Crete robberies
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Crete Rez

United States

#1 Nov 21, 2009
Has anyone heard about the robberees in Crete lately? I heard that people have been getting robbed by guys with guns outside there houses???
Crete citizen

Chicago, IL

#2 Nov 21, 2009
Look at the Chicago trash that has moved in since the King of Chicago tore down the projects. Crete is going to be the next University Park. I did not hear about the robberies.
ActiveResident

Park Forest, IL

#3 Nov 23, 2009
There's a Crete village board meeting tonight (Monday). The police chief usually gives detailed accounts of what's happened in the past couple weeks. Amazing what you find out... If he mentions anything I'll let you know. You can also show up at a village board meeting and talk to him in person.
ActiveResident

Park Forest, IL

#4 Nov 24, 2009
As usual at Monday's meeting, the chief of police gave an update on what happened around town. And he mentioned those robberies, so you were correct! I might have the days and times wrong, but here's the story:

On Ronald Rd. a guy was robbed while getting out of his car at his house, around 9:30 pm. 2 guys with handguns. 6 days later same thing happened on Charles. The man called the police when he got in the house. Crete police had stepped up their patrol cars in the area after the 1st robbery, and they apprehended the suspect 4 minutes after the robbery. The guy lives in Lincolnshire East. The other guy was already gone, but they "know" who he is and are trying to find him.
Monster

Park Forest, IL

#5 Nov 27, 2009
No surprise they live in Lincolnshire that place went to crap! Crte needs to wake up and watch what they are letting move into the area.
ActiveResident

Park Forest, IL

#6 Nov 29, 2009
They are "letting" people move in? How do you legally tell someone that they cannot buy a house?
Cracker

AOL

#7 Dec 21, 2009
buy a house?
14 people living in one house with five different last names. Single family housing? section 8? There are ways to make the baboons live legal...
Lets all wait till tomorrow for the next forclosure so we can loot what they ripped off from us.
ActiveResident

Park Forest, IL

#8 Dec 22, 2009
I attended a seminar about 15 years ago on "housing trends in America". They mentioned that it is only since WWII that Americans started thinking that it was normal for just one small immediate family to live in a house. That before then, it was common for 3 generations to live together, to have close friends also live with you to share expenses and child rearing. It was more like living within a "village" than being isolated. They said that Latin and black cultures were more likely to continue that trend, and that white people were more likely to isolate themselves in their homes and think it was somehow "trashy" to live with so many people in your house. I've grown up with this mentality and never thought about it until I attended the talk.

Anyway, not saying that everytime there's a bunch of people living in a house it's for a GOOD reason, but just that people have to start thinking in a different way.

This seminar also said 15 years ago that there was going to be an oversupply of 4,000 sqft houses, more of a need for average size houses, more in-town houses and less out in the boondocks... The guy knew what he was talking about!
shesha1818

Park Forest, IL

#9 Dec 23, 2009
Thanksgiving morning woke up to a rock in my car window and my purse taken (yes) my fault hands were full of groceries totally forgot to go back for it. Thank God no money in it, but my ID's were gone and my credit card (cancelled) immediately. Was leaving for Vegas Monday morning, canr get on a plane with no ID. DMV open on Sat. I live in a nice quiet (dark) neighborhood in crete. Have heard of 2 strange people in neighborhood
annakins29

Woodridge, IL

#10 Dec 24, 2009
i have trash on my block and one month after they moved in I was awakend at 4:00 am by SWAT in my front yard with guns drawn. They arrested two people. Since then there have been other incidents and arrests. The people living there seems to change every few months, depending on what foster children they have. I find nothing wrong with taking in these kids if you are gounbg to offer them a better life. But they are just turned loose to do whatever they want. Some of the smaller ones are roaming the streets after dark. So they are just a "check" for them every month with no regrads to helping these children who have already had a messed up life.
ActiveResident

Park Forest, IL

#11 Dec 28, 2009
shesha1818 wrote:
Thanksgiving morning woke up to a rock in my car window and my purse taken (yes) my fault hands were full of groceries totally forgot to go back for it. Thank God no money in it, but my ID's were gone and my credit card (cancelled) immediately. Was leaving for Vegas Monday morning, canr get on a plane with no ID. DMV open on Sat. I live in a nice quiet (dark) neighborhood in crete. Have heard of 2 strange people in neighborhood
Wow, so sorry to hear what happened to you. And it really sucks that it happened before you travel. Losing money is never the worst part, it's all the ID theft stuff. I lost my purse the day before I was supposed to drive cross country and had to put off my trip til I could get a license. I hope to god that you called the police dept and reported it. Crete's new police administration seems more competent than the older crew.
Cracker

AOL

#12 Dec 30, 2009
News seems to filter down thru the departments of our town (Crete).
The "po' po'" dept has alot of chatter about the "darker" side of town. All the crime and crap that goes unrecorded ! Hell, even the garbage man has ask for protection while doing his job!
This town is spiraling donward at a high rate of speed.. 90% of the problem is "people of Color" gone mad. well not mad, They were just let out of thier Cabrini CAGES in Chi town and fell s/ward.... Maybe we can deport them back to the jungles of Africa where thier heratige lies. Or maybe they can learn to ACT human instaed of sub animal
and work and get off of the free white mans magic carpet ride.
annakins29

United States

#13 Jan 1, 2010
Cracker wrote:
The "po' po'" dept has alot of chatter about the "darker" side of town. All the crime and crap that goes unrecorded ! Hell, even the garbage man has ask for protection while doing his job!
This town is spiraling donward at a high rate of speed.. 90% of the problem is "people of Color" gone mad. well not mad, They were just let out of thier Cabrini CAGES in Chi town and fell s/ward.... Maybe we can deport them back to the jungles of Africa where thier heratige lies. Or maybe they can learn to ACT human instaed of sub animal
the village finally stepped up and made the people on my block fix their house. They had stuffed steel wool in a hole made by woodpeckers overa year ago It has rusted and run down the side of the house. Mayve they will do something about the peeling paint when the weather turns warmer.
sch

United States

#14 Jan 11, 2010
Cracker wrote:
i agree
Black

United States

#15 Jan 12, 2010
It is very interesting to hear the ignorance being talked about here. It is always the other folk i.e. blacks that run down a area. Using basic knowledge how could this be the case if non black didnt rundown the property or area first? When you look at the top south side areas of Chicago interestingly the top three areas are better than 53 black owned. when you also look at top home values south of chicago areas considered black are in the top four of growing communities.If you think blacks are longing to move to crete thats just stupid. While some feel the large lot sizes are a plus many are for going this and moving into area that are better maintained. Drive through area such are MaryCrest, and other black areas not affected by white flight and it will very obvious us that many more blacks and some latinos perfer to buy homes with values much greater than those in crete. My brother just purchased a home in your town of crete because of the cheap realestate priced for a two year old home on 3 acres. Did he lower the values of your town homes, i think not. Home values drop the most when those living there for what ever reason decide that it no longer suits them to stay, less care, less maintaince etc. Ask yourself why this is the trend. If your pals are not moving out, how could the bad elements move in as you state?
ActiveResident

Park Forest, IL

#16 Jan 13, 2010
Black: Just ignore 99% of the people who post on Topix. They are racist, intolerant people who, thanks to the internet, finally have somewhere to "talk" without having to show their faces because they wouldn't have the guts to otherwise. It's probably just a half dozen people under multiple signin names. And their intelligence is usually indicated by the lack of grammar and punctuation (although I will admit that your post is lacking both of those things too...)
Black

United States

#17 Jan 13, 2010
Active Resident you're correct.I was a bit taken by what I was reading.I was emotional and upset.

Thanks Mike Dean
CITIZEN

Addison, IL

#19 Mar 22, 2010
Our house values, which is a big investment for me, goes down as
soon as "people of color" move in, sorry to say. Now I can't get
what my house is worth. And the children run free with no
parental involvement and I have to deal with them. Pleasant.
Black wrote:
It is very interesting to hear the ignorance being talked about here. It is always the other folk i.e. blacks that run down a area. Using basic knowledge how could this be the case if non black didnt rundown the property or area first? When you look at the top south side areas of Chicago interestingly the top three areas are better than 53 black owned. when you also look at top home values south of chicago areas considered black are in the top four of growing communities.If you think blacks are longing to move to crete thats just stupid. While some feel the large lot sizes are a plus many are for going this and moving into area that are better maintained. Drive through area such are MaryCrest, and other black areas not affected by white flight and it will very obvious us that many more blacks and some latinos perfer to buy homes with values much greater than those in crete. My brother just purchased a home in your town of crete because of the cheap realestate priced for a two year old home on 3 acres. Did he lower the values of your town homes, i think not. Home values drop the most when those living there for what ever reason decide that it no longer suits them to stay, less care, less maintaince etc. Ask yourself why this is the trend. If your pals are not moving out, how could the bad elements move in as you state?
Howdy

United States

#20 Mar 28, 2010
I was born and raised in Harvey. Our Dad passed last Feb. I can quote the litany of robberies, assaults,
etc. We will be lucky to get what my parents paid in 1951!!!

How about all of you intelligent people who lived this far south in the past 30-50 years explain the deterioration.
ActiveResident

Park Forest, IL

#21 Mar 29, 2010
Howdy wrote:
I was born and raised in Harvey. Our Dad passed last Feb. I can quote the litany of robberies, assaults,
etc. We will be lucky to get what my parents paid in 1951!!!
How about all of you intelligent people who lived this far south in the past 30-50 years explain the deterioration.
That is an excellent question, Howdy. Here's my thought. For decades, we in the southern suburbs thought we had our own little secret. We could have a nice house and land for a fraction of what it cost up north or west of Chicago. When I got my first job in Chicago, and was pretty much the only one from the southern suburbs, it was amazing to compare housing costs by me with what they were paying, even just for apartment rental. My co-workers were struggling to pay their rent, while I was paying rent and supporting an expensive hobby with no problem!

What did we give up? Didn't have the entertainment close by, not a huge choice of shopping, less nearby jobs, but heck we all had cars and who cared about suburban sprawl back then. So when low-income people moved out of Chicago, either to escape crime or because Daly shut down their housing, they needed to go somewhere affordable, and that was straight south. It started close to the city and keeps coming south. Other suburbs are required to include pockets of "affordable housing" here and there, but nothing to compare with an entire geographic region that is still more affordable that up north or west.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crete Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old nightclub by Fuddruckers Mon Hal E. Hal 5
News Stateville gets new lease on life as Pontiac pr... (May '08) Jul 23 sad mommy 50
Mayor Gonzalez - 4 more years! (Jan '15) Jul 19 Mario 21
somebody needs to tell john trotier to stop try... Jul 19 Ryan 16
Steger from above (Jun '08) Jul 13 Cdk 8
News Ultra Foods in Crestwood offers array of prepar... (Jun '12) Jul 4 resident 28
Hazel crest pd (Jan '13) Jul 3 Bullwinkle 3

Crete Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crete Mortgages