Play takes cues from court case

Mar 16, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Des Moines Register

A play in rehearsals at an Ankeny community college draws inspiration from the case of two former Creston police officials convicted of sexual abuse.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Apr 12, 2009
Lyndsay Krings

Lenox, IA

#1 Mar 26, 2009
Do what you feel you gotta do I GUESS!! BUT There are children involved, destroyed and terribly hurt by what has happened! SO WHY do we have to have it all over the news about this play!!!????? Seriously NO sensitivity chip!

I just do not understand why?
Julie

Wichita, KS

#2 Mar 26, 2009
I agree. This issue needs to go away. Let the children live as peaceful as they possibly can now. They have been through ENOUGH!!!
Creston Rez

Lenox, IA

#3 Mar 27, 2009
With all the publicity around this case, it was bound to happen. It will probably be a movie on Lifetime someday.

I feel bad for the kids and I wish it would just go away, but that is not going to happen. The officers are already getting their appeals ready and there will be a round 2. Unfortunately, this is all public record and anyone who wants to can make a movie or write a book about it.
Nichole Goble

Creston, IA

#4 Mar 28, 2009
I feel terrible for the kids/families/ victim in this case, but we should not lose sight of the truly responsible parties of their pain...the men who were found guilty!
Lyndsay Krings

Lenox, IA

#5 Apr 6, 2009
Nichole Goble wrote:
I feel terrible for the kids/families/ victim in this case, but we should not lose sight of the truly responsible parties of their pain...the men who were found guilty!
While I agree with what you are saying. It is still the children who have to face this day by day and they for sure did nothing to deserve it. Besides...a comedy on RAPE...that is messed up anyway. There is nothing funny about any of this. BUT it is over now..the play was last week I think.??
Creston Res

United States

#6 Apr 7, 2009
Lyndsay Krings wrote:
<quoted text> While I agree with what you are saying. It is still the children who have to face this day by day and they for sure did nothing to deserve it. Besides...a comedy on RAPE...that is messed up anyway. There is nothing funny about any of this. BUT it is over now..the play was last week I think.??
I didn't hear that it was a comedy.....are you sure?
Dark Humor

United States

#7 Apr 7, 2009
Creston Res wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't hear that it was a comedy.....are you sure?
They used the words "dark humor"
there is no humor in the events that took place on April 18, 2008.
I do not believe in censorship, if that were to be done, we would not have had so much information on the trial, but I do not believe that the play should be acted out representing "humor" of any kind. This is about rape, and that is not joking matter.
oh come on

Creston, IA

#8 Apr 8, 2009
"dark humor" is very strange stuff in my opinion. I watched a movie that said "dark humor" it was the weirdest, scaryest(sp) thing i had ever seen. there was absolutely NOTHING funny about it.
just an fyi
Nichole Goble

Creston, IA

#9 Apr 12, 2009
I agree that the incident isn't a laughing matter, but the term "dark humor" is not synonomous with "comedy." Dark humor is less about laughs and more about using irony, etc. to help drive the central theme of the material.

I guess my theatre major roots are showing, yes? Haha

Admittedly, I was tempted to see a performance of this but - since it only ran for one weekend - was not able to due to other obligations. It would have been fascinating to see the play...to see the choices the actors/playwright/director made and to experience the whole thing with an audience. Here's to hoping it encouraged some thoughtful discussion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Creston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IA Who do you support for Governor in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 11 Go Blue Forever 63
Orange Ribbons (May '09) Jul 31 whats withe the o... 1,161
Racism lurking at sundown in Iowa? (Jun '06) Jul '14 esta 401
IA Iowa House primary ground zero for gay marriage... (Jun '10) Jun '14 slayer rules 411
IA Who do you support for Treasurer in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Mar '14 daxton 9
IA IA Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Tru... (Oct '10) Mar '14 aez 17
Drug Bust (Aug '08) Jan '14 happydad 13
•••
•••
•••

Creston Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Creston People Search