Demolition By Neglect? Historic Davy Crockett School Now a Wild Frontier.

Feb 23, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dallas Observer

Davy Crockett School as it looks right now. DISD no longer uses the building and has no plans for future use.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Apr 4, 2010
Chasjarnold

Buffalo, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2010

The story about the Davy Crockett school has nothing to do with Crockett, Texas. I understand the school is in the Dallas area Crockett, texas is 145 miles south of Dallas. We have the Davy Crockett National Forest in Houston County. Crockett, Texas is the county seat of Houston County.
Chasjarnold

Buffalo, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2010

Just as a matter of information, Crockett, Texas is the fifth oldest town in the state & Houston County is the oldest incorporated county in Texas. Crockett was named in honor of Davy Crockett, who gave his life defending Texas at the Alamo.

“Exposing Hypocrites 1 by 1”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2010

Yeh, he drank at one of our springs!

I could be wrong but I think Topix inserts articles it thinks might create interest. Sometimes it's just a key word.
Chasjarnold

Cross Plains, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2010

Davy Crockett was almost lynched because the citizens thought he was a horse thief. Eligah Gossett,who had served with Crockett in Washington lived in this area and came to Crockett's aid. He told them Crockett was a good friend and invited him and his fellow travelers to dine with him. After Crockett was brutally killed at the Alamo and Gossett gave the land for the townsite of Crockett, the citizens were going to name the town. Gossett, but he said no! I will name the town after my dear friend David Crockett.
Eligah Gossett also named the county after his friend "Sam Houston" Houston County was the first incorporated County in the Great State of Texas.
Chasjarnold

Fairfield, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

My finger was faster than my mind! Of course it's Elijah!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Crockett Discussions

Search the Crockett Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The new Trinity Standard is horrible! 10 min WWW 5
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 43 min Janie 17,154
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 6 hr Janie 21,580
illegal invasion of AMERICA 9 hr uranidiot 4
Upcoming Elections (Jun '13) Jul 25 beaver buster 32
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) Jul 25 nina roth 755
Trinity Plantation? (Jul '09) Jul 24 just suggesting 68
•••
•••
•••
•••

Crockett Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Crockett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE