Scorpions in the house

Posted in the Crockett Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#1 Aug 29, 2010
I have had a problem over the past 6-8 months with scorpions in the house. About once a week or so late at night I have found a scorpion in various places in my house. I live in the country, in the forest, with trees all around, and have a large barn full of things about 200 feet from my main house.

Three scorpions have been found amongst the laundry - I have a tall clothes hamper next to my bath in my master bedroom, and 4-5 have been found in the living room and kitchen area, often running out from under the sofas (steel futon type) or just running across the linoleum in the kitchen.

They squash easily enough with a fly swatter or handy magazine, but bug sprays don't seem to work very well on them, and when sprayed they high tail it away under furniture. Twice I have even found one crawling on the back of my neck, and I am not sure if they came from the barn or happened to be on my ceiling and dropped on me.

I read up a bit on them, and the only scorpions we seem to have in these parts would be the "striped bark scorpion" which supposedly isn't fatal, but which has a bad enough sting to kill small pets or children. Most of them have been about the length of my middle finger, or at the large end of the bark scorpion size range. I don't have kids here but we do have one small dog, so I worry that he may be stung.

The things supposedly can climb trees or walls, and walk across ceilings, slip through any cracks or ventilation systems, and can flatten themselves down to almost nothing when they want to, and even play dead. For me they are very annoying, but luckily there have been no injuries thus far.

Anyone ever have experience with these things, or know a handy way to rid a house of them, short of hiring in an exterminator and putting a tent over the house? I have heard various home remedies such as putting down moth balls and such, but I have also read that this does not work.
MFC

Mineola, TX

#2 Aug 29, 2010
Our neighbors had a bad case of them in their home. They would bite the kids and they'd find them in their sheets when going to bed.

They moved, we bought the home and started using Demon inside and out. We bought this at the feed store and it works really well on spiders....which I believe the scorpion is related to most closely.

I did get stung getting the mail last month...it was a bees sting at most. If it killed a kid it would be due to an allergic reaction. I'd worry more about peanut butter!:-)
MFC

Mineola, TX

#3 Aug 29, 2010
I'm sure you could find this but here it is anyhow...
They do seem to like the demon. Of course....wood piles and debris should be cleaned.

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/scorpions.htm
DeerHunter

Fairfield, TX

#4 Aug 29, 2010
bduares wrote:
I have had a problem over the past 6-8 months with scorpions in the house. About once a week or so late at night I have found a scorpion in various places in my house. I live in the country, in the forest, with trees all around, and have a large barn full of things about 200 feet from my main house.
Three scorpions have been found amongst the laundry - I have a tall clothes hamper next to my bath in my master bedroom, and 4-5 have been found in the living room and kitchen area, often running out from under the sofas (steel futon type) or just running across the linoleum in the kitchen.
They squash easily enough with a fly swatter or handy magazine, but bug sprays don't seem to work very well on them, and when sprayed they high tail it away under furniture. Twice I have even found one crawling on the back of my neck, and I am not sure if they came from the barn or happened to be on my ceiling and dropped on me.
I read up a bit on them, and the only scorpions we seem to have in these parts would be the "striped bark scorpion" which supposedly isn't fatal, but which has a bad enough sting to kill small pets or children. Most of them have been about the length of my middle finger, or at the large end of the bark scorpion size range. I don't have kids here but we do have one small dog, so I worry that he may be stung.
The things supposedly can climb trees or walls, and walk across ceilings, slip through any cracks or ventilation systems, and can flatten themselves down to almost nothing when they want to, and even play dead. For me they are very annoying, but luckily there have been no injuries thus far.
Anyone ever have experience with these things, or know a handy way to rid a house of them, short of hiring in an exterminator and putting a tent over the house? I have heard various home remedies such as putting down moth balls and such, but I have also read that this does not work.
Welcome to the country (city boy) no matter how clean your home or property is, every so often they will appear...Save your money.
red dawn

Crosby, TX

#5 Aug 29, 2010
move to london
Texas Grandma

Canada

#6 Aug 29, 2010
We have found a few in the house lately also. Have been here 15 years , now scorpions have decided to move In. I do have a small child, so far have been able to kill them when we see them. Would love to find something that would get rid of them.

Location hidden

#7 Aug 29, 2010
red dawn wrote:
move to london
Got a house there already, thanks

London doesn't have scorpions, but foxes trying to get into the garbage bins is a local annoyance. Biggest fox I have ever seen in my life was in London. Had to have been at least 35-40 pounds, and some of them will walk right up to within 10 feet of you like they don't even care if you see them
DeerHunter

Fairfield, TX

#8 Aug 29, 2010
Texas Grandma wrote:
We have found a few in the house lately also. Have been here 15 years , now scorpions have decided to move In. I do have a small child, so far have been able to kill them when we see them. Would love to find something that would get rid of them.
I will give you an old boot, if you need one granny...LOL
zodiac scorpio

AOL

#9 Aug 29, 2010
Seems the little pest come in when the weather is hot and very dry . I've had them in my house several times along with the ants . Just killed one last week in my bedroom . Don't worry I think they will move out when the weather changes.
Amy

Canada

#10 Aug 29, 2010
We were having some issues with them a few years back. I used that foam insulation around every pipe/cable line/ tiny opening around the house and went to stubb's feed store and asked for something to spray. He recommended something, we sprayed and no more issues since... Well and we have a housecat now! Good luck! The sting is bad!
silversurferr

Centerville, TX

#11 Aug 29, 2010
just an idea first to get rid of every critter amy is right they come in thru the plumbing, snakes tree roaches scorpions, to me the best thing is to throw out mothballs thruout the house and barn first to run them out then a few days later throw them under or around the house to keep them out,they are atracted to heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer.but the bad thing is the mthbls melt with any kind of moisture you have to keep checking on your perimeter often. that will be 10 dollars please,

“super hero”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#12 Aug 29, 2010
oh budwa i havent cut my hair in over 3 yrs.
Wile E Peyote

Trinity, TX

#13 Aug 30, 2010
A friend of mine used to live in the barn at this estate just outside of Austin...

Supposedly the house was built by one of the members of the band 'Survivor'...so we used to call it the 'House that Eye of the Tiger Built'.
He had tons of scorpions and used to leave little glasses of water around to catch them. Apparently they are highly attracted to water and he swore by this technique. Of course, being the Kato Kaelin of the hill country, he wasn't the most reliable source of information.

I've also heard chickens or peacocks will knock back their population. Free roaming chickens probably wouldn't work with your dog situation and if you got peacocks you'd soon be asking how to get rid of the peacocks.

Location hidden

#14 Aug 30, 2010
Got a neighbor about a mile and a half down the road who raises peacocks. Things roam everywhere. One day I woke up to find 3 of his youngster peacocks had settled in some of my oak trees.

Now and then I would go outside and find one of my dogs with a peacock feather in it's mouth, and would think the birds had made the mistake of landing in the yards, but they were still in the trees. They hung around for a few days and then I guess they wandered back home.

They did make some ugly noises while they were visiting
Yahoo poopoo

Centerville, TX

#15 Aug 30, 2010
Ms Manners suggests that you gently brush them off with your copy of "the Economist", in such a way as to not offend people nearby, and they will not persist in annoying you.

Location hidden

#16 Aug 30, 2010
Yahoo poopoo wrote:
Ms Manners suggests that you gently brush them off with your copy of "the Economist", in such a way as to not offend people nearby, and they will not persist in annoying you.
Miss Manners suggests that in your case it is still not too late for your mother to have an abortion.

“super hero”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#17 Aug 31, 2010
hey popo,you must be a democrap by the way you talk
Yahoo poopoo

Centerville, TX

#18 Sep 1, 2010
...Trinity, Texas. Land of the free, home of the brave.

“Life's a Bitch, then you die”

Since: Oct 07

Trinity

#19 Sep 6, 2010
bduares wrote:
Get ahold of some cedar shavings, and spread them around the perimeter of your house. They work as great flower bed cover. But most of all they help keep away scorpions, roaches and even snakes.
DeerHunter

Huntsville, TX

#20 Sep 6, 2010
breaking the silence wrote:
<quoted text>
Get ahold of some cedar shavings, and spread them around the perimeter of your house. They work as great flower bed cover. But most of all they help keep away scorpions, roaches and even snakes.
How do you explain a rattle snake under a cedar tree?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crockett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 9 hr Fossilfarts 708
Trick or Treating 13 hr Just the Same 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Wed Gasman 543
New A/D Head Football Coach (Feb '14) Tue Red Machine 2
Recommendation Requested Oct 27 dog lover 3
The Republican FAILURES Oct 26 The Facts 1
Obama doing an exceptional good job Oct 26 Pissant69 2
Crockett Dating
Find my Match

Crockett People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Crockett News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Crockett