Creston News Advertiser

Creston News Advertiser

Posted in the Creston Forum

Crestonian

Grand Junction, IA

#1 Jun 10, 2009
There have been many bonified news stories in the past several months that have been picked up by newspapers, radio stations and television stations throughout the state (and the surrounding states for that matter) that have never been mentioned in the Creston News Advertiser. Why are we paying such astronomical rates to have a local newspaper if they refuse to report the local news? Everyone knows there have been many news outlets that have continued to cover the saga of the events that happened at the country club, and the subsequent stories. There are many sporting events that you have to subscribe to the Omaho World Herald to get converage of. These are just a few examples. Why are we still blessed with a local newspaper when so many others are folding due to the economy? Why do we continue to subscribe when we are clearly dissatisfied with the paper?? Clearly, their readership has declined, so they just raise the price and we gladly pay. I for one, am not going to gladly pay anymore!! I want to do business with local business men and women, and I wan to support the people in my small town, but I'm having a hard time getting behind this business. Is it too much to ask that they cover at least the stories that radio stations and tv stations across the country deem to be important enough for their lead stories, and newspapers all around us consider to be front page news?
been there done with that

Creston, IA

#2 Jun 11, 2009
Oh, I let my subscription lapse for the first time in 20 years due to this problem. I don't plan to come back unless SF is gone and they get better news coverage. It is an outrage as well as an insult to our intelligence!
from there

San Francisco, CA

#3 Jun 12, 2009
why pay for it when it is online for free?
Crestonian

Grand Junction, IA

#4 Jun 13, 2009
The bigger question is "why bother at all?"
Gramz

United States

#5 Jun 13, 2009
Crestonian wrote:
The bigger question is "why bother at all?"
Well, there are lots of reasons to bother. If CNA disappears we won't have any local news at all. It may not be the best newspaper in the world; but it is what we have. And it is useful for things like death notices, births, local events.

And another thing is that all media gets some things wrong. Small town newspapers can not attract the best reporters you know.

Instead of complaining, has anyone thought of trying to offer constructive criticism or suggestions? Print newspapers are an endangered species. We need to support them. Not further their demise.
Crestonian

Grand Junction, IA

#6 Jun 13, 2009
Gramz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there are lots of reasons to bother. If CNA disappears we won't have any local news at all. It may not be the best newspaper in the world; but it is what we have. And it is useful for things like death notices, births, local events.
And another thing is that all media gets some things wrong. Small town newspapers can not attract the best reporters you know.
Instead of complaining, has anyone thought of trying to offer constructive criticism or suggestions? Print newspapers are an endangered species. We need to support them. Not further their demise.
Yes, I have written many letters to the editor, and had personal conversations with Stephanie Finley. She doesn't really seem interested in constructive criticism. I want to support my local newspaper, but when I have to look to the World Herald or the Register to get written information, I find it difficult at best. KSIB seems to be the best outlet for local news, and the Reicks are definately interested in the community.
Orange Ribbons

Springfield, MO

#7 Jun 13, 2009
Crestonian wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I have written many letters to the editor, and had personal conversations with Stephanie Finley. She doesn't really seem interested in constructive criticism. I want to support my local newspaper, but when I have to look to the World Herald or the Register to get written information, I find it difficult at best. KSIB seems to be the best outlet for local news, and the Reicks are definately interested in the community.
Would have to agree, KSIB is doing a much better job at reporting.
KSIB the better source

Kelseyville, CA

#8 Jun 13, 2009
Crestonian wrote:
<quoted text>
Stephanie Finley does not like criticizm constructive or otherwise. Her views are the word of God, even when she trips all over herself, which she has done. I'm surprised she is still there. KSIB is the better source for the news in this area.
I know that some have stopped renewing thier suscriptions.
Crestonian

Grand Junction, IA

#9 Jun 18, 2009
Wow! Over 2/3 of the front page tonight is dedicated to the gardening habits of two retired teachers? While I admire the Lipold's and their admittedly accomplished landscaping, I hardly think this is a hard news story, and it certainly doesn't qualify as a reason to continue to take the Creston News Advertiser!! My subscription was a gift, but when it runs out.....
Gramz

United States

#10 Jun 18, 2009
I have noticed over the last week that their front page has contained some brief articles about national news stories. I find it annoying when they run these AP (or other newswire) articles. I think they do it to fill space. I do not need them to report on yesterday's national news. I have already heard most of that because I monitor several on-line big city newspapers and watch the local TV news & CNN.

What I really want from the CNA IS local news. And some days are slow news days. But, I also know from past conversation with Stephani that they do not always hear about what is going on around town. I know that reporters are supposed to FIND the news. But all news media rely on tips from readers/viewers for story leads.

I do not know what the answer is to this issue. What I do know is that our local businesses depend upon advertising in the newspaper. Citizens rely upon the information about events, resources and opportunities. When a town of this size loses its local newspaper, it is only a matter of time before the community declines even further economically.

Stephani's education is not in journalism. So that may be a part of the problem. Has anyone talked to the Publisher, Rich Paulson about their concerns?

I am just concerned with Creston not slipping further into the abyss. The local newspaper is the life blood of small communities.
Gramz

United States

#11 Jun 18, 2009
Did anyone read Tyler Ellyson's latest column? I sure am tired of hearing about his apparent drinking problem. It seems to be a source of pride for him. At least most of their other columnists are either thought provoking or amusing to read. His are just ill thought out logic and downright strange.
Crestonian

Grand Junction, IA

#12 Jun 18, 2009
So Stephanie is not qualified to run the newspaper. She was originally hired to report on area arts events, if I recall. That is indeed her area of expertise. I do want local news, but I want it to be newsworthy. I want to know what is going on in the area schools and businesses, but I don't really think that is being addressed properly. I understand your concerns, but I dedicate almost all of my advertising budget to KSIB, because the results are MUCH better. KSIB is responsible for several newscasts during the day, and they seem to find enough items to fill their time, so why can't the Advertiser? I am not really complaining about the LIppold's being in the paper, I just don't think that it was appropriate for it to be 2/3's of the front page. There are many opportunities around town for articles, and I would even think that features on the area businesses would be interesting. That might spur interest and get people to shop in the area. We are lucky to have a local radio station and a local newspaper, but I don't think we will have the paper for much longer if this is the quality they are putting out.
Gramz

Creston, IA

#13 Jun 18, 2009
Crestonian wrote:
So Stephanie is not qualified to run the newspaper. She was originally hired to report on area arts events, if I recall. That is indeed her area of expertise. I do want local news, but I want it to be newsworthy. I want to know what is going on in the area schools and businesses, but I don't really think that is being addressed properly. I understand your concerns, but I dedicate almost all of my advertising budget to KSIB, because the results are MUCH better. KSIB is responsible for several newscasts during the day, and they seem to find enough items to fill their time, so why can't the Advertiser? I am not really complaining about the LIppold's being in the paper, I just don't think that it was appropriate for it to be 2/3's of the front page. There are many opportunities around town for articles, and I would even think that features on the area businesses would be interesting. That might spur interest and get people to shop in the area. We are lucky to have a local radio station and a local newspaper, but I don't think we will have the paper for much longer if this is the quality they are putting out.
I hear what you are saying and agree. But whatever your buiness is, if you are spending most of your advertising budget on KSIB you are probably missing me as a consumer. I do not listen to KSIB. In fact the only radio I do listen to is NPR. I do not like their (KSIB)music at all. You are right that they do a better job of reporting the news: arrests and big news items (I do listen for school closings in the winter).

Don't get me wrong. I support KSIB too. Radio just does not fit into my lifestyle well. I know a lot of people who do not listen to KSIB except in the morning. So, you may be missing many potential customers!
Crestonian

Grand Junction, IA

#14 Jun 18, 2009
I hear what you are saying, but when I have run ads in the Advertiser before, I got virtually no response, and my KSIB ads do get hears, so I find my advertising dollars better spent there. I have run coupons and such before and not gotten any back at all. That tells me the newspaper is not reaching the customers I need to get to.
xyz

Grand Junction, IA

#15 Jun 18, 2009
Crestonian wrote:
I like both of our news outlets. sometimes they both are a little late or repeat old news. my problem with ksib is they repeat the news 2 or 3 times on one day and a lot of times, it's 1 or 2 or even 3 times the next day, especially if it i slow, but still?? the newspaper has a downfall, because it usually does have just old news. I seem to remember when ksib would only have news they read from the CNA
just my 2 cents worth
give it a rest

Milton, FL

#16 Jul 6, 2009
Gramz wrote:
<quoted text>
if they have the quality the cna has it's no wonder
Let the truth be known

Creston, IA

#17 Jul 17, 2009
Gramz wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a person that has written 5 letters and hand delivered them to CNA for "the letter to the editor" section (which I do not know if there is still a section for) in the last 2 years that have never been published. In fact the last letter was about the biased or no coverage on certain stories CNA has/have refuced to publish. They were all signed with their name and address, but none ever reached the printing press. I thought the "Letters to The Editor" were public views and were printed when sent in with name and address. It is a shame when the editor only prints what they want and shuns the views of the public when the editor does not agree with the writer. Maybe CNA should revise their purpose statement. For now it seems like their statement reads "to keep their readers in the dark and always hide the truth when it doesn't fit CNA's agenda."
My friend also sent these letters to the editor to DM Register and they not only printed the letters, but the Rgister called them to get a more detailed insight on the letters. Maybe it is time to hire new reporters that are not afraid to push their stories through, or just hire a new Editor that cares for Creston and their people and their town's growth...not their demise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Creston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary clinton IRS investigation (Jul '16) Jul '16 Norman VN 1
News Iowa board OKs hog facilities despite opposition (Nov '14) Nov '14 Hog Confinement ... 1
News North Iowa Native Arrested in Central Iowa on S... (Jul '12) Oct '14 angie 3
Orange Ribbons (May '09) Jul '14 whats withe the o... 1,161
Hanna (Baker) Brown (Sep '13) Sep '13 John 1
Review: Mulberry Hair Salon The (May '13) May '13 KEJ 1
Any Pizza Hut employees in Creston who have had... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Serious Money 1

Creston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Creston Mortgages