Texas debates how history will be taught

Texas debates how history will be taught

There are 18 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 13, 2010, titled Texas debates how history will be taught. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

When it comes to the state's public school history books, civil-rights leader Cesar Chavez and the Christmas holiday appear safe.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Social Studies Teacher

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 14, 2010
Nice to see they are adding more people to the list. What really matters though is will they be fair ground in the TAKS Test? In reality the TAKS Test contains a finer list of testable material and many social studies teachers are ordered to stop teaching their subject for up to a month to just focus on only on the test. Who says we are not teaching to the test?
Proud to live In El Paso

El Paso, TX

#2 Jan 14, 2010
It's good to see that Cesar Chavez will get his place in history with some City and County offices closing to celebrate him. They even celebrate Mexican holidays.

Wait a minute, these same City and County offices don't close on VETERANS DAY. They completely ignore it. Wonder if we are still the Great State of Texas or a part of MEXICO as some of our city and county leaders want us to be.

Time to wake up people.
LowNSlow

El Paso, TX

#3 Jan 14, 2010
It really doesn't matter, because the majority which is Latina " NOW",will have the FINAL say so later in time (very soon) to have all those Latinos who contributed in history will be in books and be talked about until there is a change in ethnicity here in the U.S.A.,"United Spanish America"...
PanchoVilla YQue

El Paso, TX

#4 Jan 14, 2010
Proud to live In El Paso wrote:
It's good to see that Cesar Chavez will get his place in history with some City and County offices closing to celebrate him. They even celebrate Mexican holidays.
Wait a minute, these same City and County offices don't close on VETERANS DAY. They completely ignore it. Wonder if we are still the Great State of Texas or a part of MEXICO as some of our city and county leaders want us to be.
Time to wake up people.
Now, that was mighty whittie of you to say that GRINGO...
El Paso Rez

El Paso, TX

#5 Jan 14, 2010
I agree with the suggested inclusion of more Hispanics within the Texas curriculum because of the location of the state and the influence that Latin America has had in the history of Texas, but earlier articles by the EPTimes have also mentioned the removal of historical figures like Einstein and Madame Curie. Yes, these are "scientific" historical figures but you can not deny their huge contributions to our world today! The children of today's educational system are receiving such a diluted amount of knowledge, it's no wonder we're behind. It's no wonder that the world thinks we're dumb.
Gil

Austin, TX

#6 Jan 14, 2010
I did not know anything about the important role my people played in the history of Texas until I was in college and even then it was a trip to the bullock museum in austin that taught me that.
Most people think the Alamo was defended by only white immigrants, yes, they are immigrants who arrived in massed by ship mainly from Germany on the ports of Corpus Christi.
Anybody know who Juan Seguin and Lorenzo de Zavala were? Does history tell how they were driven from Texas after they fought to create the Republic of Texas then white citizens decided to join the US and take over the land and ranches owned by prosperous mexican and hispanic owners who were here long before them?
Unfortunately you will never hear anything negative about white settlers in texas until you go looking it up on your own. No wonder many hispanics don't want to identify with their heritage, all they have been told is that their people were thiefs and field workers who never contributed anything.
Why do people born in the US from mexican heritage are called mexican-americans and any white person from europe is simply called american? Why are german's born here called german-americans? Why are indians called native americans, it is the anglo who wants to always make sure the differences are clearly noted, spaniards are called hispanic even if they are white.
NormaFan

United States

#7 Jan 14, 2010
Go Norma! Where are the other state reps. on this issue? Where is Marisa Marquez? Norma will be re-elected in a landslide.
Gil

Houston, TX

#8 Jan 14, 2010
correction to my previous post, it was not corpus christi but Galveston where most of the german immigrants arrived in the mid 1800's.
TLB

Austin, TX

#9 Jan 14, 2010
MIDGETS!!! We definitely need more mention of midgets in our history books. I am asking...No,...DEMANDING more midgets.....and people with "uni-brows"...them too!
JDC

Copperas Cove, TX

#10 Jan 14, 2010
Trying to be politically correct is one of many things bringing this country down. This is just one more example.
DogBountyHugger

El Paso, TX

#12 Jan 14, 2010
NormaFan wrote:
Go Norma! Where are the other state reps. on this issue? Where is Marisa Marquez? Norma will be re-elected in a landslide.
hey Smartless, you are in the wrong blog Goof...
nono

United States

#13 Jan 14, 2010
Truthfully I hope
Petro Y-que

Brownsville, TX

#14 Jan 14, 2010
When is the real History of Texas going to be written . Like when pirates and squadders came. How it is Occupied Mexico.
Maria jose

United States

#15 Jan 14, 2010
NormaFan wrote:
Marquez is out taking care of her constituents instead of creating smoke and mirrors trying to make herself "look" like she's working for the community. What about Moody? What about Quintanilla and Pickett? Why is Marquez always mentioned with Chavez? Its getting old....we have 3 other reps....
Proud to live in El Paso

El Paso, TX

#16 Jan 14, 2010
Hey, PanchoVilla, don't assume I'm white because I'm not. I have a Mexican heritage, but first, I'm an American by birth and a Texan by the grace of GOD. I have also served my country (USA) by serving in the military during a time of war.
President Polk

San Antonio, TX

#17 Jan 15, 2010
The real history? Like we paid for the land and forgave huge debt? Like we had control of Mexico City and wanted a treaty instead of just taking all of Mexico? Mid 1800s - get over it.
PanchoVillaYQue

El Paso, TX

#18 Jan 15, 2010
Proud to live in El Paso wrote:
Hey, PanchoVilla, don't assume I'm white because I'm not. I have a Mexican heritage, but first, I'm an American by birth and a Texan by the grace of GOD. I have also served my country (USA) by serving in the military during a time of war.
I done the same as you puke, the only thing that SEPARATES me from you is thAT YOU ARE A coconut.By the way this is Mexico's land,"USA", United Spanish America...

“save the polar bears!”

Since: Sep 09

el paso

#19 Jan 21, 2010
really? we're debating how to teach history? why dont we do it the old fashioned way? tell us everything, leave nothing out. after all, we are shaping young teenage minds here. you wouldn't want to screw it up and be the cause of school wide meltdowns.....as long as we can be prepared for the TAKS.....even if it is immoral.(and you can qoute mer on that. ask our teachers, they think so too)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crockett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lake L Subdivision (Dec '08) Sat Tony 181
Kimberly Collvins thread!? Sep 16 Big daddy 1
Vanessa Beasley Sep 14 Tvman 13
Now I'm Pissed off ! - Free tickets to the zoo ! (Oct '10) Sep 5 Thomas777 112
Calling ONLY current & former Brookshire's empl... (Nov '07) Aug '17 Eme101 163
Black Panthers in East Texas (Feb '09) Aug '17 Ex-Trinity-Resident 42
Livingston Walmart = fema camp (Apr '15) Aug '17 Unknown 8

Crockett Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance