Alpine, Crest, Harbison Canyon Evacuated

Alpine, Crest, Harbison Canyon Evacuated

There are 37 comments on the NBC San Diego story from Oct 22, 2007, titled Alpine, Crest, Harbison Canyon Evacuated. In it, NBC San Diego reports that:

The San Diego County Sheriff's Department ordered mandatory evacuation in the East County communities of west Alpine, Harbison Canyon and Crest Monday afternoon. via NBC San Diego

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC San Diego.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Donna

United States

#21 Oct 25, 2007
As of today, the 25th, should Alpine be concerned with the Harris Fire? How contained is the HArris Fire?
Zelda

Columbia, SC

#22 Oct 25, 2007
Can anyone give an update on Alpine today? Channel 10 has taken it's live stream off the air and we are now getting no information. The help of all of you who answer is appreciated more than you know. I was in the Cedar Fire - My heart and prayers go out to al of you.
Paul

Oceanside, CA

#23 Oct 25, 2007
There was never danger in Alpine.

Evacuations were NEVER ordered for Harbison Canyon, Crest, Western Alpine... only for the Northern End of Peutz Valley.
SOURCE: ALPINE FIRE DEPT.

Of all that happened on these days, what bothered me the most were the "rumors mongers"
katrina

Saint Louis, MO

#24 Oct 25, 2007
can crest people go back home yet?? and whats the zip code there
Jim

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Oct 25, 2007
I have friends in Harbison Canyon.
Any updates out there for this area?
Alice

Poway, CA

#26 Oct 25, 2007
Does anoy body know something about Sun Island Resort?
Paul

Oceanside, CA

#27 Oct 25, 2007
ALPINE has never been in danger.

Evacuation orders were NEVER issued.

Delete the post if you want. This is the truth.
Zelda

Columbia, SC

#28 Oct 25, 2007
I was in the Cedar Fire in Alpine four years ago, I lived on Alpine Heights. I evidently know more about the location than you do. Peutz (pronounced Pitts) Valley is right across the 8 from Harbison Canyon and if there was a fire, could jump the 8 very easily like it did four years ago.

Why don't you ask channel 10 why they are wasting your time. I got the information from their live stream they were running Monday - Wednesday. Information was that Harbison Canyon and West side of Alpine were evacuated. Back in the Cedar Fire I had to evacuate out to El Centro, rumors were flying like crazy then, I guess they might be now too.

Please don't get on a high horse and accuse ANYONE of wasting your time. We who write in to this site are very upset and frustrated that we can't get information as easily as you. We don't need to be berated for that.
Paul wrote:
There was never danger in Alpine.
Evacuations were NEVER ordered for Harbison Canyon, Crest, Western Alpine... only for the Northern End of Peutz Valley.
SOURCE: ALPINE FIRE DEPT.
Of all that happened on these days, what bothered me the most were the "rumors mongers"
Paul

Oceanside, CA

#29 Oct 25, 2007
Zelda wrote:
I was in the Cedar Fire in Alpine four years ago, I lived on Alpine Heights. I evidently know more about the location than you do. Peutz (pronounced Pitts) Valley is right across the 8 from Harbison Canyon and if there was a fire, could jump the 8 very easily like it did four years ago.
Why don't you ask channel 10 why they are wasting your time. I got the information from their live stream they were running Monday - Wednesday. Information was that Harbison Canyon and West side of Alpine were evacuated. Back in the Cedar Fire I had to evacuate out to El Centro, rumors were flying like crazy then, I guess they might be now too.
Please don't get on a high horse and accuse ANYONE of wasting your time. We who write in to this site are very upset and frustrated that we can't get information as easily as you. We don't need to be berated for that.
<quoted text>
I live in Alpine since 1996.

Peutz Valley Road is several miles long and goes all the way into the canyon close to the El Capitan reservoir.
The only evacuation was for the NORTHERN portion of Peutz Valley.

After the Cedar Fire all is left in Peutz Valley is a small Manzanita bush every 10 feet. There is NO fuel.

The "fire" (quotes intentional as it was more of a smoldering) never went past the El Capitan reservoir.

As far as the media... good question... why are they wasting their time? Well #1 many of them don't know where the communities are... and #2 "If you ain't afraid, you ain't watching"
Adelina

United States

#30 Oct 26, 2007
We live in Dehesa Valley-5 miles south west of Alpine. On Monday, when the so-called 'mandatory' evacuation was said to have been ordered; we took several car rides through Harbinson Canyon, passing the road up to Crest and drove the access road back up to Alpine. There were no fires to be seen anywhere! We also spoke to business owners in Harbison Canyon and they reported: Receiving no notice of any kind to evacuate nor reports of any fires within the Crest, Harbinson, or Alpine areas. As we continued our tour; we proceeded through Alpine, headed south on Tavern Rd toward Japatul Valley then turned west back down into Dehesa Valley. At no time did we see any fires! Also, visiting the local market through out the week, we spoke to local residents of Alpine & surrounding areas and none of them reported having received a reverse 911 call or any type of direct order of mandatory evacuation! To the best of our knowledge, this was posted by the media but never transmitted by any authorities. This so called mandatory evacuation was later reported by a local station to have been a mistake and the media report was changed to a voluntary evacuation. This 'mandatory evacuation'was again being reported by the local media during the middle of the week but again was reported as a 'mistake' and changed to a voluntary evacuation!
Jim

Indianapolis, IN

#31 Oct 26, 2007
Reports here in Indianapolis is that roads were closed at S.Bound Japatul @ I-8, Tavern @ S Grade,
Harbison Canyon @ Dehesa & Japatul Rd @ Dehesa/Tavern.
Says they were closed this morning as fire roads only..Anyone out there know of this to be true or not, as with anything, the general public never gets the true story and the media never tells correct. Have friends who live at St George Dr I Harbison Canyon and haven't heard a word from them yet.
Josette

Arvada, CO

#32 Oct 26, 2007
We have friends that live on Harbison Canyon Road and heard there was a mandatory evacuation. We have been unable to contact them. Is that area still evacuated?
Jim

Indianapolis, IN

#33 Oct 26, 2007
Josette wrote:
We have friends that live on Harbison Canyon Road and heard there was a mandatory evacuation. We have been unable to contact them. Is that area still evacuated?
Friends I have out there live right off Harbison Canyon RD on to St George Dr, this is right around Frances Dr and within a couple miles of Mountain View RD.
Sure wish someone in these areas could give us some info. Very worried, cannot get through to them on phones.
Paul

Oceanside, CA

#34 Oct 26, 2007
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Friends I have out there live right off Harbison Canyon RD on to St George Dr, this is right around Frances Dr and within a couple miles of Mountain View RD.
Sure wish someone in these areas could give us some info. Very worried, cannot get through to them on phones.
There is no fire, the fire has never been closer than 5 miles from Alpine.
No evacuations have been ordered for Harbison Canyon or Alpine.
The evacuation closest to Alpine was for Carve Acre (far end of Japatul Valley)

I just got the message that the Alpine schools will reopen on Monday.
Jim

Indianapolis, IN

#35 Oct 27, 2007
Sorry,but I just heard from friends finally and they are all safe but yes, they WERE evacuated and the fire was within 4 miles of Harbison Canyon.
Paul

Oceanside, CA

#36 Oct 27, 2007
Jim wrote:
Sorry,but I just heard from friends finally and they are all safe but yes, they WERE evacuated and the fire was within 4 miles of Harbison Canyon.
They heard RUMORS about an evacuation and/or decide to leave (fully understandable btw after 2003).

I went in person at the Alpine Fire Station to verify the situation on Monday afternoon, because my wife wanted to leave after receiving a call from a well intentioned (but panicky) friend.

The personnel was REALLY frustrated about the rumors:
"We heard rumors that Crest is on fire that Harbison Canyon is evacuated... what's next? People is going crazy and the media too."

You may be right about 4 miles instead of 5 miles... WTF knows? Since the flames were maybe 2 feet tall given the lack of fuel in the El Capitan canyon??
It was like watching the candles at a cemetery
Steve - San Francisco

United States

#37 Oct 27, 2007
Just talked to a friend who lives on Japatul Road and he said the fire danger there is pretty much over. Said his property is covered in an inch of ash and it looks like it just snowed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Men in pantyhose Oct 18 Doopers 2
rainbow cult (May '10) Oct 15 Playboybandz 37
News Haunted: Jamul, California; Reported: August 31... (Oct '07) Sep '17 Sad explorer 52
El cajon orphans gang (May '11) Sep '17 Og Capone 48
el cajon hoodlums gang becoming a problem (Nov '07) Sep '17 Og Capone 509
Review: Takelessons Music Lessons (Dec '09) Sep '17 Anonymous NJ 10
News There was a cardboard cutout at Duncan Hunter's... Aug '17 Canada no better 1

Crest Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crest Mortgages