!
LOL

United States

#28 Aug 20, 2008
alice wrote:
I am from north Dakota, go to UH and realize the constant assault on logic, intellect and emotion that living in this city represents.:)
Yah, and UH is helping your logic, intellect and emotion? No way, after reading your posts!
Kapahulu Boy

Pasadena, CA

#29 Aug 20, 2008
When are people going to accept that we are all different?

Is it wrong for me to say that Asians excel at academics?

Racist? Wait a minute, look test scores and see for your self.

What about if I say Blacks are as a race, superior at basketball.

Racist? Wait a minute, look at the teams.

What if I say females are more nurturing than males...And that males are physically stronger than females?

Sexist or fact?

So does it not conclude that certain races, although excelling in certain positive areas may also be prone to dominate not so positive things?

We are not all the same, be it culturally or genetically. Accept it.

I'm so tired of the articles stirring up the sh*tpot.

Some races are smart, some stupid. Some beautiful, some ugly. Some healthy, some prone to disease. Some timid, some violent.
Local Mom

Honolulu, HI

#30 Aug 20, 2008
Unfortunately there are alot of parents who would rather be a best friend and treat their children like adults instead of being the PARENT. Some people have no business being parents, can't except responsibility for themselves but keep popping out the kids.
My hand, my rules and my house all of my kids know the rules, WHAT I SAY GOES, RESPECT and if they ever act up and I hear about it, LICKENS and punishment.
What

Brook, IN

#31 Aug 20, 2008
kaleo wrote:
most kids nowadays are spoiled...a little discipline and whack wit da belt on the okole never killed anyone...it's the parents who "discipline" while they're angry, and use their fists and a iron to inflict injury on their kids that's off...there's a difference between spanking and beating the **** outta a kid
And therein lies the problem. Too many judges, attorneys, and legislators don't know where the line is. To combat this uncertainty and to make their precious jobs easier for them, they pass these no-tolerance laws that equates spanking an undisciplined child with physically torturing them. No one has the cajones to stand up and make an actual decision on a gray subject anymore.
Richard Richardson

Honolulu, HI

#32 Aug 20, 2008
When I was twelve and attending a British International School my French instructor hit me across the knuckles with his ruler. I grabbed his arm and twisted it behind his back until he politely asked me to go to the headmasters office. I never had a problem like that again.
victoria island canada

Canada

#34 Aug 21, 2008
OMG spanking kids in Canada is illegally. I can't believe people are debating this issue in the U.S. or elsewhere when they should be fighting to have this abuse removed from their school systems forever.
Ooooo

Kailua Kona, HI

#35 Aug 21, 2008
This is where the concept of "Boy" is re-enforced. Having to be spanked suposedly serves to remind the perpetrator of his wrongdoing but is also an expression of superiority. Where eventually the spanker refuses to give up his position. This cements the relationship between "instructor" & "student" or "Master" & "boy".
Great Kid

AOL

#36 Aug 21, 2008
Auwe!!!!!!!!
im not a bleeding heart

Lincoln, NE

#37 Aug 21, 2008
But I was an abused one. I grew up in a home that was filled with physical abuse. I was beaten countless of times that I couldn't even begin to tell you. I told my teachers and my parents were investigated but the state could not prove it was abuse because I had no left over welts on my body when the social worker came to our home. I was spanked,beat,abused whatever you want to call it and if that was so I could have the fear of God in me when it came to respecting my parents then I to you I say Bull____!! I am almost 40 years old and have children of my own and have never, not once spanked them. I want my children to embrace me, not fear me. If you can't control your child without physically hitting them, then I would suggest you figure out what's wrong with your parental skills.
Aloha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crockett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Reroute your goddam Valentine parade Apr 21 Rocky 3
Your town is a JOKE (Jun '08) Apr 7 Ex-Trinity-Resident 59
Haunted Places (Aug '07) Apr 5 Jina Molina 87
Kimberly Collvins Apr 3 kimcollvins 19
Brian Allen (May '11) Mar '17 S Allen 44
Stay away from Waller Thornton funeral home (Apr '15) Mar '17 Transgender 5
Women using their kid to jail you Feb '17 Observer 1

Crockett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance