Arizona couple won't see son's plaque when they visit his grave

Full story: Daily Breeze 31
But when they stop by the former Lawndale man's resting place at Pacific Crest Cemetery in Redondo Beach, they won't see the name Mark Todd Crain on a plaque. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
surfchickmb

Phoenix, AZ

#1 Apr 12, 2010
God Bless the family of this fine soldier!!
Gladiator in Torrance

Redondo Beach, CA

#2 Apr 12, 2010
Glad to hear the wonderful news coming from the Veterans Administration who will be replacing stolen plaque for Mr. and Mrs. Crain’s son Mark Crain.
Let Stop Being Soft

Glendale, CA

#3 Apr 12, 2010
When the thieves who stole these headstones is caught, they deserve a little extra attention, and not the warm and fuzzy kind! Lets hope they resist and fail to cooperate with the officers who arrest them. The thieves are bad enough, but any scrap dealer who would accept these as scrap should also be arrested for their part! What a sad world.
Richard

Williamsburg, VA

#4 Apr 13, 2010
To steal a person's grave marker is the lowest thing someone could do. How would the thieves like it if someone did that to their deceased loved one? To disrespect and degrade the memory of a loved one is inexcusable. I hope these thieves get caught and made to spend some time in jail for their unscrupulous actions.
Seggy

Waipahu, HI

#5 Apr 13, 2010
I heard that this has also happened at Green Hills. Has anyone else heard that?
fellow citizen

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#6 Apr 13, 2010
In my opinion, the recycling company should have called the police....and returned them. The scumbags that did this are hopeless.
Sam

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Apr 13, 2010
So why aren't the scrape dealers who see these thugs coming in with an obvious bronze grave marker for cash asking for some kind of ID before they pay them? Wouldn't that raise some kind of suspicion? I guess these kind of robberies are going underground now. What a tragic story for these families to endure.
formerly really

San Pedro, CA

#8 Apr 13, 2010
The scrap dealers are part of the problem. Do you think they don't know a grave marker when they see one? Fine the hell out of them and thrown the book at the little theiving lowlifes who think it's funny to steal grave markers.
Dominique Carson CA

Bloomington, IL

#9 Apr 13, 2010
What a POS! To steal from the dead and from men who've served our country is so wrong! Really $20-$25???? That's all you're gonna get for your dignity? I agree with some of the other post's that say that anyone who purchases these markers for scrap should be arrested too. This is really low.
kwazy wabbit

Long Beach, CA

#10 Apr 13, 2010
I hope all area recyclers have been notified to look for these plaques, and that those responsible get the maximum sentence. How low can someone be? For $20 worth of metal? That would keep their crack pipe going for a few hours, I guess. Lowly scum, shame on them.
Visiting Cowboy

United States

#11 Apr 13, 2010
Gladiator in Torrance wrote:
Glad to hear the wonderful news coming from the Veterans Administration who will be replacing stolen plaque for Mr. and Mrs. Crain’s son Mark Crain.
That's nice, but I suggest that the RB Police Officer's Association ought to replace them.
WoW

Irvine, CA

#12 Apr 13, 2010
Unfortunately, the area recyclers are just as guilty of this crime as the thieves that stole the grave marker to begin with. I agree that there should be some sort of crime for tampering with a grave should and that include the theft or possession of a grave marker. The penalties need to be as high as the heavens. I would like to see more on-site security at some of these cemeteries to help prevent these crimes in the first place.
pedro sanchez

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Apr 13, 2010
Red neck tweakers for sure. dude!
marianne switter

United States

#15 Apr 13, 2010
This is disgusting! I live in Mesa AZ, and my grandparents are interred at Pacific Crest Cemetery. This situation hits close to home. I hope that the Crains receive the repacement headstone soon, and that the cemetery will take the appropriate measures.. so other thefts don't happen again.
dennis

United States

#16 Apr 13, 2010
hungry illegals........let's have amnesty for

illegal immigrants and get another 3 million in LA
Dave

La Mirada, CA

#17 Apr 13, 2010
WoW wrote:
Unfortunately, the area recyclers are just as guilty of this crime as the thieves that stole the grave marker to begin with. I agree that there should be some sort of crime for tampering with a grave should and that include the theft or possession of a grave marker. The penalties need to be as high as the heavens. I would like to see more on-site security at some of these cemeteries to help prevent these crimes in the first place.
The original story a few days ago stated that the local scrap dealers were notified. There has been no follow-up whether or not the thieves have yet tried to sell the markers. So don't blame the recyclers until there is word that one of them actually was asked to buy the markers. In the USA, one is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Dave

La Mirada, CA

#18 Apr 13, 2010
marianne switter wrote:
This is disgusting! I live in Mesa AZ, and my grandparents are interred at Pacific Crest Cemetery. This situation hits close to home. I hope that the Crains receive the repacement headstone soon, and that the cemetery will take the appropriate measures.. so other thefts don't happen again.
Exactly what actions would you want the cemetery to take? It already is enclosed with high fences and gates that are locked at night. Would you be willing to pay a fee to also provide an armed guard to protect your grandparents grave?
WoW

Irvine, CA

#19 Apr 13, 2010
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
The original story a few days ago stated that the local scrap dealers were notified. There has been no follow-up whether or not the thieves have yet tried to sell the markers. So don't blame the recyclers until there is word that one of them actually was asked to buy the markers. In the USA, one is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Just what is it that you think these tweekers are going to do with a grave marker? They take these things to recyclers because the recyclers will dispose of the item rather quickly which means ZERO evidence whereas a pawn shop has to hold the item for several months before it can be re-sold. Most of these recyclers will take anything that people will bring in. There may be some that abide by the laws, but most will not. They do not want to lose business to a competitor and they are willing to take the risk which makes them just as guilty.
formerly really

San Pedro, CA

#21 Apr 13, 2010
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
If scrap dealers didn't have an established history of this kind of thing you wouldn't have thefts like this as often as you do. It's common knowledge that few scrappers ask for proof of where somthing came from and since it's their business to melt things down, theft is quickly covered up. It's a huge problem; they steal statues, markers, pipe and electrical wires from construction sites or homes and the scrap dealers take it, no questions asked. Come on- do you really think the staue of George Freeth wasn't quickly melted and unreported?
dennis

United States

#23 Apr 13, 2010
"The Veterans Administration will pay for replacement plaques".

leave the mexicans alone!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I am a bisexual 15 year old guy and im attracte... (Oct '11) Sat young_and_hung 9
levas stay indoors! (Jun '08) Fri mr dreamer vuls13 44
el cajon hoodlums gang becoming a problem (Nov '07) Mar 27 mr dreamer vuls13 441
Where do you get your drinking water? Mar 16 bamcapstat 1
illegal immigration (Apr '06) Mar 14 Kpedo 453
Local Politics Do you approve of MARK LEWIS as Mayor? Mar 13 Deon West 1
Poll IS santee still a Racist Town? (Mar '08) Mar 13 Lisa 105
Crest Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Crest People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]