Suicide suspected in death at youth l...

Suicide suspected in death at youth lockup in Crockett

There are 3 comments on the Houston Chronicle story from Mar 18, 2009, titled Suicide suspected in death at youth lockup in Crockett. In it, Houston Chronicle reports that:

A 14-year-old inmate sentenced to the Texas Youth Commission's Crockett State School hanged himself in his room on Monday, the first suicide since a 2007 sex abuse scandal forced the state's juvenile correctional facilities to be revamped.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Houston Chronicle.

Caseworker

United States

#1 Mar 26, 2009
Now how could it be that they allow these youths while in Security to keep their underwear. I mean it's only common sense that when these youths arrive to security they are only to have seucrity shirt and security shorts. I know that the facility that I work at, the security staff make sure that the youths remove their their underwear and if they don't, the youths are put on a 3 minute sheet for refusing to change over and make sure to tell the SDO. I know for a fact that every facility in Texas do not run alike. For instance look at the Evins facility, total screwed up with no control. The officers do not carry radios and when the officers arrive to work they give hugs and handshakes to the youths. Now if you try to check and confront these youths, the youth would assault you and officers would just stand back and allow this to happen. You are either with the crowd or not. Mr. Martinez has no control of his facility hell he's afraid to confront these youths.

“Murdock”

Since: Apr 07

Poteet

#2 Mar 26, 2009
Caseworker wrote:
Now how could it be that they allow these youths while in Security to keep their underwear. I mean it's only common sense that when these youths arrive to security they are only to have seucrity shirt and security shorts. I know that the facility that I work at, the security staff make sure that the youths remove their their underwear and if they don't, the youths are put on a 3 minute sheet for refusing to change over and make sure to tell the SDO. I know for a fact that every facility in Texas do not run alike. For instance look at the Evins facility, total screwed up with no control. The officers do not carry radios and when the officers arrive to work they give hugs and handshakes to the youths. Now if you try to check and confront these youths, the youth would assault you and officers would just stand back and allow this to happen. You are either with the crowd or not. Mr. Martinez has no control of his facility hell he's afraid to confront these youths.
If he wanted to die he could have used his "seucrity shirt or security shorts." It would Not have made a difference to him. Do you think they should all be nude now, or all just go commando? I do not remember seeing any inmate of T.Y.C. wearing shorts outside. If you were an actual caseworker you would also know that there are strings in the waistbands of the required pants they wear. I ask again, nude or just commando? The papper over the window, most of the children there have tried to do that for privacy while they pull the pudd, was not a red flag that he was hanging himself. When the papper was noticed a guard was sent to tell him to take it down. I see no fault with T.Y.C. staff at this time.
inmates upset friend

Rowlett, TX

#3 May 5, 2009
ok no i see a fault towards the tyc, because he would have a less possibity to do it. Saying that they shouldn't have underwear wouldnt have changed anything. Crockett tyc's shouldve seen the paper earlier on his door.The only thing is that they dont give any better details on his case.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crockett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
James Ray Due (Mar '09) 20 hr catrina 12
Kimberly Collvins thread!? (Sep '17) May 17 Johnnylangr 6
Calvin E Caruth (Apr '09) May 14 eddiecaruth 26
Trinity ISD Turnover??? (Apr '13) May 10 waah waah waah 42
Lakewood votes Dennis Rodman Hero over Trump fo... May 10 waah waah waah 2
Brookshire Brothers (Oct '07) May 10 googley 158
Woody Wallace is One Bad Choice!!!!!!!!!!! (Nov '12) May 9 Pro 15

Crockett Jobs

Personal Finance

Crockett Mortgages