Nottoway County Is Drowning In Its Own Ignorance and Regressive Tendencies

Posted in the Crewe Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 287 Comments Last updated Oct 20, 2010
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Southern Culture Shock

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 2, 2009
 
I knew that my opening statement would get your attention. Unfortunately, it is also all too true

I have lived in Nottoway County my entire life. There are a few good things about our area; some genuinely good people to know and a few interesting places to go. Those few-and-far-between experiences are wholly drowned out by the backwater, ignorant, good-ol-boy, country culture that threatens to consume the last bit of meat from the bones of Nottoway's potentially already dead carcass.

Let's start with good-ol-boys vs. the future. I constantly hear people whine and cry about Crewe's slow spiral into oblivion. They blame everyone, including Rick at the Journal for printing it and Food Lion for not miraculously seeing the wisdom in sinking money into the black hole that is Crewe. Any new business in the area is doomed to failure, due to both sky-high rent, taxes, and lack of interest.

Nobody can seem to guage the true pulse of growth. It's YOUTH. You have to make the place somewhere kids want to go and people starting families want to live. You have to find out what kids and young adults want to spend time. Remember when it was proposed to the town council that an antennae be attached to the water tower, providing free, wireless, high speed internet for everyone in Crewe? By intoducing this new cutting edge idea, the possibilities for growth were right there. Their answer? "We don't see the need."

The General in charge of Ft. Pickett said this area was "backwards" much to the chagrin of many resident. I simply laughed because I knew it was true. Backwards without a clue as to what to do about it.

Then there's this sickening regressive non-culture that passes itself off as the southern culture of Nottoway County. All the good jobs are taken by friends of friends in power. Not that many actually aspire to anything. Most of these young girls would rather attach themselves to a man, pop out 3 or 4 kids, raise the little brats and wait for their "man" (as long as he's not black...mexican is ok though) to bring home the bacon.

How about a bold leap into the 21st century? How about a place for adults to hang out that doesnt involve racist rednecks? How about a place that 18 year olds don't instantly run from when the become of age?

On second thought, maybe death is the best option
Survivor

Kenbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 2, 2009
 
First off, rednecks are not neccessarily racist. It was rednecks that went to war to defend the freedom we have in this country. However the county could progress in its relationship with people. Many of them are young, and I will say this we do not seem to have the problems other areas do with their young people.
I do find a certain age group to be rude and abrupt. This can be any race, but especially so among the intellectuals.
Sometimes the local newspapers help and sometimes they further fuel a fire. The facts about the grocery store does bear a lot of truth. They did a survey and found that it was not feasible, and that after wasting a lot of money. I sometimes think that the leaders do not want us to progress. Whether that is ignorance or selfishness remains to be seen.
You do not have to be white to be racist, perhaps some are just so afraid doing something new that they have emotionally crippled themselves.
Southern Culture Shock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 2, 2009
 
Survivor wrote:
First off, rednecks are not neccessarily racist. It was rednecks that went to war to defend the freedom we have in this country.
To say that "rednecks aren't necessarily racist" is akin to saying "action movies aren't necessarily loud". Yeah that maybe be true, but how often do you see a quiet action movie?

What war is this that some great legion of brave redneck soldiers marched forth and bravely defended my personal freedoms? The only two relevant wars that the US has fought in the last 150 years were the Civil War (which was the North fighting....well, rednecks) and World War II. The rest had nothing to do with "our freedoms".
Survivor wrote:
However the county could progress in its relationship with people. Many of them are young, and I will say this we do not seem to have the problems other areas do with their young people.
I do find a certain age group to be rude and abrupt. This can be any race, but especially so among the intellectuals.
Sometimes the local newspapers help and sometimes they further fuel a fire. The facts about the grocery store does bear a lot of truth. They did a survey and found that it was not feasible, and that after wasting a lot of money. I sometimes think that the leaders do not want us to progress. Whether that is ignorance or selfishness remains to be seen.
You do not have to be white to be racist, perhaps some are just so afraid doing something new that they have emotionally crippled themselves.
My point wasn't just to harp on racism, it was to point out a trend of fear here. Fear of change, fear of progression toward the future.
Survivor

Kenbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 2, 2009
 
Have you ever heard of World War I or World War II, not to mention the Revolutionary War. The Constitution was drafted and brough into being to ensure our rights. So either you have forgotten history or the fact that black soldiers fought with white soldiers and other nationalities to win us what freedom we have. Did you know that the first man to die in The Revelutionary War was a black man? The color of blood is red. My point is that for the majority of the article was right, just don't lump the white people in this county as rednecks. I do not lump black people as a certain name. Fact is black people have accomplished a lot. We have a black President that I want to succeed, if he is allowed too by the bigwigs. Racism as I pointed out exists in all races, it is the person who is determined that will get past all of this.
Blackstone Girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 3, 2009
 
I, too, have lived almost my entire life in Nottoway County. It was never my intention, but that is the way it turned out. There are limited jobs, limited entertainment, etc., just as in any small community but there are many positive things, too. My response to Southern Culture Shock is that if you find Nottoway County so unpleasant, move on. This is a free country and you can move anywhere your heart desires. And just maybe if you go somewhere else, you will find that Nottoway wasn't so bad after all.
Southern Culture Shock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 3, 2009
 
Blackstone Girl wrote:
I, too, have lived almost my entire life in Nottoway County. It was never my intention, but that is the way it turned out. There are limited jobs, limited entertainment, etc., just as in any small community but there are many positive things, too. My response to Southern Culture Shock is that if you find Nottoway County so unpleasant, move on. This is a free country and you can move anywhere your heart desires. And just maybe if you go somewhere else, you will find that Nottoway wasn't so bad after all.
I was waiting for someone to tell me that if I didnt like it then I can gets the hell on up out. I figured it would be soon. I'm here for a myriad of reasons beyond my control.

What are these positives though, I'm curious?
Survivor

Kenbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 3, 2009
 
Sometimes that is the answer that people give out. You do have to realize that when one makes an opening statement that is guaranteed to get your attention. You get replies like Blackstone girl. She is correct in some ways, maybe not subtle, but correct. You are too, I am by all standards a come here to Nottoway. There have been occasions when I wished that I had not, and a few told me to move. In fact they wished that I had. All my detractors are either dead, in prison or moved away. The rest I don't care about, but you know a grain of sand irritates the oyster to make a pearl. Just because someone wants you to do something does not make it right. You have to exercise your conscience and make the little corner of the world you claim better. Yes maybe you are here for reasons beyond your control, so am I but maybe you are the grain of sand. Ever thought about it that way?
BTW an knock them over the head with an opening statement demonstrates a writing skill. That I learned in a literary class.
Blackstone Girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 6, 2009
 
Have you ever watched "My Name is Earl"? Karma: do good things and good things will happen to you. Certainly life is not that simple but if you try to get involved in positive things in the community, you life will take a turn for the better. When my husband insisted that we move back home, no one could have HATED it more; but after wallowing in self-pity for about a year, I realized that I was only making myself miserable. No one else cared. Get involved in your community: join the fire department or the emergency squad; join a civic organization; volunteer to help someone less fortunate than you; volunteer to read to a child or to an elderly person; go to town council meetings; do something positive for yourself and your community - YOU will be the winner. If you find that you are stuck in Nottoway County, LEARN TO BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED!!:o)
Tired Nottoway Politics

Jasper, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 11, 2009
 
I am white so let me get that out in the front. I grew up here and moved away in 1990 and in 1998 made a return to the area. I have found that the area is not the same as it used to be. When I was growing up in the area at least parents and people actually care for people. This day and age you have people in control of the area that dont. You had a young man by the name of RW run for Crewe Town council that cared about the way Crewe was running itself into the ground and the area people voting didnt even give him a chance. I will say that if he had just MAYBE things would have looked up for the youth. I loved Living here growing up but things have changed for the worse. Racism is a big deal hear but its in the opposite of what Southern is speaking. Only thing you need to do is check your Employment history and firing history to see this. The place I work is a leading example.
I agree with Blackstone Girl on one thing to volunteer for organizations to make a difference. THAT IS IF THEY WILL LET YOU!!!!! This is where I am tired of the Nottoway Politics. I know someone who applied to Nottoway County Emergency Squad to be turned down because of the blackballing that goes on within the NCES.
Southern Culture Shock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 11, 2009
 
"Racism is a big deal hear but its in the opposite of what Southern is speaking."

Please elaborate.
Tired Nottoway Politics

Jasper, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 11, 2009
 
The old Warden at Nottoway Correctional Center got on CBS News and called white people the devil. One of the food managers at Walmart in Blackstone called one of his employees a cracker. These individuals even after doing this still remained on their jobs. The manager at walmart then got in the BLackstone Paper reporting Racial Discrimination a year later but he forgot how he treated the man a year earlier. He threatened Walmart in a lawsuit for the same thing he had done one year earlier. The thing is racism is a big deal on both accounts in all different directions. People forget that they breathe the same, bleed the same, speak out their mouths the same, and even sit on the toilet the same. It doesn't matter if you are white, black, hispanic, or what origin you come from. Its the human race. I am not a racist because for one I believe GOD created all and the Bible tells us so. I am just saying it in Nottoway its on both ends of the stick. In no way am I saying it doesnt occur from the, your words "redneck" community. When you stated that you opened yourself up to be called a racist yourself.
Tired Nottoway Politics

Jasper, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 11, 2009
 
Now let me say one thing. I totally agree with you on the fact that Nottoway has people in areas of politics that should not be. I agree with you when you state that some dont seem to care about the future of Nottoway. Crewe is a good example. There was a moment in time you could shop downtown Crewe and find just about anything you want. Heck, Crewe had three grocery stores at one time. Crewe had little league football and Blackstone had little league football, it was fun just to be part of an inner county battle. Kids used to look forward to getting to middle school so they can play football together. You got to see the talent from both ends of the county. One of the best things that ever happened to America is when the blacks and whites came together. I agree that a bunch of our politics seem backward. I also agree that Nottoway needs a place other than a bar. In my last comment above I wasnt calling you a racist all I was saying is you opened a door in which I believe isnt part of the problem.
Southern Culture Shock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 12, 2009
 
Well, lemme say this. People can feel free to call me whatever you want, if that's what they feel. I'm not really afraid of being called "racist". That's a blanket term and isn't strictly black and white (no pun intended). There are biased traits in everyone because no one is perfect and it's not an absolute thing.

However, one thing I will admit to is never feeling much sympathy for is the so-called "reverse-rasism" thing. It's not right to discriminate against anyone with respects to employment, but there is a vast difference between the systematic, generational, institutionalized racism that blacks have felt for years vs. two or three isolated incidents where a white person felt a double-standard for the first time in their life and don't know how to handle it.

The idea that white people are some down trodden oppressed minority in Nottoway County is laughable. Let's not forget the heirarchy here. That's like someone who lives in Hawaii complaining about the weather on Thursday.
Tired Nottoway Politics

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 12, 2009
 
Undoubtly you took what you wanted from the statements I made and forgot what was actually being said. So this subject with you is not worth discussing. You only have take a look at the news to look who is oppressing who. I am tired of the Nottoway Politics but I love where I live. Its no longer the sixties but some have to live there to live here. Those were only two examples of I gave you and whether or not those I was speaking of can hanle it. I guess so they are still working there. One thing a good thinking man stated to me is "we are each responsible for our actions, we cant blame another for our mistakes because now we are given the opportunity to fly straight" and this was from a black man in prison.
Southern Culture Shock

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 12, 2009
 
I didn't miss your point, I was just expounding on a couple of details. I wasn't trying to go off on a tangent. Actually, I guess this whole thread was me going off on a tangent.
CSI

Kenbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 12, 2009
 
Okay now can we just try and understand that no matter what our culture is, we are all in the same boat.
Blackstone Girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 13, 2009
 
Tired Nottoway Politics wrote:
Now let me say one thing. I totally agree with you on the fact that Nottoway has people in areas of politics that should not be. I agree with you when you state that some dont seem to care about the future of Nottoway. Crewe is a good example. There was a moment in time you could shop downtown Crewe and find just about anything you want. Heck, Crewe had three grocery stores at one time. Crewe had little league football and Blackstone had little league football, it was fun just to be part of an inner county battle. Kids used to look forward to getting to middle school so they can play football together. You got to see the talent from both ends of the county. One of the best things that ever happened to America is when the blacks and whites came together. I agree that a bunch of our politics seem backward. I also agree that Nottoway needs a place other than a bar. In my last comment above I wasnt calling you a racist all I was saying is you opened a door in which I believe isnt part of the problem.
" ... Nottoway needs a place other than a bar." Well, we have it!! Blackstone Coffee and Bistro has a fine menu and a delightful atmosphere where the citizens of Nottoway can enjoy good conversation, good food, a relaxing atmosphere, a cup of good coffee, and at times good music. If you don't care for the rowdy bar scene and want a more sophisticated experience in Nottoway County, give the Blackstone Coffee and Bistro a try. If that kind of environment is your "cup of coffee" I think you will find yourself back for more.
CSI

Kenbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 13, 2009
 
I see a lot of repeat statements, which means that either the commentator did not think the statement was printed. The thing is there is racism on both sides of the fence and it always has been. I have found in all of the counties that surround Nottoway. I have heard the n word and been called cracker or that ole whitey. This while doing a job that is to help them. So let me say this, no matter where you go it will not be perfect, you have to be content within in order to be enjoy your surroundings.
undercover

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 13, 2009
 
After reading your most recent post blackstone girl it seems as if you own that place or work there. Haha, But I agree it is a great place to relax and the coffee is delicous.
Blackstone Girl

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 13, 2009
 
undercover wrote:
After reading your most recent post blackstone girl it seems as if you own that place or work there. Haha, But I agree it is a great place to relax and the coffee is delicous.
Wrong :o) I neither own the Bistro nor work there. I've only eaten there three or four times but it is a wonderfuly addition to the area eateries - I don't even feel like I am in Nottoway County when I go there!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Crewe Discussions

Search the Crewe Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Nottoway Schools start before Labor Day... Why? Jul 19 FED UP 1
My New Water Meter Jul 17 incometer 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Jul 15 Billy Bob 2,548
Legal Highs (Jul '13) Jul 13 donnie 11
tracy williams (reeves) (Dec '05) Jun '14 lori 59
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356
Crewe Primary Teachers using and selling drugs! Apr '14 Punisher111594 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Crewe Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Crewe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Crewe News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Crewe
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••