Alpine, Crest, Harbison Canyon Evacuated

Alpine, Crest, Harbison Canyon Evacuated

There are 37 comments on the NBC San Diego story from Oct 22, 2007, titled Alpine, Crest, Harbison Canyon Evacuated. In it, NBC San Diego reports that:

The San Diego County Sheriff's Department ordered mandatory evacuation in the East County communities of west Alpine, Harbison Canyon and Crest Monday afternoon. via NBC San Diego

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC San Diego.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Al Frankeberger

Davis, CA

#1 Oct 23, 2007
Anyone heard if in Harbison Canyon the fire danger has lessened or any homes destroyed there?
My friend Bob Fligg lost three homes there in the Cedar Fire.
Brad

Alpine, CA

#2 Oct 23, 2007
Al, I do not believe that the fire entered Harbison Canyon. No homes or buildings have burned.

The winds have been fairly calm since early this morning. The concern now (the the strong easterly winds have subsided) is that the Harris fire is moving north faster now than the last couple of days. The situation in and around Japatul Valley, Dehesa Valley, Harbison Canyon and surrounding areas need to be monitored.

At this time, there is no immediate threat.
Al Frankeberger

Davis, CA

#3 Oct 23, 2007
Thanks for the update.It was greatly appreciated.Please post any news if the situation changes. Al F.
Brad wrote:
Al, I do not believe that the fire entered Harbison Canyon. No homes or buildings have burned.
The winds have been fairly calm since early this morning. The concern now (the the strong easterly winds have subsided) is that the Harris fire is moving north faster now than the last couple of days. The situation in and around Japatul Valley, Dehesa Valley, Harbison Canyon and surrounding areas need to be monitored.
At this time, there is no immediate threat.
Zelda

Columbia, SC

#4 Oct 24, 2007
What is the status of the fire in Alpine at this time? I used to live on Alpine Heights which is on top of Harbison Canyon. I'm concerned about a lot of friends there.
Brad

Alpine, CA

#5 Oct 24, 2007
Zelda... There is no immediate threat to Alpine at this time.

With that being said, there are some concerns.

NE winds in this area have picked up around 2am.

From the west end of Alpine Heights fire is visible north of Interstate 8. The visible fire is better described as smoldering embers. The fire is not raging and is very slowly working it's way down the hills on both sides of El Capitan reservoir. The leading edges should be entering Peutz Valley around this time.

A few fire crews have positioned themselves along Peutz Valley Road and Interstate 8. With the current conditions and fire behavior, it is unlikely that the fire will jump Interstate 8.
Danielle

Morton Grove, IL

#6 Oct 24, 2007
Does anyone know if Lakeside, CA has been effected?
Brad

Alpine, CA

#7 Oct 24, 2007
Lakeside has not been affected. They are not totally out of the woods yet. Still a little iffy, but I think they are in good shape.

Lakeside needs to keep an eye on the southern finger of the Witch fire which is moving down from the North. And a little less likely to be affected by the Harris fire to the South.
Mitzi

Louisville, KY

#8 Oct 24, 2007
I have friends in El Cajon,how close is the fire???
Brad

Alpine, CA

#9 Oct 24, 2007
Mitzi wrote:
I have friends in El Cajon,how close is the fire???
It depends on which part of El Cajon they are in. If they are in the north parts, they should be okay. If they are in the southeast part of the city they need to keep a close on whats going on with the Harris fire.
Rae

Farmington, MI

#10 Oct 24, 2007
I have friends in Ganite Hills. any word on how close the fires are to Granite Hills
sharon in San Antonio

Austin, TX

#11 Oct 24, 2007
Does anyone know where Summerhill Terrace is in Alpine? It is a street and I would like to know what the name of the subdivision is. My buddy lives on that street and I can't get ahold of her thru email. Did they evacuate that street?
Amy

Wilton, ND

#12 Oct 24, 2007
I am looking for information on the town of Alpine. I dont know a lot about it.... one of the men I support has a sister and step-father there and is very concerned about them. We have been trying to call for 3 days and only get answering machine. Thank you for any information!!
zjtka

Escondido, CA

#13 Oct 24, 2007
Rae wrote:
I have friends in Ganite Hills. any word on how close the fires are to Granite Hills
Granite hills is ok. The only concern in that area is the rancho san diego area. Don't believe it will reach granite hills, so they are safe.
Jim in Springfield

Corvallis, OR

#14 Oct 24, 2007
Anyone know how Dunbar Lane North of I-8 is faring? The only maps I can find do not show any fire in the area yet they are all evacuated.
rare

San Diego, CA

#15 Oct 24, 2007
santee? anyone?
Aubrie Laree Fleet

Oroville, CA

#16 Oct 24, 2007
has the fir hit Crest? my whole family is there?
Brad

Alpine, CA

#17 Oct 24, 2007
sharon in San Antonio wrote:
Does anyone know where Summerhill Terrace is in Alpine? It is a street and I would like to know what the name of the subdivision is. My buddy lives on that street and I can't get ahold of her thru email. Did they evacuate that street?
Sharon.. Summerhill Terrace is at the extreme north end of Harbison Canyon in Alpine. Here are some of the areas (terms) that you should listen for that could be of concern for Summerhill Terrace...

Hunter Pass
Galloway Valley
Alpine
Harbison Canyon
Glen Oaks
Peutz Valley (pronounced "Pitts Valley)
Dunbar Lane
Crest

Summerhill Terrace was in a volunteer evactuation area on Monday. That was lifted and residents were allowed to return. There was no damage and no fire entered the area.
Ole and Lena

Portland, OR

#18 Oct 24, 2007
We have very good freinds in Alpine, Will they be safe?
michelle

Olympia, WA

#19 Oct 24, 2007
My family is on Japatul Valley Rd, how far is the fire from there? I can't get hold of my dad or brother.
Brad

Alpine, CA

#20 Oct 24, 2007
Santee is Safe.
-------

Dunbar Lane North of I8 should be okay. They need to keep an eye on embers from small spot fires near El Monte park and El Capitan reservoir. They should be okay. No immediate threat.

----------

Crest should be okay. There is no immediate threat. The fire has not affected Crest at all.

----------

Alpine is safe. The only concerns are for the extreme southern sections of Alpine in the Japatul Valley areas. People in those areas should pay close attention to the Harris fire burning to their south.

Another minor concern for Alpine is at the northwest of town near Harbison/Dunbar/Blossom Valley/Peutz Valley/El Capitan. See notes regarding Dunbar Lane above.

There is no immediate threat. The rest of Alpine is safe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Haunted: Jamul, California; Reported: August 31... (Oct '07) Jul 25 Jamulian 50
El cajon orphans gang (May '11) Jul 24 Ahm 31
el cajon hoodlums gang becoming a problem (Nov '07) Jul 18 ShAkEs 441
News 2 Teenagers Stabbed In El Cajon (May '06) Jul 11 ecls 338
News Concern: Study says kids drink lots of soda. (Sep '09) Jul 11 Miss Id 2
Poll Is Ken Rupe still an obnoxious a-hole (Dec '07) Jul 9 Eric 29
bad f up who rent just to \tim abbott Jul 3 caring person 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crest Mortgages